Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Miata for a track car

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a 92' model and I always found it very slow and lacking torque. I think the body is great for fitting some 15x7.5" rims or even 15x8"(if you can make it fit) and the car is already very low so it benefits of aftermarket coilovers.

I once almost did a gredy 15C turbokit(minus the intercooler) but found the car to be still insuficient overall in power. I rather start with like a S2000 used, not that they had tons of torque but they are significantly quicker. By the time you spent money on a set of coilovers, a set of tires with rims, and modding the engine you would be better off buying a used Honda S2000 (my .2c).

I have seen in person a 302 Ford Mustang engine in a Miata but the issues are even worse(the chasi can't handle that much power, you need bigger brakes, bigger tires, etc).

Good luck!

Carlos
Old Nov 3, 2009, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Used S2000s go for 3-5 times the price of a Miata here. A friend is looking to buy one as a track car but unfortunately they're out of my price range.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Zack, what do you think about this car? http://www.miata.net/cgi-bin/isc/cla...revaction=show
Old Nov 4, 2009, 02:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I had a 92' model and I always found it very slow and lacking torque. I think the body is great for fitting some 15x7.5" rims or even 15x8"(if you can make it fit) and the car is already very low so it benefits of aftermarket coilovers.

I once almost did a gredy 15C turbokit(minus the intercooler) but found the car to be still insuficient overall in power. I rather start with like a S2000 used, not that they had tons of torque but they are significantly quicker. By the time you spent money on a set of coilovers, a set of tires with rims, and modding the engine you would be better off buying a used Honda S2000 (my .2c).

I have seen in person a 302 Ford Mustang engine in a Miata but the issues are even worse(the chasi can't handle that much power, you need bigger brakes, bigger tires, etc).

Good luck!

Carlos
It's slow from the factory, the 1.8 has extremely low compression, and was designed for boost. If you know what you're doing, 200whp is maybe 2k in modifications away, run megasquirt and a homebrew turbo on a NA and you have a track monster, including brakes, suspension, rollbar, etc for under 5k and go lap people all day. You don't need much power when your car weighs 2200 pounds wet.

For example, I have a 00'. I bought my car for 7k 4 years ago. I'm now going turbo, and for a total of around 2k (500 mazdaspeed miata turbo, 500 corksport FMIC, 500 XEDE ECU, 500 lines, gauges, wideband, and used supra injectors) I'll be at 200 or so whp. Add downpipe and 3" exhaust instead of my 2.25" stuff and I'll be at 220-230.

And yes, the s2k is a nice little car, but in a different category than the miata. It weighs more, and is quite a bit more expensive.

As for your 302 comment that's just hilarious, the 302 is now regarded as the ghetto v8 swap. Obviously the car won't be able to handle it, you've just added 200+ pounds to the front of the car. LS1 or go home, the LS1 being an aluminum block barely adds any mass and is perfectly suited to the car. Anything that has 400 ft/lbs of torque is going to need more than stock rubber, and hey what do you know!! You can fit 15x8 easily all around, so grab some 6ul's and go wild.

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Used S2000s go for 3-5 times the price of a Miata here. A friend is looking to buy one as a track car but unfortunately they're out of my price range.
Canadian car prices are INSANE. I have a friend in Edmonton trying to find a miata up there and it's a nightmare. Used NA's that are worth maybe 3k down here are listed for 9-10+, it's ridiculous.

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Hey Zack, what do you think about this car? http://www.miata.net/cgi-bin/isc/cla...revaction=show
Good, buy it. Looks like it's an LS, like mine, so it includes the torsen LSD, bose stereo, leather, etc. Make sure though. LSD is crucial when you add power. 99-00 are the 'best' years for modifying (for NB's at least).
Old Nov 4, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

I'm currently thinking I'll buy a US car given that canadian prices are nuts. I need to investigate shipping and importing first.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pwrofturbo
I know that in Japan the camshafts were changed relative to the US models, typically giving the JDM cars more output as well as a higher redline. Even on stock US cams however a $1 crystal mod to the ECU can unlock up to 8000rpm and leaner mixtures, boosting top end power. +1 on ITB's, but the most bang for the buck you can get in terms of enjoyment is clutch/flywheel, I'm running an 8lb flywheel and first through third gears it is significantly more responsive than stock. I've finished staying NA personally and this winter is low-pressure turbo time.
what is the crystal mod?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Enzo1089
what is the crystal mod?
It's a little piece of kryptonite that makes other cars slow

Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:26 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
While I still like the idea of owning a Miata, every time I sit in one I can't get past the fact that I don't fit in the damn things. Sitting in stock seats and I can barely see through the windshield due to being too tall. I've read of some of the customizing people have to do in order to get their seats low enough to get their helmeted heads below the roll bar and it's a pain in the ***.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

The car is tiny, I'm maybe 5'8" on a good day and with the stock seats I feel very high up. I'm remedying that with a set of Brides though.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:34 PM
EvoM Administrator

Yeah, I'm 6'3 on a good day. My legs fit fine, though a smaller steering wheel + 2" extender would help a bit more with that, but my head just sticks up too far. I think that, to make it work, I'd have to have someone come up with a way to attach a racing seat directly to the floor, no sliders or anything.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:36 PM
EvoM Administrator

Heh, here's a nice local deal - http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/1566865183.html

Fully ready to go Spec Miata.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Miata + LSx motor = oh ya.

+1!!!! miatas with lsx motors are amazing. theres one with an LS2 that runs around in my area. confusing as hell the first time you hear it and you realize where the sound is coming from lol. those cars haul *** with a big nasty LS motor. And in all seriousness, I owned an LS1 and have spent a lot of time around them. If you decide to go that route and want any advice or opinions feel free to pm. I can usually get parts pretty cheap too, might even be able to get you a engine/tranny combo for a pretty reasonable price
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
Heh, here's a nice local deal - http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/1566865183.html

Fully ready to go Spec Miata.
Not bad, the price seems pretty reasonable.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:44 AM

I just saw a Miata sell for $1,200. I called the guy shortly after he listed it and he said it sold INSTANTLY!! it sucked!