Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Attn All Evo Drivers, We've Got A Big Problem!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn All Evo Drivers, We've Got A Big Problem!!!!!...IT'S CALLED A GT-R!!!!!

www.7tune.com

Holiday Auto gives us a little more information on the upcoming GT-R’s engine code, power output characteristics, FM platform and improved head light technology.

Over the last few years, there has been so much speculation surrounding just exactly what type of engine will power the upcoming Nissan GT-R. Although Japanese Automotive magazine Holiday Auto doesn’t actually confirm that the capacity of the new engine will be 3.8L, they do explain to some extent why the new power plant won’t be a part of the VQ family of engines currently used in the V-series Skyline sedan and coupe models. Also discussed is the FM platform and how it influences the GT-R’s advertising catch-phrase and just why the new GT-R’s headlights are a step ahead of the rest.

Engine Code: VR38

Peak Power: 480ps/6,800rpm

Peak Torque: 58.0kgm/1,700 - 5,600rpm

Details: The engine powering the new GT-R will be extremely lightweight compared to engines of similar capacity and complexity. Titanium intake valves and magnesium alloy exhaust valves will be used as well as a version of the new VVEL (Variable Valve Event and Lift) technology as used in the V36 Skyline Coupe. Red line is from 7,600rpm, with a 7,800rpm rev limit. Even after peak power has been achieved at 6,800rpm, 90% of maximum power will still be available from 6,800 - 7,500rpm with the power curve staying virtually flat from 6,800rpm to red line. The secret to the GT-R’s speed is in it’s ability to obtain peak torque at such low revs, as well as a very usable spread of power right across the rev range. There is even mention of the engine being designed for a maximum power output of 600ps, but being detuned to 480ps for production.

The engine powering the 2008 GT-R is not part of the VQ family… Holiday Auto have reportedly been told that the engine appearing in the new GT-R has a ‘VR’ designation, leading them to believe that it has a strong connection to the VRH35L from the Nissan R390 that contested the Le Mans 24 Hour endurance race! We’ll have more on this soon.

Wide Angle HID:

In a world first, Nissan have developed new wide angle HID head lights for the GT-R, throwing light out to the sides of the car much more effectively than current HID head lights. The new HIDs reportedly allow up to 60m visibility ahead of the vehicle which will coincide with other advanced safety features to help the driver to avoid collisions.

‘Premium Midship’ Platform:

Nissan have a catch phrase for the platform of the new GT-R, they call it ’Premium Midship’. Weight has been concentrated between the front and rear wheels to make it the ultimate handling package, it being the latest and greatest incarnation of Nissan’s FM platform.

Details concerning turbo boost levels (1.5kgf/cm2), lightweight engine parts (magnesium cam covers, timing chain case and oil pan, aluminium intake manifold), high response turbochargers and carbon bonnet were also mentioned briefly. There are only a few more pieces of the GT-R jigsaw puzzle to go now…
Looks like all Evo, Vette, 911, Viper, and some ferrari owners are gonna be in trouble

Last edited by Evozster; Aug 12, 2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Kick-***, I can't wait
I just really hope it'll outperform the Z06 somehow, probably not in straight line
Old Aug 12, 2007, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

How will those cars be in "trouble"?

The EVO will cost MUCH less......

The Corvette will likely cost much less and be MUCH lighter (400-500lbs?)......

The Viper will have 600hp & 560lb-ft and is rumored to be 200-300lbs lighter than the last model......

The Porsches and Ferraris....are Porsches and Ferraris......that alone makes people want them......
Old Aug 12, 2007, 04:57 PM

wait a minute... why would EVO drivers have a problem?
The Skyline is going after M3s and Porsches out the door... not Evos
Old Aug 12, 2007, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell
How will those cars be in "trouble"?

The EVO will cost MUCH less......

The Corvette will likely cost much less and be MUCH lighter (400-500lbs?)......

The Viper will have 600hp & 560lb-ft and is rumored to be 200-300lbs lighter than the last model......

The Porsches and Ferraris....are Porsches and Ferraris......that alone makes people want them......
1. Evo, yeah it's cheaper, but it's slower

2. The Z06 will likely cost MORE and be about the same weight

3. Z06 screws a viper over, and IF a GT-R screws a Vette over.....then go figure

4. 911 is what the GT-R is competing with so they will likely make is as good or better

5. I might have exaggerated with the ferrari statement
Old Aug 12, 2007, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chapel
wait a minute... why would EVO drivers have a problem?
The Skyline is going after M3s and Porsches out the door... not Evos
GT-R's are not trying to compete with Evo's, but Evo's are trying to compete with GT-R's
Old Aug 12, 2007, 05:11 PM

on what level?
People who own Evos and tune them, might be gunning for GT-Rs, but those GT-Rs are gunning for Porsche GT2s and Z06s

