Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

We had the Whole Track to Ourselves

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We had the Whole Track to Ourselves

I went to Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, Calif. (90 miles north of Sacramento) on Sun. and Mon. (Aug. 14 & 15, 2005) with TracQuest. Great (but expensive) event. Lots of track time, especially on Mon. when there were only 30 cars.

But that's not what this post is about. I was planning to drive home on Tuesday, but extended my vacation when one of the Tracquest instructors told me that he was going to a driving school event at Reno-Fernley Raceway (30 miles east of Reno, Nev.) on Tues. and Wed. of that same week. The Tracquest instructor was a student at this event.

There were 4 students and 1 instructor. 5 cars total. We had the whole tracK to ourselves for 2 days. It was AWESOME. No run groups, no flaggers, no bozos, no hassles. Just unlimited track time and excellent instruction. All that for $195 per day on a 2.4 mile high speed road course. I improved my driving skills and had a blast doing it.

The instructor was a NASA racer, and said she can run the track in 1:30 in her race-prepped Miata. I ran a 1:37 in my EVO. Sure, an EVO is a lot faster than a Miata in the straights, but her Miata handles great and as long as she doesn't lose momentum, the Miata goes damn fast. Being within 7 seconds off the instructor's time ain't bad for an old guy like me.

Last edited by Richard EVO; Aug 20, 2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice! I had the same scenario with an instructor of mine a few months back. He drove a prepped Miata and I was running times about 5-6secs off of his pace. That car stuck like clue in the corners

When approaching corners while riding along in the Miata, I would just think "you should brake now....you really should brake now.....BRAKE DAMNIT!"
Old Aug 20, 2005, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, nice. sounds fun.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 07:19 PM

sounds awesome
Old Aug 20, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

The other 3 students all drove BMWs. Two E36 M3s (husband and wife) and an M Coupe (315 hp). The Tracquest instructor who was a student at Fernley had a 440 hp supercharged M3, and being an instructor himself, was pretty damn fast, although I never really raced him. I raced a lot with the M Coupe and handed him his hat. He was about as fast as me in the corners, but in the straights I pulled away like he was standing still. I was the only one who brought timing equipment (Hot Lap timer), so I don't know the other student's times.

They are adding two miles to the Reno-Fernley track this fall or winter. It is now a high speed track, so they are adding some technical stuff (i.e., tight turns) and some elevation changes that look terrific.

I plan to go back and take the driving course again after the full 4.5 mile track is available. Hope there are very few students again.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
I went to Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, Calif. (90 miles north of Sacramento) on Sun. and Mon. (Aug. 14 & 15, 2005) with TracQuest. Great (but expensive) event. Lots of track time, especially on Mon. when there were only 30 cars.

But that's not what this post is about. I was planning to drive home on Tuesday, but extended my vacation when one of the Tracquest instructors told me that he was going to a driving school event at Reno-Fernley Raceway (30 miles east of Reno, Nev.) on Tues. and Wed. of that same week. The Tracquest instructor was a student at this event.

There were 4 students and 1 instructor. 5 cars total. We had the whole tracK to ourselves for 2 days. It was AWESOME. No run groups, no flaggers, no bozos, no hassles. Just unlimited track time and excellent instruction. All that for $195 per day on a 2.4 mile high speed road course. I improved my driving skills and had a blast doing it.

The instructor was a NASA racer, and said she can run the track in 1:30 in her race-prepped Miata. I ran a 1:37 in my EVO. Sure, an EVO is a lot faster than a Miata in the straights, but her Miata handles great and as long as she doesn't lose momentum, the Miata goes damn fast. Being within 7 seconds off the instructor's time ain't bad for an old guy like me.

Richard,

If the instructor was ET, she CANNOT run 1:30 at Reno in her spec Miata. the fastest posted time she has there is about 1:37. She runs on that track daily. The last time I was at Reno (the only time), I ran 1:36, and she and one of the people she works with were telling me that they were running at T-hill as fast as I was, and that I should be much faster. I'm not fast, but not slow either, having run several 2:13-2:14 laps, with a best of 2:11...I'm an intermediate, and still have aLOT to learn. Well anyway. this other guy she works with was going off about how in a stock Evo I should be able to run 2:00, that he and his friend are prepping an Evo for the 24 hours of thunderhill, and that this friend also runs 2:00 at T-hill in a stock car. Complete BS. Also, for ET, who is a licensed racer, instructor of her own school, etc, the fastest posted times I have seen of hers at t-hill are 2:14+...this is via NASA time trials, etc. So, TNL racing is a bit suspect to me. I'm not saying she is not a nice woman, and even a good instructor, but, a LOT of rhetoric coming out of that camp. There are many Spec Miata racers that are under 2:10 at T-hill as a point of reference.

