Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Tiburon vs Lancer GTS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2007, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiburon vs Lancer GTS

Has anyone had a chance to drive the 07 Hyundai Tiburon? How does it compare to the 08 Lancer GTS in terms of handling? I'm talking stock for stock, 4-banger, manual transmission.

In advance, thanks for any valuable input. Please don't bash Hyundai for their reputation, looks, build quality and standard equipment.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 01:52 PM

Waiting for current or former Tib owners' opinions...
Attached Thumbnails Tiburon vs Lancer GTS-08lancer_mod.jpg  
Old Jul 29, 2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by obibok
Waiting for current or former Tib owners' opinions...
Do we even have tiburon owners here i've never heard of one? But i would take a guess and say that the gts outperfoms it and outhandles it.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

tiburon is shark in spanish i think.....
thread failed
Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:48 PM

i test drove both before choosing the 08 lancer, and the only thing i liked about the Tiburon GS was the interior; seats and side panels are far better. But in terms of power, handling and joy factor, i think the 08 lancer is better. Also comparing the exterior, the Tiburon is pretty ugly tbh and the 08 GTS has a fresh and sleek style.

Unless your interested in the v6 Tiburon GT, u should pick
Old Jul 29, 2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Yakspawn
i test drove both before choosing the 08 lancer, and the only thing i liked about the Tiburon GS was the interior; seats and side panels are far better. But in terms of power, handling and joy factor, i think the 08 lancer is better. Also comparing the exterior, the Tiburon is pretty ugly tbh and the 08 GTS has a fresh and sleek style.

Unless your interested in the v6 Tiburon GT, u should pick
Cool, thanks for your comments.

When it comes to exterior looks, I actually like both. The Tib seems to have more of a "cool" factor, being a coupe and having a low stance. The 08 Lancer is angry looking but more "bulky", if you will.

I actually like Lancer's interior more than Tib's. Lancer has a nice dash and all the modern technology goodies while the Tib is kind of plain. Then again, Tib has no door frames and that I love. On the other hand, I suspect that all the Mitsu electronics may be flaky and will be why I'd need to visit the dealer more often. At this point, who knows...

I would think that Tib would handle better than the new Lancer? Curious... Oh yeah, I am comparing the 2.0l i4 Tib vs. the Lancer GTS, both MTX. I will surely test drive both to finally make up my mind but I was just wondering what your impressions were.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Has anyone had a chance to drive the 07 Hyundai Tiburon? How does it compare to the 08 Lancer GTS in terms of handling? I'm talking stock for stock, 4-banger, manual transmission.

In advance, thanks for any valuable input. Please don't bash Hyundai for their reputation, looks, build quality and standard equipment.
Former Tiburon owner here...

I'm not sure about the four, but the six shooter could walk a Lancer anyday. A properly tuned four banger with a turbo could also present some serious problems.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOL2003
tiburon is shark in spanish i think.....
thread failed
Yes, it is. 8th grade Spanish taught me that.

So! If you want a car that most 9th grade students in American won't even recognize, go Tiburon! lol
Old Aug 3, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Cool, thanks for your comments.

When it comes to exterior looks, I actually like both. The Tib seems to have more of a "cool" factor, being a coupe and having a low stance. The 08 Lancer is angry looking but more "bulky", if you will.

I actually like Lancer's interior more than Tib's. Lancer has a nice dash and all the modern technology goodies while the Tib is kind of plain. Then again, Tib has no door frames and that I love. On the other hand, I suspect that all the Mitsu electronics may be flaky and will be why I'd need to visit the dealer more often. At this point, who knows...

I would think that Tib would handle better than the new Lancer? Curious... Oh yeah, I am comparing the 2.0l i4 Tib vs. the Lancer GTS, both MTX. I will surely test drive both to finally make up my mind but I was just wondering what your impressions were.
Once you test drive both, you'll decide in no time. but before you can do that, it's better to weigh what you're looking for most in your car. if you like technological 'goodies' the 08 Lancer will have that hands down. i'm not too sure about the lancer, but one of my friends bought 2007 Tiburon and couldn't be happier with it. before my evo, i drove a Sonata for a while, and got into a pretty bad accident with it. those hyundai's are toughhhh. just some dents on the bumpers and the rest of the cars involved were totaled; so safety is something that they have covered. The Tiburon is a nice deal for a Hyundai IMO. But with either choice, you can't go wrong. just my $.03; good luck with your decision though.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 08:42 AM

Thanks tiffany&coNY!

If the new Lancer offered AWD for a little extra $, I wouldn't think twice and just go for it.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks tiffany&coNY!

If the new Lancer offered AWD for a little extra $, I wouldn't think twice and just go for it.
if it's AWD you crave, go for the EVO lol jk. The Lancer has a fierce look to it; pretty new & different. The Tiburon is "hot" for a new Hyundai. Two different options. good luck deciding!
Old Aug 6, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

I test drove a new Tiburon the other day. They look nicer, the inside looks nicer, but IMO thats about it. It was a GTV6 and even when flooring it or playing with the sportronic shift, the thing felt like a slug and couldnt get out of its own way in a straight line and as for the steering it just felt like disconnected and sloppy and bringing it around corners it reminded me of driving my grandfathers Buick century. I cant tell you how disapointed I was with this car. I would never take a tiburon over a lancer after that. Although I would test drive one again if they were giving out more free air compressors and MP3 players like I got for taking out this one
Old Aug 6, 2007, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by RalliLancerJ86
I test drove a new Tiburon the other day. They look nicer, the inside looks nicer, but IMO thats about it. It was a GTV6 and even when flooring it or playing with the sportronic shift, the thing felt like a slug and couldnt get out of its own way in a straight line and as for the steering it just felt like disconnected and sloppy and bringing it around corners it reminded me of driving my grandfathers Buick century. I cant tell you how disapointed I was with this car. I would never take a tiburon over a lancer after that.
Hmm, I would expect the Tib to handle nice and tight, since it's supposed to be a sporty coupe and all. And I had the 4-banger in mind, so it'd be even more sluggish.

Although I would test drive one again if they were giving out more free air compressors and MP3 players like I got for taking out this one
Old Aug 6, 2007, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

I had a Tib before my Evo. Before I started modding, I could keep up with V6 Mustangs and Camaros. Celica GTS's would pull on me a bit. It really is a great handling car though with a little go at bone stock.

Now once you start modding, it's a whole new game. I started with a 4lb roots blower and would eat 350s, G35s, and non modded 5.0’s all day long. Then I did a pulley swap (8lb), fuel manager, and injectors and I would blow Stang GT's out of the water. I only raced one Evo and he was tuned, had an open exhaust, and intake but I kept right on him until 120. The really nice thing about that car is that it is so easy to work on. There is a lot of room in the engine bay and the car itself is just very simple electronics and mechanics. While I do not like the guy very much, a guy named TC at Next Generation Motorsports has a few 11 second Tibs. Might want to check out his site. There are a few more options you could research at newtiburon.com. Oh yeah did I say I didn’t like TC. He’s a real jerk unless you’re buying something from him.

Let me know if you need any more info on the Tib. By the way, I fell in love with my buddy’s Evo, paid off the Tib, returned it completely to stock (besides the clutch upgrade), sold it for BB value and bought the Evo.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:22 PM

Kinda late but i got a tibby, it handles great, the only thing is that it lacks power, I got a 4banger, it goes but I want more.

Quick Reply: Tiburon vs Lancer GTS