Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

5.0 Liter Lexus IS-F over 400hp

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tvbf1
Toyota has the Lexus SC 430 in JGTC 500. The IS-F 5.0 liter came from that racing series. Not to mention that Toyota are incorporating F1 technology into their Lexus and Toyota brand.

You're making fun of RS4, M3 and the IS-F looking the same as it's counter part. But look at the Magnum, Charger, Mustang Gt500 and the C6 Z06. How much different are they to the lower version? Basically just a little flared fender and cosmetic work as well.
SC430 needs to be in Lemans.. no one cars about JGTC. Who the hell are they competing against? A bunch of privateers in porshes? How about manning up against BMW racing since they are trying to steal some of their market share.

Also, compare how unique the lines are between the GT500, corvette, 300c srt8, challenger, camaro prototype.. now line up all those cars compared to a photo spread of the before mentioned which all are pretty much the exact same car.

A guestimation of the curb weight put the car at 3715.. no idea of the addition of the v8 will add to this curb weight or not...however I did read of an IS-F evo? stripped out carbon fiber body edition!... now were talking!

Last edited by bdking57; Apr 11, 2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

For your information, JGTC 500 now GT 500 is one of the fastest growing form of motorsports. The veiwing numbers are growing rapidly. NASCAR was fighting to not let them in the U.S. because they fear that they're going to steal away the viewers.

From what you're saying the Mustang GT500, corvette Z06, SRT8 Magnum, Charger does not look anything alike to the regular mustang, corvette, magnum or charger? You're saying that they look way different as the IS 350 to the IS-F or A4 to the RS4? Get real.

It seem as thought nothing can compare to the domestic cars or companies in your view. Toyota builds boring cars that looks the same and that's why they brought in revenue of over 5 billion while GM filed bankrupt, Ford is under revamp, and Chrysler is getting bought out.

Originally Posted by bdking57
SC430 needs to be in Lemans.. no one cars about JGTC. Who the hell are they competing against? A bunch of privateers in porshes? How about manning up against BMW racing since they are trying to steal some of their market share.

Also, compare how unique the lines are between the GT500, corvette, 300c srt8, challenger, camaro prototype.. now line up all those cars compared to a photo spread of the before mentioned which all are pretty much the exact same car.

A guestimation of the curb weight put the car at 3715.. no idea of the addition of the v8 will add to this curb weight or not...however I did read of an IS-F evo? stripped out carbon fiber body edition!... now were talking!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:30 PM
Account Disabled

I have a feeling that the Lexus IS will replace the SC430 in Super GT500.

Last edited by Vigo; Apr 11, 2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
then again i dont think this car was made to stomp the m3...... definetly in the same class but the new m3's gonna be such a beast
It was stated that the Lexus, originally called IS500, IS-F was targetting the M3. Early rumors claimed a 5.0L 500hp V8, but I guess they lowered it down to 400+. Not bad, looks great btw, but IMO I still dont think its enough to trump the M3 nor the RS4.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

I really dont prefer the domestics at all in overall quality other then the halo cars.. im talking about making a good looking car though. And you keep missing what im saying here.. the Challenger, looks nothing like the mustang.. these cars break the mold.

For your information, JGTC 500 now GT 500 is one of the fastest growing form of motorsports. The veiwing numbers are growing rapidly. NASCAR was fighting to not let them in the U.S. because they fear that they're going to steal away the viewers.

From what you're saying the Mustang GT500, corvette Z06, SRT8 Magnum, Charger does not look anything alike to the regular mustang, corvette, magnum or charger? You're saying that they look way different as the IS 350 to the IS-F or A4 to the RS4? Get real.

It seem as thought nothing can compare to the domestic cars or companies in your view. Toyota builds boring cars that looks the same and that's why they brought in revenue of over 5 billion while GM filed bankrupt, Ford is under revamp, and Chrysler is getting bought out.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

What channel is it on again? Never seen it.. . The japanese cars can go hide out in whichever racing arena they want.. What do they expect, other companies to pull resources from a historic seires such as lemans to go face them? Bottom line.. c6r built to GT500 specs would mop the floor of all challengers for the next decade.. Corvette Racing, nor any of the other lemans teams need to prove anything to the JGTC crowd, however the later is always going to be looked down upon by the lemans teams.

JGTC is no different then the canadian football league

Originally Posted by stealthdrive_17
It was stated that the Lexus, originally called IS500, IS-F was targetting the M3. Early rumors claimed a 5.0L 500hp V8, but I guess they lowered it down to 400+. Not bad, looks great btw, but IMO I still dont think its enough to trump the M3 nor the RS4.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

I doubt the m3 is going to be out pacing the evo X or next gen STi... Its overweight, overpriced, and lost focus of what it means to where the M badge.
To "where" the M badge? Such meaningful words from such an intelligent critic, ladies and gentlemen.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:16 AM

cool car but the price tag might be too steep for me.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Varrius
To "where" the M badge? Such meaningful words from such an intelligent critic, ladies and gentlemen.
Yeah I think we have a winner for the statement of the year contest
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

http://supergt.net/en/

You can go search about it on that link, but I think you're so hard headed that you won't give up your thinking. LeMans use to be interesting when the series was cheaper and it allowed more privateers to join the competition.

In SuperGT, the mojority of the field are privateers and they go racing out of their passion. There are factory backing, but a large budget does not mean that you're going to in SuperGT. The rules are set so that no team can run away with the championship. There's Ferarri, BMW and Porsche and they do pretty decent. The series is a year long event, not a one time race you can dump your resource into just one event of the year.

