Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

If I'm not going to buy and evo... What should I buy??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about maybe getting a WRX. This is what i've found so far

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/1652953517.html

and...

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/1683127584.html

I don't like the color of the second one, but it's a pretty reasonable price for an 03 with 44k.... considering that it's carfax checks out and the test drive goes well.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:46 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spikek1
Thanks, I appreciate that. I'll take a look into them. I'm moving to Vancouver, BC next fall for school and there's going to be a winter season, as compared to the sunny florida i live in now. Because of this i'm really leaning toward something that is Awd. But Fwd isn't bad in the snow either... Thanks for the input.
FWD + snow tires = awesome on the snow.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

i'm a full time student and have had my car for a year and a half now, have enjoyed every minute of it
Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

i would ask you to go for the evo
maybe spent less on something else to make it financially viable for you to get the evo
Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:53 PM

buy a 04-06 lancer ralliart, thats what i got when i was 18 and im 21 now and still driving it lol i bought my ralliart for 9k with only 40000 miles on it never had a problem with it
Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:54 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Used Honda Cibic.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:56 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
FWD + snow tires = awesome on the snow.
True, tires are key. I've driven in snow for the last 30 years; goes with the territory in Upstate, NY. I've driven RWD, FWD, AWD in all permutations of ice, snow, and slush. There's one common theme - have tires, will travel. The driveline configuration is moot by comparison.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 02:43 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
True, tires are key. I've driven in snow for the last 30 years; goes with the territory in Upstate, NY. I've driven RWD, FWD, AWD in all permutations of ice, snow, and slush. There's one common theme - have tires, will travel. The driveline configuration is moot by comparison.
Agreed.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Miata. When you finish school you can get that evo and keep the miata as a track car.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by spikek1
Well, after being in the market for an 03-04 evo for the past couple of months, i've finally decided that an evo isn't what I'm going to buy. Right now just isn't the right time for me, and even though I want to get something that I'll really enjoy driving, I know that i need something that is cheaper on average. I'm 20 years old and am a full time student and I think what I need at the moment is something fuel efficient, quick, reliable. Oh and not to mention... it has to have a better standing with the insurance companies. I'm not saying that i want to pick up a Yaris or something. I still want something that is performance orientated. Maybe something with Awd like the evo. Perhaps it can have a turbo. It definitely has to be manual.

It kills me to let go of the idea of owning an evo. But when i think about it, I'd rather wait untill I can properly own an evo then buy one now, and not be able to mod and drive it like I would want to.

So any suggestions guys? What do you think I should look into??

Btw, my price range is between 10k - 12k.
Bug eye wrx in great shape for that price, find a nice wrx the 07 generation tr edition with a little higher miles for around 12-15k they are nice and cheaper on insurance than evo's and sti's.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mal45247
Bug eye wrx in great shape for that price, find a nice wrx the 07 generation tr edition with a little higher miles for around 12-15k they are nice and cheaper on insurance than evo's and sti's.
Agreed. 03 and older WRXs should be easily found for under 10k.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You get tired of the maintainance aspect of it quick. On my campus, cars get hit left and right which noone leaves their insurance for you. I always worry about getting keyed and door dinged. School should be your number one priority. Have fun later after you establish your career. I just graduated and am actually selling my evo to jump into an auto 01 civic. Law school is not going to be cheap nor easy and worrying about the car only adds more stress.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
You get tired of the maintainance aspect of it quick. On my campus, cars get hit left and right which noone leaves their insurance for you. I always worry about getting keyed and door dinged. School should be your number one priority. Have fun later after you establish your career. I just graduated and am actually selling my evo to jump into an auto 01 civic. Law school is not going to be cheap nor easy and worrying about the car only adds more stress.
I agree. I just made the jump into university after having worked full time for the past 8 years. I paid off my Lancer over a year ago, and was very tempted to sell it and buy a new car. I'm glad I decided not to, since it's extremely cheap to on gas, no payments, cheap insurance, and there's not a thing wrong with it. Leave the fun toy until after you graduate and use it as a reward.

As everyone else has recommended, I'd say look for a used Lancer or Honda, and go with FWD for even lower maintenance costs.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:57 AM

hmm you make a good point that FWD has lower maintenance costs. I'll take that into consideration. Thanks for that advice! But ya... as for waiting till i'm established. That's definitely what i'm going to do. An evo has always been my dream car and i'd rather hold off on it not only because i won't be able to support it right now, but because i want to do it right without hesitation. I'm pretty much leaning towards an 03-04 bugeye WRX. It's easy to find alright mileage, less expensive models online. If anyone knows of anything for sale in south florida, let me know! i'd probably like to check it out.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 235 Likes on 211 Posts
buy the cheapest thing possible and continue to save.. you'll thank yourself later. if you're not going to get something you're going to keep forever you should just get a cheap *** reliable beater and invest the rest

Quick Reply: If I'm not going to buy and evo... What should I buy??