Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO VIII or MKIV Supra?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarmacisback69
supras are big money cars man to mod and buy.
I agree. Supra's are nice and all but consider the cost of modifying them, they can easily drain your wallet
Old Apr 2, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They are completely different cars, but id go Evo.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolen27
MKIV supras are sick cars, but most that I have seen around that price are relatively high milage, maybe not high for the age, but high compared to what you can get on the evo
Originally Posted by caLi4G63
I agree. Supra's are nice and all but consider the cost of modifying them, they can easily drain your wallet
I don't think the EVO and the Supra should be compared in regards to problems per mile or reliability. The Supra wins that, high mileage is not exactly a bad thing considering how well these cars hold up. I feel I could put up with high mileage for a car as spectacular as this one.

Modifications get expensive because temptation is hard to control however $1,200 in a Supra will give you a solid 400+ whp RWD inline 6 reliable, rare and BEEauteeful car.

But there is also versitility which it does not have much of in comparison to the EVO but doesn't it make it more special when you CANT drive it all the time? Think of the summer with the targa top off?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

well said^^^^..
a mkiv supra is exactly why i am selling my car,.,,.... I am speaking from experience... I cant drive my car everyday.... gas is ridiculous and it is dangerous to drive in any kind of weather but dry and warm. all four tires just spin too bad.

I would def say get the evo if it is a DD...but if you have a beater... GET THE SUPRA... they arent exactly making them anymore.../

put it to you like this...

you go to dinner and come outside with your GF...

there is a black supra and a black evo sitting next to each other both stock looking... I dont care who you are... 9 out of 10 people are going straight to the supra... Hell i go out of my way to check out stock ones and my car looks ridiculous

but to each his own
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

supra all the way
hard to find
get the motor out and drop in a stroked motor and strap on a 42r and have some fun
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would pick the supra but it all depends on mileage and condition
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by R1ckyB0bbyyy
This is my dream car.
Sounds like it's a done deal. Get the Supra. I would go evo but i want something that can turn a corner. If you want straightline, you picked a good car. Good luck!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would pick the EVO. I love Supras tho, that is one of my dream cars too. Evo is way more of a balanced car. Me personally, if I were to buy a Supra Id get the cheapest one I could find, with a great body, super high mileage. Because everything would be modded anyways. They make great dyno queens
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:34 PM

^^^^ EXACTLY,
I was in the market for one for a year straight. I ended up getting the EVO after one drive in it about 3 months ago. and it was more practical for me than the SUPRA. Because I don't have any real highways or long open road to really take advantage of the car. therfore I bought the EVO . But yeah seriuosly the are 2 totaly different cars. Depends on what kind of driving you do is a real big factor to.

And trying to find a descent SUPRA is a whole different story. Willing to fly
somewhere(in my case), hoping he/she is telling truth about the condition ect...
And be willing to walk away from it. Because it is such truly Extraordinary car
that is able to make ungodly amounts of power but yet still be able to go and get groceries and hard to walk away from buying it when in person .

Also the SUPRA is extremely rare one of a kind. The EVO is to in a way but hell
at the rate where going by next 5-10yrs the evo will be like evo 17-18 like the ROCKY movies LOL.

BUT IN THE END ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE WHICH IS RIGHT

Richard
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by E VOL IX
well said^^^^..
a mkiv supra is exactly why i am selling my car,.,,.... I am speaking from experience... I cant drive my car everyday.... gas is ridiculous and it is dangerous to drive in any kind of weather but dry and warm. all four tires just spin too bad.

I would def say get the evo if it is a DD...but if you have a beater... GET THE SUPRA... they arent exactly making them anymore.../

put it to you like this...

you go to dinner and come outside with your GF...

there is a black supra and a black evo sitting next to each other both stock looking... I dont care who you are... 9 out of 10 people are going straight to the supra... Hell i go out of my way to check out stock ones and my car looks ridiculous

but to each his own

I think a good indicator as to what car you want to get is that when you close your eyes, and picture a parking lot with two cars in it... (the ones youre considering) the keys in the door... which one would you walk up to and think of nothing but.

I wouldn't think twice personally about hopping into that 129,000 mile 14 year old Supra as pictured in the original post. PSH does it LOOK like it has 129,000 miles on it?!