Regarding the 1:30, as a point of reference at the last ARC race she did on April 23-24, her fastest lap was a 1:37.226, she was the slowest car in the race group. Take it all with a grain of salt. 1:37 first time out on that track is not bad.

Peace.

Percy

Last edited by hagakure; Aug 21, 2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 09:24 AM

I instructed for TNL when they hosted an event for the Corvette Club last weekend. I also know ET and I also race a Spec Miata. Because I do not have transport, I did not bring my racecar up to Reno-Fernley (I live in Sacramento, and limit my travels to mostly Sears and Thunderhill unless I can bum a tow with some friends). Howver, no worries -- there were lots of Corvettes to drive.

Anyway . . . it turns out that I've actually organized more events than ET has thus far, so I will surely be helping her develop her program a little more. Seems that most of what she's been doing is closer to one-on-one type coaching. If I lived closer, I'd help her out more (I am also a professional instructor and licensed competition driver with both NASA and SCCA) with the lessons.

Anyway, I've raced with ET and driven with her, as well. Her new purple car is faster than the old red car, for sure. I remember racing that red car after ET stuck it into turn ten at Sears -- albeit I expected huge camber issues after the wreck, the motor at that time was surprisingly tired. So if whe was using the red car at the school, then it's no wonder if she was not going faster. The purple car apparently has a nice, fresh (IIRC Rebello-built) engine and should be very fast. No, ET is not the fastest driver out there. I do not know what my times would be like at the new configuration at Reno-Fernley, but I can't see it taking much longer than 1:30. ET might just have an issue with the car is all . . . I bet she'll get there sometime fairly soon.

I've been having a HUGE understeer problem in my SM, so my lap times are off by about eight seconds. So I set about to finding out what the hell was wrong -- I was faster before I set it up to be an SM! Anyway, first four seconds were shaved off after merely setting up the front and rear sways. Okay, so that's a little better. Another two seconds was shaved off after doing some more alignment tuning. Getting better. I just lost the rear-end last Thursday while having a blast with NASA . . . I suspect that it has been going out for a while, so I'll probably get back the two seconds and then some as I will be replacing the OEM open diff with an LSD.

Soooo . . . my typical track times at Thunderhill going over the haystacks is about 2:14 . . . going around the bypass puts me at more like 2:10. Justin Hall currently holds the SM record over the top of turn five (no bypass) at 2:09 and some change. GAD he's fast! I hope that my new lsd and some other tuning issues will get me closer to that record, though I know in my heart that I just don't have the ********* to put my car on rails the way Justin does. So if I get to a 2:11 or so, I'll be happy as a clam.

Point here? ET is not as fast as previously mentioned, but she's not always the slowest driver, either. Her average lap times are in the 2:15s range with the bypass, 2:18s or so going over the hill. Sure, that's not a top time, but just a couple years ago she was having a hell of a time breaking a 2:20 with the bypass (in the red car, before she whacked it, lol). So she's getting there, and so is TNL driving school. There is no reason to suspect the school, I don't think. No, I've never seen her run the track at a 1:30, but I know it can be done. If ET lets herself relax and gets more confident, you best be watching your mirrors. Especially after I get done with her. She's run some of her best times hunting me down.

So there's your reference if you all need one. My vote says it's a decent school and has a decent staff. And frankly, that track is FUN. FAST AND FUN. I like FAST. I am seriously thinking of coordinating a T.E.A.M. Racing (www.team-racing.org) event out there one of these days if I can drum up enough interest. We'd have our own instructors of course, but I am really chomping at the bit to see what my car can turn there (of course, I gotta get a diff first, lol).

Sorry for the long post . . . just stickin' up for a friend kinda thing . . .

