Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

bmw or benz?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
That seems to be the golden rule of owning modern BMWs. Stay away from anything that doesn't have a warranty.
That and a long block from the dealer is almost 40k.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris@nolimitmotors
That and a long block from the dealer is almost 40k.
lmao are you serious? thats crazy
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
merc > audi > bmw
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wazup773
hmm who ever thinks a 335i is not fast is on some crap.

They come 300hp stock faster than a evo I am pretty sure, and they arent going to cost you as much as a m3!

With some mods you could be easily at 400whp on a 335i just like i am
I made that statement, and I have actually driven one. I drove a 135i as well. Neither one was as quick as I would have expected.

Edit: The OP posted that he was looking at cars with at least 100 more HP than that.

Last edited by NFSLancerRA; Oct 28, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

How about a CLS63 AMG? Coupe' look with 4 doors. I personally prefer the 55 series engine, like E55 AMG or CLS55 AMG. Good luck!!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:06 PM
Former Sponsor

G8s are garbage my friend had a g8 and its a heavy boat that barely moved. He was fully modded with nos and everything and I keep up pretty damn close!
O rly.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Mercedes ftw!!!
Cls body is ugly
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They do make a good DD car...saves the wear and tear on the real car
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
They do make a good DD car...saves the wear and tear on the real car
True but I think an e63 would be as much as a real car can get lol
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lord251
Mercedes ftw!!!
Cls body is ugly
I really don't like the CLS body too much, but I still think it's better looking than the M6. I just don't like the 2010 E63. Too angular, too Huyndai-ish, and too much plastic in the interior. '09 E63 is better looking.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

I prefer the 2010
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Evo 8 ---> AMG or M.

I'm curious which tax bracket you fall into.. If you're in the league that can roll an AMG or an M kraut wagon, sounds like your Evo was a spontaneous purchase! No offense bro, I hope others can relate to my confusion. What the AMG/M & the Evo represent & have to offer is night & day difference! I don't think there's need on an automotive enthusiast forum to go into the details...everybody (hopefully) knows them. I would say that the Evo is very family friendly. I don't care what kind of crash rating any car has - if your purchasing decision of a vehicle for its family friendliness is based on that cars ability to accelerate after 80mph is not up to your standards, crash ratings be damned! BTW, which part of Germany do you live in??? I didn't know PA had such flexible speed limit laws - & no snow. RWD ain't got nothin' on AWD in snow! If I was at the financial level where frequent repair bills meant nothing to me, & I was going to buy a German car, I think only the RS4 would satisfy me. All the different performance cars I've driven offered by Japan, USA, Germany, & Italy - FWD, RWD, AWD, every time I would get out of an AWD car, I would have a bigger smile on my face. If you haven't realized what AWD has to offer over RWD, maybe I'm onto something when I said you might not have bought your Evo for the right reasons? Otherwise, you might be shopping for something that puts the front wheels to use..

Hope my rant doesn't sound too offensive.. I just get a little defensive of Evo's when they get compared to something entirely different & there's an implication that they're lacking somehow... apples to apples!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WW-GSR
Evo 8 ---> AMG or M.

I'm curious which tax bracket you fall into.. If you're in the league that can roll an AMG or an M kraut wagon, sounds like your Evo was a spontaneous purchase! No offense bro, I hope others can relate to my confusion. What the AMG/M & the Evo represent & have to offer is night & day difference! I don't think there's need on an automotive enthusiast forum to go into the details...everybody (hopefully) knows them. I would say that the Evo is very family friendly. I don't care what kind of crash rating any car has - if your purchasing decision of a vehicle for its family friendliness is based on that cars ability to accelerate after 80mph is not up to your standards, crash ratings be damned! BTW, which part of Germany do you live in??? I didn't know PA had such flexible speed limit laws - & no snow. RWD ain't got nothin' on AWD in snow! If I was at the financial level where frequent repair bills meant nothing to me, & I was going to buy a German car, I think only the RS4 would satisfy me. All the different performance cars I've driven offered by Japan, USA, Germany, & Italy - FWD, RWD, AWD, every time I would get out of an AWD car, I would have a bigger smile on my face. If you haven't realized what AWD has to offer over RWD, maybe I'm onto something when I said you might not have bought your Evo for the right reasons? Otherwise, you might be shopping for something that puts the front wheels to use..

Hope my rant doesn't sound too offensive.. I just get a little defensive of Evo's when they get compared to something entirely different & there's an implication that they're lacking somehow... apples to apples!

ya i understand where your coming from dont get me wrong but my evo has 140k miles on it..who said i was drivin the rear wheel drive in snow..its jus time for a new car and maybe i wanted to change it up a little im sorry if you took offense that i wanted my next purchase to be a little different..and no i did purchase the evo for all the right reasons i have owned it since i was 18 and have paid every penny on it and i seems to me tht i have outgrown it sorry if u take offense to that its jus time to move on
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
hmm who ever thinks a 335i is not fast is on some crap.

They come 300hp stock faster than a evo I am pretty sure, and they arent going to cost you as much as a m3!

With some mods you could be easily at 400whp on a 335i just like i am
the 335i was not what he was looking for. anyway i have also test driven the 335i and it really wasn't what i expected either. It is very nice to me and feels comfortable but it doesn't hold a candle to my evo in the performance department. One wheel power isn't cool either, i still can't understand why BMW didnt give it a lsd. Regardless i will be picking one up in the coming year because the Evo is becoming the garage queen and i can't say no to BMW with mitsu boost under the hood.

ON TOPIC: I will say M6, I have always liked BMW over merc cause all merc's have felt like boats to me, Also since u are after warranty stuff BMW. I do feel the M3 is a good compromise.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

No offense taken! Is the replacement going to be used year round? RWD will make things tougher in PA winters.. I am curious why you want to go with a car that is so COMPLETELY different? To me, different would be going with an STI.. or an SUV to accommodate family/cargo. I do have respect for both cars that you're considering. But if I were choosing between the E63 & the M6, I would push for the C63. The E-class benz in the hands of a driver your age would be like seeing a teenager buying a Toyota Avalon - something just looks a bit off.. Your money, your choice though!

Quick Reply: bmw or benz?