I mean think of it, you see a hot car drive by... HOW often are you thinking of the mileage? I have seen cars a bunch of times and been like WOW!!! then happened to see it in a parking lot and it had a zillion miles on it.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

who ever says supra is ugly.. wow thats crazy i love the car there beautiful try speedforsale.com ricky they have great supra's for sale plus rx7 n 300zx anyways i would definately go for the 2 door sports car if i had a 1k beater daily diver no need for 4 door or awd. but its up to you ricky bobby good luck!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

o i know... when i get my supra i could care less what mileage it has... the higher the better....... as soon as it gets home its gonna come out anyways haha.... i have flirted with building my car but honestly for the money i have spent on mine i could be sitting around 900whp or something in a supra. A evo will NEVER EVER be as reliable at higher mileage as a supra. I have friends with 42r's and such on stock block supras with 80k plus and they run just as good as my car.

just as a note... I worked for GM as a tech for 3 years. I sometimes worked on corvettes that cam in with 200k plus... NEVER had anything done but oil changes....brakes...and tires... can an evo do that HELLLLL NO... you would have already had about 7 clutches in it. If a car is built right it doesnt matter how many miles it has.....it is all up to what you want and what you want to do with it.. I NEVER autocross or go to any track days... if i race.. im going in a straight line or on the highway... now which one sounds better for me?? def supra... but if you want an all around car... by all means buy an evo....

HELL BUY MINE
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

I'm lucky, I can drive both. My dad owns a '98 TT Supra and if I want to drive it I just give him my Evo. He gets a kick out of driving it as well. They are def different cars but $25,000 is probably not enough to get a real good Supra. My dad had to pay almost $40K for ours back in Oct. '07 and it has 43,000 original miles. It is super clean but it was still abused a bit and needs a new clutch, but no big deal. For your money I would get a good used Evo and save up and get a Supra later on. Unless you have your heart set on a Supra. Both of them are amazingly capable and you can't go wrong with either one. Just keep an eye on mods and mileage. Good luck.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by E VOL IX
o i know... when i get my supra i could care less what mileage it has... the higher the better....... as soon as it gets home its gonna come out anyways haha.... i have flirted with building my car but honestly for the money i have spent on mine i could be sitting around 900whp or something in a supra. A evo will NEVER EVER be as reliable at higher mileage as a supra. I have friends with 42r's and such on stock block supras with 80k plus and they run just as good as my car.

just as a note... I worked for GM as a tech for 3 years. I sometimes worked on corvettes that cam in with 200k plus... NEVER had anything done but oil changes....brakes...and tires... can an evo do that HELLLLL NO... you would have already had about 7 clutches in it. If a car is built right it doesnt matter how many miles it has.....it is all up to what you want and what you want to do with it.. I NEVER autocross or go to any track days... if i race.. im going in a straight line or on the highway... now which one sounds better for me?? def supra... but if you want an all around car... by all means buy an evo....

HELL BUY MINE
Supras can be made to handle well but frankly I'd rather have an adequit handling Supra BPU. The seats in good condition are nice, Targa off on a warm night and that exhaust note OH LORD the exhaust note... and just having my favorite combination of the I6, F/I and RWD... with Toyota build is Sublime. It has the attributes of the perfect car IMO...

I came from an SRT-4, cheap, reliable... fast and handle very well for a FWD car but all that honestly got old. The cheapness, zero OOO-AHHH factor... to me I can't picture an EVO or SRT-4 glistening under city lights at night like a Supra can...

I love the EVO and in the winter I'm going to wish I had one to dick around in the snow with... or when I want to fly into a corner or whip it around with the confidence of AWD. BUT then again, the Supra sings where the EVO sounds like a shreaking cat (exhaust wise I mean) I just don't get excited at the exhaust note and I think thats kinda important? No?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah bro i know... Supras are one of my favorites but it isn't everything an evo is... I mean get whatever you want but the evo is definately my pick unless you have a DD already. If you do... get the Supra!!!

Originally Posted by R1ckyB0bbyyy
Most I think will go with the EVO because it is newer, but do not be mistaken my friend... 400+whp with just basic performance upgrades will change your mind. You drive a BPU Supra and won't be able to stop doing this and saying whoa after

Quick Reply: EVO VIII or MKIV Supra?