Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

E55 AMG: Need thoughs and opinions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG: Need thoughts and opinions

I've decided to sell my viii and get a newer, less noisy car. Admittedly, my evo is a little on the unrefined side, but I bought it fully expecting that to be the case. It's street tuned with about 525 at the wheels and I need something to replace it that's not going to be a total let down in hp. My best solution from a price/hp/style standpoint appears to be an E55 AMG Mercedes. I've driven a stock car, but not a modded one and was pretty impressed. If any of you guys have experience with the car, any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm open to any suggestions you may have as to other comparable vehicles. I also considered an RS6, but don't know as much about them. Also, they appear to be unable to keep up in the hp/tq department when compared to the Mercedes, especially with light mods to both. I already looked at a pully, airbox mod and ecu reflash which should take the car over 500 crank hp and 600 crank lb-ft.
Again, input and suggestions are appreciated.

Carlos--do you have any experience with these??

Last edited by legal-z; Mar 31, 2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

they are great cars. I drove an E55 and a E63. Actually the E63 is so quick and so smooth going fast i got pulled over about 3 mins after i started it up. both cars are super fast just different. ive been in some modded E55s and they are awesome. look sexy, fast, comfortable, lots of space. completely different than the evo. just depends on opinions.

you can light up the rears in the benz and get the tail out super easy and they are a blast to drive quick. seat warmers and electric memory is also a plus.

the rs6 is nice but your right about the hp comment. also suffer from severe front end load and understeer. but hey, its AWD not RWD. in the end it depends on what your looking for. just dont try to shift with the paddles in the benz, the manual tranny mode is horrific. lightly modded they rip tho, take her down to RENNTECH if you got the cash, know some of the guys down there and they do great work and are extremely knowledgeable and professional.

gl with w.e decision you make, you will not be disappointed.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the input. i've read alot about RENNTECH. just don't know if i have the cash left after the purchase to spring for their packages. especially that carbon fiber air box.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Legal Z, I am not sure if you are refering to me when you said Carlos but my older brother has a CLS 63 AMG and is puking sick, quad tips,7 speed,massive Brembos, 19", etc... Even the regular C63 did very well when compared to the M-3, despite its huge weight it actually accelerated in the mid 4 sec.

A well known friend of mine has had both E55 the V8 and the S/C and the S/C screams with its top end, it needs a lot of rubber in the back. My personal opinion will be go for the C63, it is a beast and its power and torque is abundant. For that price have you consider the CTS-V?

Carlos
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My next car will be an E63...There's nothing like the thud of a Benz door shutting.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

^^ I agree. The V8 powered Benzs are a train power plant, very robust, very torquy, very refined.

Carlos
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have an 06 E55.. Great car, decent gas mileage, zero problems so far. The only disappointment is the feeling in the steering. It feels dead compared to other sports cars, it feels super luxurious while taking ridiculous turns which isn't alot of fun when youre really trying to push the limit. In a car like that you dont really push it though, not that type of car...

If youre looking for power and luxury get the E55. If you're looking for power and sport feel get the M5. If you live in a place with a ton of snow get the RS6 for all year round fun.

Cheers!
Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

e55 mods are very expensive, and ic pumps, s/c clutchs fail alot, rear diffs can blow, and the guys on mbworld- well youll have to see- 03s have the most problems and buying one without a warranty or that you cant get a warranty on is idiotic.
RS6 audis, trannys are crap, the DRC hydraulic suspension is junk you will need coilovers which i think only option is kw v3- doing a brake job will cost you a grand- and you need to get a warranty on one.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Great choice in cars. Stay away from the early production years. All of the AMG cars are insane these days. My mom has a C63 and my step dad has an S65...both are amazing cars. I'm definitely considering an E63 as a DD next.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Legal Z, I am not sure if you are refering to me when you said Carlos but my older brother has a CLS 63 AMG and is puking sick, quad tips,7 speed,massive Brembos, 19", etc... Even the regular C63 did very well when compared to the M-3, despite its huge weight it actually accelerated in the mid 4 sec.

A well known friend of mine has had both E55 the V8 and the S/C and the S/C screams with its top end, it needs a lot of rubber in the back. My personal opinion will be go for the C63, it is a beast and its power and torque is abundant. For that price have you consider the CTS-V?

