Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

What would you trade your Evo for?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
996TT. I know the styling of the interior and exterior isn't quite up to par compared to the 997's but the car is rock solid and super reliable. Compared to the base 996 and 997 engines, the 996TT engine is derived from the Lemans GT1 racers, which means it is basically a water cooled adaptation of the air cooled block. Since the block does pretty well as an air cooled engine, adding radiators and turbos are no problem at all. The 996TT is one of the rare cases where a turbocharged engine is more reliable than the normally aspirated version.

Also, because they aren't well liked in terms of styling, they drop like a rock in price. A nice one with < 50K miles is around $50K, I expect them to be even cheaper in a couple of years. Fortunately for me, the only opinion I care about is my own, and the fact that it reminds me of a 959 makes me smile.

Of course, I sat in an X MR and was impressed. Not enough for me to get another car loan, but a nice car nonetheless. I expect it will depreciate a bit faster than the IX due to volume (local dealer has something like 11 MR's) and because it's the first model in the new line. So maybe I'll just trade for a used X MR...

-n.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

I would give up my Evo MR for a LOTUS EXIGE S240 right away!
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:44 PM

mini cooper s GP. that's all i can think of right now in the attainable price range. i see them for sale on occasion but i have never seen one on the street.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

GT3 clubsport or GT2 clubsport, in fact I plan to get one a few years out of school so I won't be selling the evo for anything.

I would say skyline but it just doesn't have that "I'll kill you if you slip up" mentality whereas the porsche's do.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

the hot rod is built by holden same guys who built the new G8's and Camaro. The other is a koenigsegg.
Attached Thumbnails What would you trade your Evo for?-kone.jpg   What would you trade your Evo for?-holden.jpg  
Old May 3, 2012, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Up
Old May 3, 2012, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Some pretty unrealistic trades in here.

That said, I've considered a Lotus Esprit (95+) or an Exige if I get lucky.
Old May 3, 2012, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

964 911 Turbo or low mileage NSX
Old May 4, 2012, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

FD RX-7 with 600rwhp LSX. Maybe.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

I created this thread about 4 years ago. Still have my Evo. But think it is almost time to part with it and get something else. Was leaning towards a C6 Z06 or maybe a 98 Viper GTS.. really dont know what i want to be honest. The Evo has been a GREAT car to me. I would want to find something simularly great that i will be able to keep for a long time. The evo will be turning 100K in less than 2K miles. Pretty crazy. But i am just curious what other people would trade or sell their evo for 4 years from when i orginally created this thread. As times have changed and so will cars.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

I am really happy with the evo, but I just don't drive it much anymore. It's more of a competition car now. So since what I really wanted out of the evo was that "race car feeling" I decided to get a real race car.

I am getting the evo ready for sale, then I am going to go off and find one of these

I can't find any street capable car that I can afford that will be a suitable replacement for the evo.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

If we had tracks around here.. that looks pretty fun.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoluvin
If we had tracks around here.. that looks pretty fun.
actually you do have a few tracks locally, within a few hours drive. A friend of the family used to be very active in the SCCA racing in your area. summit point, watkins glen, and a couple of other smaller tracks down towards Richmond I think.

The cars are "cheap". you can pick up a decent running car with spares and sometimes trailers for $10k to $25k depending on how much or how new you want to buy.

The new thing to do with these cars is to put a honda fit engine in them. With the fit motor, the car is virtually maintenance free compared to other dedicated race cars. (and gets good millage while racing )
Old May 4, 2012, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
actually you do have a few tracks locally, within a few hours drive. A friend of the family used to be very active in the SCCA racing in your area. summit point, watkins glen, and a couple of other smaller tracks down towards Richmond I think.

The cars are "cheap". you can pick up a decent running car with spares and sometimes trailers for $10k to $25k depending on how much or how new you want to buy.

The new thing to do with these cars is to put a honda fit engine in them. With the fit motor, the car is virtually maintenance free compared to other dedicated race cars. (and gets good millage while racing )
Cant beat the good MPG. LOL. Yeah... but those tracks are still atleast 2 hours from me. Which sucks. IF they were about 1/2 an hour i would take the evo and see how i like it.
Old May 6, 2012, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

I've been considering trading for a first gen cts-v

Quick Reply: What would you trade your Evo for?