I mean, my Wagon can go Porsche 996 C2S and C4S hunting, but if they want, they can go right out and get a Turbo or GT2 and blow me away

That's like saying "Attn all VW drivers, We've got a Problem... the new Porsche GT2 is the fastest thing EVER"

I dunno, apples oranges.
I'll take the GT-R
Old Aug 12, 2007, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

that alone concludes it will probably be a TT V8 because the VRH35L that was in the R390 was a turbo V8

I LOVE Evo's, don't get me wrong, but the GT-R just might be a whole new animal, and it's always been my dream car

Last edited by Evozster; Aug 12, 2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 05:12 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Evozster
GT-R's are not trying to compete with Evo's, Evo's are trying to compete with GT-R's
How can you compare an Evo to the new GT-R. They are totally in different leagues. That like comparing an Evo to Civic SI. It does not make sense. Why would a 300hp car try to compete with 500hp car? That's totally stupid. Why would you compete against a far superior car?
Old Aug 12, 2007, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vigo
How can you compare an Evo to the new GT-R. They are totally in different leagues. That like comparing an Evo to Civic SI. It does not make sense. Why would a 300hp car try to compete with 500hp car? That's totally stupid. Why would you compete against a far superior car?
Because, like it or not, all Evo's are gunning for supercars.......Just because it can haul more than 2 people and has 4 cylinders, dosen't mean it's not trying to compete with supercars...If mitsubishi did not want the Evo to compete with supercars then why did thay make it so fast

Last edited by Evozster; Aug 12, 2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

another meaningless thread. i have never got to a street light with a zo6 , let alone a zo6 getting to one with a gt-r. as far as viper vette, forget the magazines, the better driver will will that match. i like to talk about real car on the streets not 80,000 and up supercars that are driven once a month by some guy with saggy *****. mustangs, 350z, g35, sti z28, vettes these are the real payers on the street.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

1. Evo, yeah it's cheaper, but it's slower
That's usually how it works. An Enzo Ferrari is faster than an EVO, but I don't believe EVO owners are quivering in fear. At the end of the day, he who has more money will usually go faster.

2. The Z06 will likely cost MORE and be about the same weight
Where did you get your weight numbers and price from? As far as I know, Nissan hasn't released ANY specs.

With that said, I'll bet dollars to donuts that the GTR will not come close to a C6 in the weight department.

While on a different platform, the G37 is 3717 - the GTR has bigger EVERYTHING. Wider body, bigger brakes (6 pots on 15" rotors), wheels/tires (19/20 on 305), tranny, exhaust (2 huge mufflers with 4 huge tips!), driveshaft, half shaft, then 2 extra turbos, 2 intercoolers, bigger radiator, extra oil cooler......blah blah blah.......

IMO, you're looking at ~3550 lbs MINIMUM.

Keep in mind, the Z51 Corvette is around $47,000 with 436hp @ 3179 lbs.

3. Z06 screws a viper over, and IF a GT-R screws a Vette over.....then go figure
You're delusional.

The '08 600hp Viper has NEVER been ran against the Z06. Also, take a look at almost all of the comparison test - the 510hp Viper's lap times are VERY close to a Z06. Now with 90 more HP, better brakes, better suspension and better tires, the Viper should EASILY put a Z06 is the rearview mirror.

4. 911 is what the GT-R is competing with so they will likely make is as good or better
Being as good or better will have no affect on Porsche. People who want a Porsche will not settle for a Nissan. Some might, but not enough to affect Porsche sales.

Last edited by E. Haskell; Aug 12, 2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Because, like it or not, all Evo's are gunning for supercars.......Just because it can haul more than 2 people and has 4 cylinders, dosen't mean it's not trying to compete with supercars...If mitsubishi did not want the Evo to compete with supercars then why did thay make it so fast
LOL. Mitsubishi made the EVO as fast as they could while still meeting a < $35k price point....the fact that its performance can rival cars costing more is a bonus. Nissan will likely sell the GTR aound $60-65k. Comparing the two directly is just silly.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

that alone concludes it will probably be a TT V8 because the VRH35L that was in the R390 was a turbo V8

I LOVE Evo's, don't get me wrong, but the GT-R just might be a whole new animal, and it's always been my dream car
everything up to this point has indicated a TTV6 3.8L
Old Aug 12, 2007, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

I would rather spend 20-25k for an evo and then put about 40k in it than to buy a 60-65k gt-r. yea there bad ace but compared to an evo with the same amount of money invested....nah..but i am interested in seeing what their 1/4 mile time is with those huge wheels and big rotors and all the extra weight. just my .02

Quick Reply: Attn All Evo Drivers, We've Got A Big Problem!!!!!