Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Think twice before you say: best bang for your buck for $30k

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Think twice before you say: best bang for your buck for $30k

For many the Evo was and still is one of the best cars to have for $30k, the STI's were closely behind, then the 370z took everyone by surprise with its stellar performance built quality and price now we have to make a whole because the Camaro SS now has a official price on the website $30,995 MSRP.

Now you might want to think twice before telling your best friend what is the best car for $30000 because the new Camaro SS is arguably now perhaps in the top of the chart for its price/value.

This car already tested 13.0@111mph 0-60 in the 4s on initial reviews and it has the 426hp LS3 engine found on the newest vettes and it also comes with Brembo brakes. I am definately stoping by and seeing one whenever I have a chance. Personally I think is a great value, I know most of the people on thios forum loves imports(me to) but the Camaro SS is an icon and I think it has a lot to offer.

http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamar...build-your-own

my .2c

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Apr 11, 2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Cmon gents! lets turn the heat up:

4.8 sec 0-60mph 13.0@111 mph :

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Who gives more for 30 Gs?

another video(different magazine-Motortrend) : 0-60 4.6s and also another 13.0@111mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3VHl...eature=related

and another 13.0@110.9mph:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

and another 4.7 sec 0-60 mph 13.0@110mph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-uTj...eature=related

Consistency!!!!!!!

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Apr 11, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i love this car!!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

It certainly seems to be packing a punch - can't argue that. My biggest concern is the saturation of these on the roads. I don't know how many GM plans to sell but at ~$30k a whack for the SS and GM not doing so well financially, I imagine they are going to sell as many as they can.

Obviously more power to them, but when you see 4 - 6 retro stangs at a stoplight you tend to stop noticing. I see the same thing happening to the Camaro, but at least the SS can hold its own, and then some!

Other minor concerns - what happens if the bow-tie (and the rest of GM) goes TU? For the love of god, can they turn around the R&D-->release a new model any quicker? They need to have already started on the next revision if they want to stay "fresh" (given how long it has taken them to finally release this one).

Anyway, I guess I strayed from the original question and I think it will certainly be interesting to see this all unfold.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

^^^I think and no kidding that there was a MSNBC tv show/documentary talking about GM and this car. They were saying that this car could keep the company afloat for a little while. You are talking about thousands and thousand of people line up for this car. This is like the Mustang from Ford, a very popular car that everyone knows it will have the aftermarket blessing.

This car has a little bit of everything for the sucess recipe: good price, the looks, the performance, etc. It is comforting to know that under your hood lies a LS3 vette engine with all the bells and wistles. With that in mind you know you can bolt on S/C, cams and all that, the homework has been done already. You will see people making mid 400whp with a cam swapp. People will get Drag radials and hit the track for a mid 12 sec 1/4 with just a set of DRs. Another thing I already noticed is the stock air box. On the vettes the air box does really exist, it has a funnel shape filter pointing down just like the elephants trunk buy funneling the air directly to the throtle body.

It isd hard to describe but easy to understand if you see a picture. Basically I am saying you should be able to do a straight filter in front of the Throtle body just like on the vettes. The LS3 motor is a win to win choice ffrom GM, it wouldn't disspoint. Too bad the car weights a lot otherwise it would have done better braking, accelerating and handling and off course on gas mileage.

This car also comes equiped with the Tremec TR6060, same as the ones on the Shelby GT500 , GT500KR and many other applications so that means beefy. Obviously the car weights a lot and that would translate into mediocre gas mileage but this car is not made for gas mileage and we all know that, this is a resurection of the 70's muscle car and people don't mind the extra fgas price tag.

I truly think this car will sell very well. my .2c

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Apr 11, 2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:50 PM

just curious, cause my co-worker was saying these are awesome cars (camaro) but he and i still think the evo is better. i mean you do sound a little bias, im willing to understand the camaro is awesome, though i dont personally like domestic too much. the 370z is really great too. how well does the camaro handle on the road? i never read too much into it.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsuEvo05
just curious, cause my co-worker was saying these are awesome cars (camaro) but he and i still think the evo is better. i mean you do sound a little bias, im willing to understand the camaro is awesome, though i dont personally like domestic too much. the 370z is really great too. how well does the camaro handle on the road? i never read too much into it.
Ultimately an Evo will handle better and perhaps brake better and even get better gas mileage. Out of the box I think the camaro without a doubt will take the new Evos on the acceleration contest. The camaro and the Evos only share the price range, they are very different in many other aspects, one car is better for some things and viceversa.

Carlos
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Well he provided a link so that you could read a little.

It sounds like it pulled a .92 on the skidpad, though it is heavy so it won't really handle as well as the Evo...though it is rear-wheel drive so depending on who you are that could be a plus.

I know it will sell well, I just know that there will eventually be 4 of these in a hillbilly's yard...3 of which won't have all of the tires mounted, and at least 1 partially covered in grass...

*edit - btw, I don't think Carlos sounds biased. He is making factual sense - it is packing a proven engine, a proven tranny, it is in the $30k range, and he loves to soak the GM cork! Okay, I made that last one up.

Last edited by yahu; Apr 12, 2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

The Evos are more road handling oriented. The camaro does very well in the aceleration department because GM throught things smartly about choosing a LS3 as a powerplant and that is a win to win situation no matter from what angle you look at it. Now, I am sure it doesn't have the Evo seats, the Evo Steering and the Evo nimbleness to compite on the twisties and that is in part because of the weight.

Think of this car as a car made for a different type of clients, the one looking more for the appeal and sound and the iconic looks. We will see different customers/owners groups when it comes down to buying the $30000 car. This car should have its own unique clientel. For instance, the Evos has the advantage of being a 5 seater sedan, there are people out there that needs a 4 door car so the Evo fits the criteria well while for 30g the 30Z is made for someone that don't have to carry family around, the Camaro fits in between. << just my thoughts.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Apr 12, 2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:09 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
I hate Camaro's. Evo IX > GM Camaro Garbage.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

^^ It is all about personal taste. The sales will speak for itself. Just time will tell. Truenos are the $hit no?

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Apr 12, 2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:18 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
^^ It is all about personal taste. The sales will speak for itself. Just time will tell. Truenos are the $hit no?

Carlos
Not with a 4AG, but with a 2JZ, or 1GGTE yes.

Its so gratifying having a 2.0 and beating these 5, 6 liter "muscle cars"..

I can't wait to get my HTA3076R.

Last edited by Jp7; Apr 12, 2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

^^ Go nuts in your Trueno!! : So why exactly do you hate the Camaro in the first place? why do you think they are garbage? Yeah, you can put a turbokit on your Evo and kill many "muscle cars" and be a gratifying experience, you can do that to any car.

The muscle car name came from the 60's when the american industry were making cars in the mid 400 hp, where were the 2JZs then? uhmm oh!! The Mopar, stingrays, Cobras, Shelbys, Road runners, Cudas, Bullits, Ford GT 40s don't ring the bell? Off course they don't!!! To you.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Apr 12, 2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Option 2: Buy a used 08 Corvette for ~30k with Z51. Lighter, faster, and handles 10x better
Old Apr 12, 2009, 05:16 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's pretty quick for under 30K. I believe the 09 WRX is also a close contender and cost under 25K and runs 13.5 stock from motortrend.

Quick Reply: Think twice before you say: best bang for your buck for $30k