Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Caterham motor discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caterham motor discussion

Well this summer my project car will most likely be a Caterham 7 and I'm looking at engine solutions for it.

Right now I'm deciding against using Caterhams Ford motor they usually use for something different. the thing is I don't know what I want yet!

My friend has an RB motor looking to sell but I decided to still with an I4 because whats the point in building a caterham if you just going to weight it down.

This is mostly going to be a track car and some weekend driving.

So far I have thought about:

Chevy's Ecotec engine, good potential, but quickly misjudged by most
4g63 obviously because I drive a evo, great backing for the motor, parts easily available, one of the more "simple" motors (relatively speaking)

I don't think the K20 or any Vtec type motor would be appropriate for its use.

Any suggestions on motors or comments on the two I'm thinking about would be great!
Old Apr 6, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zoxygen
Well this summer my project car will most likely be a Caterham 7 and I'm looking at engine solutions for it.

Right now I'm deciding against using Caterhams Ford motor they usually use for something different. the thing is I don't know what I want yet!

My friend has an RB motor looking to sell but I decided to still with an I4 because whats the point in building a caterham if you just going to weight it down.

This is mostly going to be a track car and some weekend driving.

So far I have thought about:

Chevy's Ecotec engine, good potential, but quickly misjudged by most
4g63 obviously because I drive a evo, great backing for the motor, parts easily available, one of the more "simple" motors (relatively speaking)

I don't think the K20 or any Vtec type motor would be appropriate for its use.

Any suggestions on motors or comments on the two I'm thinking about would be great!
I would get either the ecotec or evo setup, whichever has a better weight distribution for your goals...
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Doing more research it seems mating a RWD tranny with the 4g63 will take quite a bit more work then a Ecotec (which already has rwd solutions)
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Talk to JTB He's got one..
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

BUSA turbo

there was one in pratical sports car mag that i have wet dreams about!
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

An S2000 motor (F series? I think...) would probably be a lot of fun.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

The ecotec motor can really crank out huge hp...Although you likely don't need that much with the Caterham chasis (light) to make it fly....
Old Apr 7, 2007, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Ive seen a couple people who've put rotary engines in theirs. People use tons of different engines in those things, do a search for Lo-Cost 7's and you'll find some good forums on them I used to check out all the time.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Alright, quick update on my searches, F22 and F20 are too tall to fit without a buldge, 4g63 has no rwd trannies except two rare ones, Ecotec is a bit shy of my HP goal for NA.

Im thinking I might go with a Renesis (rx-8) but they seem to be pretty rare atm

I also just found out that the VQ motor is suprisingly light at about 340 pounds so that might be somthing

Last edited by Zoxygen; Apr 7, 2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:16 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Are you sure on the F20 needing a bulge? I've seen a couple and I don't remember either having a hood modification.

What are your HP goals? A Caterham with 250 HP (about what you'd get with a F20 or EcoTec) is ludicrously fast already.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zoxygen
Alright, quick update on my searches, F22 and F20 are too tall to fit without a buldge, 4g63 has no rwd trannies except two rare ones, Ecotec is a bit shy of my HP goal for NA.

Im thinking I might go with a Renesis (rx-8) but they seem to be pretty rare atm

I also just found out that the VQ motor is suprisingly light at about 340 pounds so that might be somthing
Buschur makes adapter plates to use a sb chevy trans for the 4g63, the setup they use for Starions. I dont know how big the trans tunnel is on the super 7 and if it will be big enough for a chevy trans, but if you really want to go evo powered, they're the people to get the stuff from to do it!
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cij911
The ecotec motor can really crank out huge hp...Although you likely don't need that much with the Caterham chasis (light) to make it fly....
I think I read the Ecotec is GM's lightest engine ever produced. I'd strongly lean towards less weight in your circumstances.

How about the Yamaha/Toyota 2JZE (or something like that) used in the Celica GTS and the Lotus Elise. 180-190hp in a small 1.8L.
I had 2 GTS's and they were light and a lotta fun.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

I think a rotory is a horrible idea, SO unreliable; not to mention that when people swap them out in FD rx7's for LS1's the car ends up weighing less than stock...

You can't fit an LS1 in there? If people put them in Miata's i don't see why a caterham can't fit one...

I think your next best bet is the 2jze or the k20; I'm sure Lotus and Ariel don't run them for no reason... 1000cc street bike motor would be cool too.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:20 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

How did I miss this thread

Which 7 are you planning to purchase? Have you talked to RMSCI? I know that they recently have had an owner put a turbo Miata engine in a 7 and it is nearing completion.

I am presently running the SVT engine with throttle body per cylinder fuel injection setup -- all controlled by the Pectel ECU. It put down about 170whp on a Dyno Dynamics dyno so very respectable.

You are running into the same problem many 7 owners have in the past – the height of the engine. This is definitely one of the reasons you don’t see too many Honda powered 7s.

How about the V8 R1 motorcycle engine?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:25 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
How about a flat 6 out of a Boxster.

Quick Reply: Caterham motor discussion