Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

02 EP3 Civic SI vs New 07 Impreza 2.5i

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 EP3 Civic SI vs New 07 Impreza 2.5i

I need to make a decision here on what my next car will be. I am looking to save some money over the next few years so that I can get the new Evo X when it comes out. I have narrowed it down to a 2002 Honda Civic SI with lots of carbon goodies and a few engine mods and a Lease on a brand new Subaru Impreza 2.5i. I have owned the EP3 before and I do like the car but have never owned an Impreza. Any thoughts on these two cars?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

I would lease the impreza, that model si is a fugly minivan imo. I much rather have the previous gen civic si over the 02
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

I am also considering an 01 - 03 VW Jetta.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wait on the Evo X.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Neither.

The 2.5i is very slow and boaring. The Si is peppy but torqueless. You could get a used ralliart for cheaper and smash both those cars easy (stock vs. stock and mod. vs. mod). Than trade in your RA for a Evo X and mitsu will throw you a g towards the trade in of the X just for having a mitsu.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
Neither.

The 2.5i is very slow and boaring. The Si is peppy but torqueless. You could get a used ralliart for cheaper and smash both those cars easy (stock vs. stock and mod. vs. mod). Than trade in your RA for a Evo X and mitsu will throw you a g towards the trade in of the X just for having a mitsu.
Umm... no.. hell no.. a ralliart? you got be kidding

The guy wants a sports car, not a regular evo wannabe

I take the SI, simply because I wouldn't lease a car
Old Feb 9, 2007, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

my dad has a 2.5rs and ive driven ep3 at my old work at honda.

2.5rs is good for everyday driving but it is boring. you mind as well drive a camry or accord.

ep3 is underpowered but still fun. id get a ep3 over a ralliart lancer any day.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

also you can consider rsx type-s. and dont get a vdub jetta...you'll have electrical problems and maintenace is expensive
Old Feb 9, 2007, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
Neither.

+1
Wouldnt lease a car so no on that, The Si I believe is a nice looking car and can be fast if done right but like said b4 its torqueless. you may have 200 HP but like 120-130 Tq.. I would say ralliart also since it is a fun car, its nice because of the torque it has and the stock suspension isnt too bad. and also the loyalty trade in for the Evo X your waiting for
Old Feb 11, 2007, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

So it sounds like the SI is the way to go. I don’t think I would even consider the Lancer RA. Her is a link to the SI I am looking at.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95769

I also like the RSX but it may be out of my budget. Another car that looks interesting is the mazdaspeed MP3.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Two days ago I added an Impreza 2.5i to my collection. I love it! Great daily driver!
Old Feb 11, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

the impreza 2.5i is one best options out there.. its nowhere near the evo/sti. but it holds its weight within its class.. awd, 170(?)hp, 2006's highest rated crash testing car, in the top 3 for rebiability (next to the corolla, civic)... how much excitment are you expecting from a brand new car starting only at 18 grand...

assuming u like hatches since u chose the EP3, maybe u should wait a month or two and wait for the official picture releases of the impreza hatch (since ull be leasing anyways)

Last edited by X_Dragon; Feb 11, 2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by AzBlackEvo8
Umm... no.. hell no.. a ralliart? you got be kidding

The guy wants a sports car, not a regular evo wannabe

I take the SI, simply because I wouldn't lease a car
Kid, don't make yourself look anymore stupid.

The SI is not a sports car, how dare you even mention that. It is slow, torqueless and looks like an egg. Its a sorry excuse for a honda and even worse for owning a 'SI' badge. The k20a3 is a weak motor and make lil to no power with mods. Even the i-vTEC on that thing is a sorry excuse for topend power, more like fuel economy topend. At full throttle the damn car sounds like bees at a honeycomb convention and moves like a tortoises in a rabbit race,

P.S. Have fun waiting for (so called) vTEC to kick in @5200rpms, while the ralliart MIVEC kicks in @3500rpms and pulls all the way to redline. Also, no you will not catch up or reel the ralliart in, with a dyno of 148wtrq to the SI 119wtq all you will see is the mitsubishi logo. If you want even more proof of how easy a ralliart can do a ep3 hatch in, just youtube 'run sir ralliart' and watch the movies ive produce of my dd ralliart.

To the OTS:
Buy a 2.5i. Don't even waste your time on the worse 'SI' to ever come out in the honda camp. I would rather buy a base rsx than a ep3 hatch, plus you can't beat new car smell. Also you link does not work if your not a member of the ephatch forums.

Last edited by Arithmetic; Feb 13, 2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a pic of the EP3. I am also talking with another guy that has a 99 SI. It is sounding more and more like the 02 SI is out of the picture.
Attached Thumbnails 02 EP3 Civic SI vs New 07 Impreza 2.5i-ep3_1.jpg  
Old Feb 11, 2007, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

I have looked into the non Evo lancer and I amnot a huge fan. I hate the looks of it and I am not that impressed with the motor. To say that the Lancer motor is that much better then the Honda K20 is a Joke.

Quick Reply: 02 EP3 Civic SI vs New 07 Impreza 2.5i