Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Lotus Elise

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, but how many people buy a Lotus Elise for the purpose of daily transportation? I know I wont be using mine for a daily driven when/if I trade the Evo in.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

^ I know my friend's boss has one for a DD Actually he has an Exige.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

i think the elise is ugly looks like a MR2..however..the exige on the ohter hand is pure sex
Old Apr 1, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

it's a toyota celica motor.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliArtEvoVIII
i think the elise is ugly looks like a MR2..however..the exige on the ohter hand is pure sex
Huh? They look very much the same besides some aerodynamic aids and revised area over the engine...
Old Apr 1, 2007, 09:51 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

It is definitely a hard core daily driver. I came very close to swapping my Evo last year for one and then sobered up

They are very neat but have their quirks. I have read that you don’t want to park on a hill in the rain as water will trickle into boot (trunk). Getting in and out when the top is on is also a complete pita as it has large sills not much head room -- more of a graceful fall. It is also very Spartan and the stereo sucks. This is great if you are into it (I am) but daily it is quite a sacrifice.

I put 900 miles on a previous gen in Scotland a couple years back (read sig if interested in pics). It was a lot of fun but really showed how hard it would be daily.

If you are into track time and want a fun car then go for it
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JTB
It is definitely a hard core daily driver. I came very close to swapping my Evo last year for one and then sobered up

They are very neat but have their quirks. I have read that you don’t want to park on a hill in the rain as water will trickle into boot (trunk). Getting in and out when the top is on is also a complete pita as it has large sills not much head room -- more of a graceful fall. It is also very Spartan and the stereo sucks. This is great if you are into it (I am) but daily it is quite a sacrifice.

I put 900 miles on a previous gen in Scotland a couple years back (read sig if interested in pics). It was a lot of fun but really showed how hard it would be daily.

If you are into track time and want a fun car then go for it

Very well said. About the boot, thats funny you mention that. When I went for my test drive the one car I looked at indeed has some water in the stowage area behind the engine as it had rained a few hours earlier. Honestly I wish I could have my Evo and the Elise. I plan to check your pictures out tomorrow when I can take advantage of a non-656k connection, haha.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 07:42 PM

I wish there was a picture of an elise next to something so I knew how small it really was.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That Elise is one MEAN sounding car. I mean go-cart...or..car..whatever.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RichEd223
I wish there was a picture of an elise next to something so I knew how small it really was.
Heres a picture of one next to a Mazda 3, with a Saturn Sky close by. Its small.
Attached Thumbnails Lotus Elise-lotus-20saturn.jpg  
Old Apr 4, 2007, 08:04 AM

Where in the hell did you get that picture! Where you flying around in your helo looking for a damn Elise parked in a lot? This car seems like it'd be the best handling car known to man being it is so dinky. I dunno though, they look SICKKK on that show bull run with the black wheels but next to other cars they look dinky... not intimidating at ALL. Don't they lay down 12.7 ish 1/4 mile times? with 0-60 mph that rivals 03-04 Cobras? What's the gas mileage like? Are they THAT big of a pain in the *** to drive daily? Wonder how they would do in snow, they are very intriguing. Like a street version of an Atom.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 08:41 AM

if they can stock turbo'd they would be such a bigger beast. some guys have done aftermarket turbo's on em but cost alot of reliability issues. but they are the sexiest looking car hands down.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Is the Lotus 2 Eleven available in the states? I think its the fastest factory Lotus so far..

Old Apr 4, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

The 2-eleven is just a concept car at the moment.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RichEd223
Where in the hell did you get that picture! Where you flying around in your helo looking for a damn Elise parked in a lot? This car seems like it'd be the best handling car known to man being it is so dinky. I dunno though, they look SICKKK on that show bull run with the black wheels but next to other cars they look dinky... not intimidating at ALL. Don't they lay down 12.7 ish 1/4 mile times? with 0-60 mph that rivals 03-04 Cobras? What's the gas mileage like? Are they THAT big of a pain in the *** to drive daily? Wonder how they would do in snow, they are very intriguing. Like a street version of an Atom.
The Elise is not about intimidating. I dont know if any owner can quote a 0-60 or quarter mile time, its not the point of the car...

The picture came from Elisetalk.com by the way.