Oh by the way, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me and some others out there, the RS4, M3, and IS-F look better then the Mustang or Chellanger. Audi, BMW and Lexus are engineering marvels where they incorporate advance technology in them. The Mustang still use a single solid rear axle and it still uses the same chasis as it did back in 50's.

What channel is it on again? Never seen it.. . The japanese cars can go hide out in whichever racing arena they want.. What do they expect, other companies to pull resources from a historic seires such as lemans to go face them? Bottom line.. c6r built to GT500 specs would mop the floor of all challengers for the next decade.. Corvette Racing, nor any of the other lemans teams need to prove anything to the JGTC crowd, however the later is always going to be looked down upon by the lemans teams.

JGTC is no different then the canadian football league
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I think we have a winner for the statement of the year contest
Great.. so now we are resorting to internet spelling analysis instead of presenting a compelling argument. Most people participating in forum in the middle of the day are juggling multi tasking at work and have their head in other too many other places to worry about forum grammar. It wouldnt really matter that I am busy solving major business problems for the largest food company in world while taking a 10 secs. to post a response on a forum or that my fingers do not always sync with my brain, but for some reason that is your measurement of intellect. Maybe time I shall just provide a chart showing the rapid decline in intrest from enthusiast in the M series.

Last edited by bdking57; Apr 12, 2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

yes and the rules are ridiculous.. every time you win you get penalized more weight? Its really encouraging people to go out or not throw the race huh.. Hey here is a thought, why dont manufacturers create production type cars that are not overweight underpowered pigs and actually have a chance to compete instead of using handicaps to be competitive.

Compeition used to drive the car industry... am I asking to much here? I dont understand. Clearly, we would all be having more fun with all the cars on a similiar stage.

http://supergt.net/en/

You can go search about it on that link, but I think you're so hard headed that you won't give up your thinking. LeMans use to be interesting when the series was cheaper and it allowed more privateers to join the competition.

In SuperGT, the mojority of the field are privateers and they go racing out of their passion. There are factory backing, but a large budget does not mean that you're going to in SuperGT. The rules are set so that no team can run away with the championship. There's Ferarri, BMW and Porsche and they do pretty decent. The series is a year long event, not a one time race you can dump your resource into just one event of the year.

Oh by the way, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me and some others out there, the RS4, M3, and IS-F look better then the Mustang or Chellanger. Audi, BMW and Lexus are engineering marvels where they incorporate advance technology in them. The Mustang still use a single solid rear axle and it still uses the same chasis as it did back in 50's.

Last edited by bdking57; Apr 12, 2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:17 AM

nothing bad about it
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

yes and the rules are ridiculous.. every time you win you get penalized more weight? Its really encouraging people to go out or not throw the race huh.. Hey here is a thought, why dont manufacturers create production type cars that are not overweight underpowered pigs and actually have a chance to compete instead of using handicaps to be competitive.

Compeition used to drive the car industry... am I asking to much here? I dont understand. Clearly, we would all be having more fun with all the cars on a similiar stage.

*sigh* I feel bad for you.

Why does Lexus have to conform to what YOU want? Your one buyer. Are you going to equate the the thousands of other buyers, who frankly speaking are more likely to buy a Lexus than you.

If i was in the market for a M series BMW, I would definitely cross shop with the IS-F. Why because I dont want to have to worry about adding on the 20k in options Ill probably want to add to the Bimmer just to keep up with the Jones' so to speak.

Im betting the IS-F will come in at 55k WITH all the options, and the M3 will come in at about the same price, without a few. Thats the competition. Not to mention the Lexus is likely to be twice as reliable.

Also. Bland styling?? Have you seen a 300c? It looks the exact same as a Charger Srt-8. Not to mention the IS-F looks like a performance sedan, and the 300c looks like I should be wearing a wide brimmed hat, and yelling at some chick about "WHERES MY MONEY!"
And by the way...both of those cars weigh in wayyyyy closer to 4000lbs than the IS-F probably will. So how is the IS-F a "fat pig" but the Mustang GT500 which is 3800lbs, the Srt-8 which is 3800lbs, and the Srt-8 300c is about 3800lbs arent? Oh I see your a domestic fanboi, so those cars are perfect, and Jap cars arent?

You make no sense. Your only argument is based off of your own sorry opinion of what you think a true performance car is.

All of the cars you constantly mention in this thread are exactly what you accuse the IS-F of being. Fat, overweight, luxury.performance sedans.......if you want a Sub 50k performance car, you can buy a Lotus...thats a stripped down track ready car, or an Ariel Atom. If you want to be able to drop the hammer, and put a bus length on the occasional idiot trying to F*ck with me on the freeway, all while listening to a wonderful factory stereo, in very comfy leather seats, and hearing almost nothing of the outside world while doing it, and of course having the enjoyment of knowing you made a wise decision and bought a car that will have an EXCELLENT re-sale value, is engineered using awesome technology, and quality components....you drive a Lexus IS-F, Audi RS4, BMW M3, CTS-V etc etc etc.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:27 PM

that is a weird dual exhaust huh? any way, some one told me a wile ago that lexus is going to make this in a twin turbo version??? maby just a rumor but we'll see. i'll still stick w/ the evo.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Liter Lexus IS-F over 400hp