Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Quantum of Solace: Why did the Aston Martin make such a unique sound when it shifted?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quantum of Solace: Why did the Aston Martin make such a unique sound when it shifted?

I posted this in Off-Topic originally but based on the replies i got there must be a gas leak or something, so I am trying again here in search of some helpful answers.

Silly question really. I was watching Quantum of Solace last night, and during the opening chase I noticed that the Aston Martin made a very unique noise when it shifted gears. It's hard to describe, but it was an almost electronic and mechanical sound , if that makes any sense.

Is that just the sound that that car makes, or is it a Hollywood effect put in after the fact?

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a customer with a DBS. You are probably hearing the clutch actuator pressurizing.

Like our Ferrari's under high speed the pressure is increased so it doesn't miss a shift.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

what threw me off is quantum of solace is suppose to be a throw-back of the earlier james bond timeline... yet you have the db9 which is fairly modern car. wats up w/ that? hehe
Old Jan 21, 2010, 05:25 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
You're assuming the sound effects, added after the fact, should sound true to life?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
You're assuming the sound effects, added after the fact, should sound true to life?
I'm not sure you read my original post correctly. I was asking if the sound was something that the Aston Martin really makes, or if it was added after the fact (fake sound effect).

For example, when I first saw "The Fast and the Furious" years ago I didn't know a lot about turbo cars, and when I heard the BOV sound I assumed it was a fake Hollywood effect added after the fact. Later I found out that the sound is real. That's why I was asking here if it was fake or something that the car really does.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

I liked the off topic version of this thread better.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vicksen
I liked the off topic version of this thread better.
Yeah I'm not going back to that forum ever. It reminded me of the time in high school when I accidentally got on the short bus while going home from school one day.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:13 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by koach
Yeah I'm not going back to that forum ever. It reminded me of the time in high school when I accidentally got on the short bus while going home from school one day.
And how did that end?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by toostar-ish
And how did that end?
Gangbanged.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by koach
Yeah the off topic is full of dumbasses that find themselves really clever. Most of them are online 24-7 and they all have stupid inside jokes, and always try to insuilt anyone new that goes in there. Most of them dont even have evos!I try to steer clear of that part of the site.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
It is a sound affect, as was stated many many many times. If you really needed a second thread to figure that out then maybe your mistake was all the times you didn't get on the short bus

Srsly though, nothing in movies is real. How does every car ever in a chase scene spin its rear wheels? Even the FWD ones? Or the drifting Evo in FNF3, which they had to convert to RWD to drift. Just enjoy the movie. And none of the AMs I have driven made any weird noises shifting, even the one on drag radials

And I do have an Evo, though I don't really see what that has to do with anything.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CaliMR
It is a sound affect, as was stated many many many times. If you really needed a second thread to figure that out then maybe your mistake was all the times you didn't get on the short bus

Srsly though, nothing in movies is real. How does every car ever in a chase scene spin its rear wheels? Even the FWD ones? Or the drifting Evo in FNF3, which they had to convert to RWD to drift. Just enjoy the movie. And none of the AMs I have driven made any weird noises shifting, even the one on drag radials

And I do have an Evo, though I don't really see what that has to do with anything.
How do you figure it has been stated "many many times" that it is a sound effect? The responses in OT were utter nonsense, and the real answers I've received have been mixed - some say it is a real sound the car makes and others say it is a fake sound effect.

You say nothing in movies is real, and even site the Fast and Furious movies. However, I already previously indicated that someone who doesn't know a lot about turbo cars, like myself at the time, would think that the BOV noise was fake, when in fact it is a real sound.

I think it was a legitimate question asking whether it was a real sound or not, since some movies contain fake sounds for cars and others contain real sounds. I really don't understand everyone's attitudes here. I haven't belonged to a car forum in about 8-9 years, but back then the Eclipse site I belonged to was filled with helpful, courteous people. I'm surprised at the amount of hostility and general unhelpful attitude from some people here, specifically outside of the main Evo forums. I thought the purpose of this site was for Evo lovers to discuss cars?

In any case thanks to all the helpful replies i did receive, even though there seems to be concrete answer one way or the other.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
I can't believe they recreate every sound, maybe enhance many sounds...but not create nearly every sound; that would not be practical.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

The DBS doesn't not make that sound when you shift. I've driven several DBS'.
Anyone remember the shifting sound on the eclipse in F&F?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WWIXMR
The DBS doesn't not make that sound when you shift. I've driven several DBS'.
Anyone remember the shifting sound on the eclipse in F&F?
Was it an HKS BOV? i can't remember...

Quick Reply: Quantum of Solace: Why did the Aston Martin make such a unique sound when it shifted?