Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

5.0 Liter Lexus IS-F over 400hp

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdking57
which one.. they are real sports cars for one thing.. you cannot compare the lexus IS-F to carrera.. Plus, as few as they well they do it right with the GT3 and GT3 RS. Plus I wont even mention looks here.. clearly the cayman is sexier in ever regard over the lexus ISF or M3. Saw one in british racing green with tan interior yesterday! The cayman is also no where near as soft nor luxurious as an m3 or lexus... and the GT3 and GT3RS are NOT luxury at all. The great thing about porshe is they let they consumer choose.. lets see, do I want an overweight pig that will make my wife happy? Or do I want the strip out track model.... but the platform as flexibility.. everyone else is going to way of cookie cutter, one size fits all over engineered slowness.
I would agree with you, but you made a statement about class and performance. Porsches have both in most (if not all) of their iterations.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

any idea on the price weight of the is-f? or is this information far from being available.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Don't waste your time. He's one of those that confuses his opinion with fact and then can't support it.
Yeah you have a good point

Wood grain interior, carbon fiber roof, navigation system, leather seats, 0-60 in low 4 sec and 12-13 sec 1/4 mi. If that's not a combination of class and performance. I don't know what is.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DanJ
any idea on the price weight of the is-f? or is this information far from being available.
I don't think they release the price tag of that thing yet. But with the IS 350 fully opt going for $45K, I'm guess that the IS-F is probably going to be in high 50K to low 60K.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by tvbf1
I don't think they release the price tag of that thing yet. But with the IS 350 fully opt going for $45K, I'm guess that the IS-F is probably going to be in high 50K to low 60K.
I am guessing low to mid 50s. With the M3 expected to come in at $55k, I would expect the IS to be the same or maybe even a bit cheaper.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
I am guessing low to mid 50s. With the M3 expected to come in at $55k, I would expect the IS to be the same or maybe even a bit cheaper.
No Way! I'm not trying to argue, but the current M3 are in the mid 50K right?

The new M3 with it's new shell, V8, carbon fiber roof for the same price. If it's true, that would be a bargain for those who can afford it.

I don't know why Lexus haven't launch their IS-F yet. I would had put it in the show room already to take some of the buyer from the M3. But then again, who are we to decide their business strategies.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by doccommando
I would agree with you, but you made a statement about class and performance. Porsches have both in most (if not all) of their iterations.
The GT3 RS does not have class and refinement its a hardcore enthusiast car! If your talking about having the classic sexy shape that drives girls wild.. well then agreed, they all have it but having a classy shape, and having the refined ride that wouldnt upset your grandmother is an entirely different story...
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

those who think they can get class and performance in a car are delusional... These luxury sport sedans are specificly targeted at the delusional yuppy. This car also fails to look classy...looks like some riced out toyota camry.
Says the guy with the riced out Lancer? Oh its an Evo my mistake

Heaven forbid car manufacturer's should build cars that have a luxurious ride, and great performance. When was over 400hp not enough?

It Lexus quality, 400hp performance sedan. Its not made to take to your local SCCA track and tear up. Its made to have a great amount of power, and torque, and be comfortable. Id take a "Riced Out Camry" over a "Riced out Lancer" anyday.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah you have a good point

Wood grain interior, carbon fiber roof, navigation system, leather seats, 0-60 in low 4 sec and 12-13 sec 1/4 mi. If that's not a combination of class and performance. I don't know what is.
and for the same price after you add in the typical BMW (dont forget that 3K gas guzzler charge which BMW cant beat) or lexus options... you can get mid 3 sec 0-60, low 11 - 10 second 1/4, 198mph top speed 1g+ in turns, sub 3100lbs curb weight, cf body + 28mpg, more sex appeal + crazy mod potential so clearly its a choice in where your priorities are.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

The GT3 RS does not have class and refinement its a hardcore enthusiast car! If your talking about having the classic sexy shape that drives girls wild.. well then agreed, they all have it but having a classy shape, and having the refined ride that wouldnt upset your grandmother is an entirely different story...
I think you're misunderstanding the original post. What he meant by class, is that the car is classy, elegant, and icon for money, or a symbol protruding that you have money.

He does not meant that the car rides like Mercedes S class and it also performs like Porsche.

But anyway you're wrong. A car can have both. Look at the M3, M5, E55, CLS55. They all have luxury interior (leather seats, navigation system, etc) and yet it can tear up the road course and yet be comfortable on the street. Combining class, luxury and performance is not something impossible or delusional in your case.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

and for the same price after you add in the typical BMW (dont forget that 3K gas guzzler charge which BMW cant beat) or lexus options... you can get mid 3 sec 0-60, low 11 - 10 second 1/4, 198mph top speed 1g+ in turns, sub 3100lbs curb weight, cf body + 28mpg, more sex appeal + crazy mod potential so clearly its a choice in where your priorities are.
Ummm you got a point, I'll give that to you.

But we're talking about incorporating Class/Luxury with performance, not buying an affordable performance car and modifying it to beat a more expensive car.

Last edited by tvbf1; Apr 11, 2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Im still not seeing the point in trying to get two completely different things and bogging both down a result. Best example, last year saw the dodge challenger and chrysler imperial prototypes cruising for a photo op... similiar SRT8 engines in both, however that imperial was not trying to be performance oriented..hottest car I have seen in along time! It was the modern version of a pierce arrow! That was the true luxury look, not the boring garbarge lexus shells out.... then you had the challenger, retro american muscle car and all about going fast... both cars built on the same platform and yet completely different.

http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/1/bilde.jpg

Now we go to RS4, M3, ISF... notice how each one of these car looks exactly the same? wow fender flairs? no style? or originality?

I dont drive an evo anymore sadly, which looks the way it does because its an iconic rally car and stays true to its racing heritage in looks and performance.

Last time I checked, the M3 was a same car being used by the BMW racing team.. i.e. its created in the spirit of BMW "racing" now I guess since BMW lost sight of this and decided to ***** out the M tag, its ok for me to lower my expectations and allow lexus to follow suite and make another pseudo enthusiast car. 400bhp is not alot when your talking about a heavy car, so I guess I should be asking, when will toyota release a real performance car again?

Personally, I would never support a car company that doesnt at least front a racing team for their high performance halo car. toyota = boring. oh wait, I forgot about the nascar!

Originally Posted by FastCoEVO
Says the guy with the riced out Lancer? Oh its an Evo my mistake

Heaven forbid car manufacturer's should build cars that have a luxurious ride, and great performance. When was over 400hp not enough?

It Lexus quality, 400hp performance sedan. Its not made to take to your local SCCA track and tear up. Its made to have a great amount of power, and torque, and be comfortable. Id take a "Riced Out Camry" over a "Riced out Lancer" anyday.

Last edited by bdking57; Apr 11, 2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

lol... I was taking about the z06 btw.. not modding an evo.

Ummm you got a point, I'll give that to you.

But we're talking about incorporating Class/Luxury with performance, not buying an affordable performance car and modifying it to beat a more expensive car.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Toyota has the Lexus SC 430 in JGTC 500. The IS-F 5.0 liter came from that racing series. Not to mention that Toyota are incorporating F1 technology into their Lexus and Toyota brand.

You're making fun of RS4, M3 and the IS-F looking the same as it's counter part. But look at the Magnum, Charger, Mustang Gt500 and the C6 Z06. How much different are they to the lower version? Basically just a little flared fender and cosmetic work as well.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:44 PM
Account Disabled

Looks nice.

Last edited by Vigo; Apr 11, 2007 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Liter Lexus IS-F over 400hp