Carlos

i did mean you. you always seem to have useful input on cars i'm interested in.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4WS Tuning
We have an 06 E55.. Great car, decent gas mileage, zero problems so far. The only disappointment is the feeling in the steering. It feels dead compared to other sports cars, it feels super luxurious while taking ridiculous turns which isn't alot of fun when youre really trying to push the limit. In a car like that you dont really push it though, not that type of car...

If youre looking for power and luxury get the E55. If you're looking for power and sport feel get the M5. If you live in a place with a ton of snow get the RS6 for all year round fun.

Cheers!
thanks for the input. i'm relocating to florida, so snow is not an issue and i have a 944 turbo track car, so this would be mostly a highway vehicle. i wouldn't mind an '06 M5, but the money is alot more and i don't think it came in a stick, which i would prefer in that car, before '07, which would be even more expensive.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thatsMR2u
e55 mods are very expensive, and ic pumps, s/c clutchs fail alot, rear diffs can blow, and the guys on mbworld- well youll have to see- 03s have the most problems and buying one without a warranty or that you cant get a warranty on is idiotic.
RS6 audis, trannys are crap, the DRC hydraulic suspension is junk you will need coilovers which i think only option is kw v3- doing a brake job will cost you a grand- and you need to get a warranty on one.

This guy hit it right on the head!! The rs6 also looks dated. Best year for the E55 is 05 or 06. And yes, WARRANTY is a must on these cars.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thatsMR2u
What he said. Warranty is a must..

WM
Old Apr 6, 2009, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by legal-z
I've decided to sell my viii and get a newer, less noisy car. Admittedly, my evo is a little on the unrefined side, but I bought it fully expecting that to be the case. It's street tuned with about 525 at the wheels and I need something to replace it that's not going to be a total let down in hp. My best solution from a price/hp/style standpoint appears to be an E55 AMG Mercedes. I've driven a stock car, but not a modded one and was pretty impressed. If any of you guys have experience with the car, any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm open to any suggestions you may have as to other comparable vehicles. I also considered an RS6, but don't know as much about them. Also, they appear to be unable to keep up in the hp/tq department when compared to the Mercedes, especially with light mods to both. I already looked at a pully, airbox mod and ecu reflash which should take the car over 500 crank hp and 600 crank lb-ft.
Again, input and suggestions are appreciated.

Carlos--do you have any experience with these??
i love German factory tuned cars - i own the first AMG they brought to USA (1997 C36), drove an S55, and just finished a 2y lease on an Audi S6 (v10!).... great machines, amazing performance, and unparallel "street cred"....
having said that, unfortunately, they are atrocious when it comes to maintenance and/or reliability. especially if u talk about the newer ones (21st century), ones with all the fancy gizmos and gadgets. if u get one, whose factory warranty expired, get ready to shell out every penny u have on repairs. and not everyone can diagnose these machines either, so u gotta go to the expensive places, or sometimes your only choice is the dreaded dealer.... ECU, various sensors, A/C, radio, air suspension, power seats/windows/doors, etc etc etc. never ends!

now, on to the good news - E55 is insane on any street or track. unless people see the badges and know "whats up", u gonna leave a whole lot of vettes and certainly mustangs in utter disbelief! plus it looks very aggressive, and is usualy the spotlight at any meet, or gtg.

however, your assessment of the 2003-2005 RS6 is incorrect. it keeps up just fine with E55s, and has the advantage of AWD (just try driving the E55 in bad weather). also, some S6s (2007+) are coming off their first leases now, and prices are relatively low. great cars, and they have the lamborghini's V10!!

hope this helps a bit......
Old Apr 6, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

I will find disturbing if you don't add the C63 AMG into the equation. At this point you have:
M5, RS6,E55 N/A or /SC,C63 AMG and perhaps the CTS-V. Either way you are in the baller sedan territory and wouldn't be disspointed. I personally been in 3 of the cars mentioned above but it is difficult for me to suggest which one to ditch, they are all good. I test drove Edwins's(forum member) M5 about two months ago and it was a beast.

Carlos

Quick Reply: E55 AMG: Need thoughs and opinions