BW
Old Aug 21, 2005, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

No problem man. I was just relating my experience, not trying to say that she is not competent, etc. Thanks for the other perspective to balance things. I've been looking around for a race school myself, or some personal coaching, maybe you have soem suggestions for a norcal person. Again, not trying to stir crap up, just pointing to what were seeming inconsstencies to me

Percy
Old Aug 21, 2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by hagakure
I've been looking around for a race school myself, or some personal coaching, maybe you have soem suggestions for a norcal person. Again, not trying to stir crap up, just pointing to what were seeming inconsstencies to me

Percy
***Oh, I didn't really think you were trying to stir anything up . . . it's just that folks might misunderstand is all. I live in Natomas, btw . . . we're probably pretty close by each other, so that's somthing to think about. I can give you personal coaching if you want, you just gotta let me know when so I can schedule it in. But most events have instructors, so you won't necessarily need my help in particular.

Race schools and driving schools are not the same thing, by the way. There are very few actual race schools around, and they are hecka pricey. There's Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant, Danny McKeever, Jim Russell . . . all great schools but pricey. Danny McKeever is probably the best deal, but he's way down in Rosamond (Lancaster area) at Willow Springs International. I think he's charging around $550 or so for a three-day school. I have been there, he's AWESOME. Check him out at http://www.raceschool.com if memory serves. Or do a Google for Fast Lane Racing School. The others I mentioned offer a LOT more, but you do pay for it.

As far as driving schools, where you get to take hot laps all day, those are abundant nowadays. Easiest way to find out who's doing what, where, is to visit the track websites themselves. For instance, if you go to http://www.thunderhill.com and click on their 'calendar' tab, you can view events going on for at least the rest of this year. Another way is to go to http://www.MotorsportReg.com and get over to their calendar. They list prices, locations, dates, etc. of upcoming events all over the country.

Anyway, I hope that helps ya out on your motorsports journey. It's an absolute blast and I cannot tell you how excited I am for you! Oh, on a more funny note . . . I'm not a man -- maybe I'd go faster if I were, lol. Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

BW
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know whether ET is fast or not. She is a bit of a flake (she spun my EVO into the dirt coming out of the last turn onto the front straight with me in the passenger seat -- at least she knows how to control a spin better than I do -- no harm no foul. To be fair, the car had new RA1s on the back and well-used ones on the front, but she knew that.) But the 2 days at Fernley were a blast and ET helped me get faster. Actually, it was my second time there. You guys all run T-hill considerably faster than I do, although, being from SoCal, I don't have much experience at T-hill.

All I will say is that for $195 per day, it's a damn good deal for unlimited track time and instruction. If I wasn't so tired at the end of the second day, I probably could have knocked another second or two off my time, but I felt fairly comfortable with a 1:37 and look forward to going back after they open up the new section of the track.

There are certainly better racing schools out there, but they cost a lot more and are more regimented, with less track time. This was a very laid back event in which the whole track belonged to us 4 students.

Last edited by Richard EVO; Aug 21, 2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:18 AM

I don't know whether ET is fast or not. She is a bit of a flake,

***Lol . . . I don't think she's so much a flake as she's just a bit nervous and needs to cement her program. I could tell at the Corvette event that she was overtaxing herself. Once she gets a good routine down, she won't be such a bundle of nerves (I hope). I know from years of experience that putting on a track day, even with a low turn-out, can really eat away at ya.

but still the 2 days at Fernley were a blast and she helped me get faster. Actually, it was my second time there. You guys all run T-hill considerably faster than I do, although, being from SoCal, I don't have much experience at T-hill.

***I'm so happy that you got some good training in and that you got to go faster. That's the whole point of the game, isn't it? And don't forget . . . I think I talked to you on another section of this forum . . . T.E.A.M. Racing is having a two-day event in November at Thunderhill. You won't have the track to yourself, but you will get one-on-one professional instruction. Maybe we can set you up with Eddie Nakato of Adrenaline Racing -- he seems to really help his Evo students out a lot.

All I will say is that for $195 per day, it's a damn good deal for unlimited track time and instruction.

***Yeah, it is! I wish the tracks down here were that good of a deal.

There are certainly better racing schools out there,

***TNL isn't a racing school . . . just a driving school. I read that they do have race-level instruction, though, but it's more pricey.

Try out a T.E.A.M. Racing event . . . sounds like our events are right up your alley. If you need references, just let me know (and be prepared to get a lot of emails, lol).

BW
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry for the gender assumption
I've done 11 open track events, so I have received some instruction at those, but am looking to get more dedicated coaching, a big difference. I'll check into the school at willow Springs. Might see you at the November event, but it is the day after thanksgiving.....so we'll see.

Originally Posted by bonster
***Oh, I didn't really think you were trying to stir anything up . . . it's just that folks might misunderstand is all. I live in Natomas, btw . . . we're probably pretty close by each other, so that's somthing to think about. I can give you personal coaching if you want, you just gotta let me know when so I can schedule it in. But most events have instructors, so you won't necessarily need my help in particular.

Race schools and driving schools are not the same thing, by the way. There are very few actual race schools around, and they are hecka pricey. There's Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant, Danny McKeever, Jim Russell . . . all great schools but pricey. Danny McKeever is probably the best deal, but he's way down in Rosamond (Lancaster area) at Willow Springs International. I think he's charging around $550 or so for a three-day school. I have been there, he's AWESOME. Check him out at http://www.raceschool.com if memory serves. Or do a Google for Fast Lane Racing School. The others I mentioned offer a LOT more, but you do pay for it.

As far as driving schools, where you get to take hot laps all day, those are abundant nowadays. Easiest way to find out who's doing what, where, is to visit the track websites themselves. For instance, if you go to http://www.thunderhill.com and click on their 'calendar' tab, you can view events going on for at least the rest of this year. Another way is to go to http://www.MotorsportReg.com and get over to their calendar. They list prices, locations, dates, etc. of upcoming events all over the country.

Anyway, I hope that helps ya out on your motorsports journey. It's an absolute blast and I cannot tell you how excited I am for you! Oh, on a more funny note . . . I'm not a man -- maybe I'd go faster if I were, lol. Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

BW
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Bonster,

there will be a lot of Evos at the september Golden Gate Lotus Club event on September 13th, if you want to lobby for more Evos at team racing events, come on out to this. It's cheap too...160.00 for 7 30 minute sessions!

Percy

Originally Posted by bonster
I don't know whether ET is fast or not. She is a bit of a flake,

***Lol . . . I don't think she's so much a flake as she's just a bit nervous and needs to cement her program. I could tell at the Corvette event that she was overtaxing herself. Once she gets a good routine down, she won't be such a bundle of nerves (I hope). I know from years of experience that putting on a track day, even with a low turn-out, can really eat away at ya.

but still the 2 days at Fernley were a blast and she helped me get faster. Actually, it was my second time there. You guys all run T-hill considerably faster than I do, although, being from SoCal, I don't have much experience at T-hill.

***I'm so happy that you got some good training in and that you got to go faster. That's the whole point of the game, isn't it? And don't forget . . . I think I talked to you on another section of this forum . . . T.E.A.M. Racing is having a two-day event in November at Thunderhill. You won't have the track to yourself, but you will get one-on-one professional instruction. Maybe we can set you up with Eddie Nakato of Adrenaline Racing -- he seems to really help his Evo students out a lot.

All I will say is that for $195 per day, it's a damn good deal for unlimited track time and instruction.

***Yeah, it is! I wish the tracks down here were that good of a deal.

There are certainly better racing schools out there,

***TNL isn't a racing school . . . just a driving school. I read that they do have race-level instruction, though, but it's more pricey.

Try out a T.E.A.M. Racing event . . . sounds like our events are right up your alley. If you need references, just let me know (and be prepared to get a lot of emails, lol).

BW
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:32 PM

Richard EVO . . . HA!!! ET spun your car! I gotta rib her on that one for sure! I've been instructing even longer than ET and never did I spin a student's car. That must have been embarassing for her! Hence, why I just GOTTA rub it in. However, you are right . . . she should have checked tire conditions, etc., long before she pushed your car enough to spin it out. Next time, let me drive it.

Hagakure . . . definitely ask specifically for Danny McKeever, and tell him Bonni sent ya. Hopefully he'll remember me after all this time. Let him know that the little white Miata is now a full-on racecar (Spec Miata) and that his son had better watch out!

BW
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by hagakure
Hey Bonster,

there will be a lot of Evos at the september Golden Gate Lotus Club event on September 13th, if you want to lobby for more Evos at team racing events, come on out to this. It's cheap too...160.00 for 7 30 minute sessions!

Percy
***What track is this at? That's a pretty good price. I'll have to wait and see if I can get the diff replaced by then . . . and I'll need new race tires if I go to that event, too . . . surely seven sessions like that will eat up my tires and I have a race the following weekend.

BW

Quick Reply: We had the Whole Track to Ourselves