Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

E46 M3 for a DD??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E46 M3 for a DD??

Hey guys, looking for some advice/input. As my Evo becomes more and more of a Track car and less of a street car, coupled with it needs to be down for some time to have some minor body work, fender replaced, bumper/door sprayed to match. I have been looking at buying an E46 M3 as a DD. I know most people don't own an AWD as a toy and buy a RWD for a DD. The current car I am looking at is a 2003 M3 Convertible, Carbon Black on Black with 44000 miles I got the dealer to $25000 but still seems a bit high. Anyone with experience with these? What should I look for? How is the maintenance compared to an Evo? Will I still have $$ to spend finishing up my Time Attack car or is the E46 going to break me in repairs? Any tips, suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Guys!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

bmw are awesome, i love them to death, i think they are beautiful.... but i would not own one that didnt have a warranty, and my buddy who owns one will tell you the same. Car crapped out with just a few minor problems, headlight needed to be replace (which also involes resetting the computer) or something and like one other small thing. He got the warranty from the shop he got it from, the used extended warranty (whatever they are called). It was like $2,000 i think, but just that one trip to the BMW shop made it worth it.... and that has not been the only trip. If you get it, more power to you, and i will be jealous of you, but make sure you get a warranty or it will quite possibly become more of a money hog than the evo.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Good tip, I will ask if they can do a warranty as they will most likely certify the car...they just got it in inventory hasn't been inspected yet. The Evo mainly soaks my money in making it faster lol. Thats my one worry is that it will cost me a fortune if something goes wrong. I would rather spend the money on the Evo, and be able to drive the BMW.

Last edited by casper980; Feb 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Well I was looking for an E46 M3 but instead I got an Evo. I know that with the E46 M3 most electrical parts and body panels are interchangeable with the 3 series.

The thing is if you go to the dealer for maintenance prepare to get charged way more for little parts just because of the M3 badge.

The SMG automatic transmissions not only make the car way heavier they break. I would get a manual trans because they are way more reliable.

Convertible not a good reliable choice because more moving parts means future maintenance costs. Plus the coupe version feels a lot stiffer when turning.

IMO, 25,000 is way too high a price for a 03 convertible.

All the dealers in CA cant sell convertible M3s as fast as coupe M3s. Probably different market attitude in your area but I would look elsewhere for an M3.

An example would be when I came across a 02 IR coupe M3 with 17k miles at a dealership. This was an immaculate car and I would have been able to buy it for 24k OTD. Alas, I wanted to wait a week to gather my finances and check out other prospects. BIG MISTAKE!!! I later found out that M3 was sold by the next hour.

Last edited by deylag; Mar 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, I actually emailed about a different M3, it was sold the dealer said he just got this one in, so I went and looked at it with a quickness as they don't last around here either, I liked it so I put a deposit so it doesn't go missing. I would rather have a coupe, but I do like the M3 Convertible too. He originally told me $29k and I blew him up! I am hoping to get a little better price on it, and try to get the payments reasonable. If I don't get the pricing/payment I want, I will walk away quickly. Maybe I can get him to throw in a warranty and one of those M3 Jackets for that price.

If I look farther distance there are more options but driving 10hrs or flying somewhere to look at a car doesn't interest me. Maybe I can find the cars I am interested in and have Evom members that are close test drive them for me and give me their feedback. Community car buying program FTW!

Last edited by casper980; Feb 28, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

From what i heard is Vanos a bit problematic on earlier models...
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
The 01 E46 M3 models have had factory recalls. The good thing about this is most of them have been repaired by now. You can always check the carfax to see if the recall has been performed.

BMW fixes them even if the warranty is expired.

You should test drive both a M3 convertible and a M3. See which one you like better.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:09 AM

Devils advocate - for the least expensive M daily driver, E36 M3 cars, parts, and mods are less expensive. While slower in a straight line than an E46 M3, they have a more "connected" driving experience, and can be had with a 5 speed and 4 doors. Even really nice E36's can be found for under $14K and they don't have such expensive potential problems.

The E46 has potential issues with:
  • early build cars had badly toleranced rod bearings - most had complete engine replacement under warranty
  • rear trunk floor tearing at subframe mounts - class action suit was won, and many cars had warranty repair, but unrepaired cars are out there
  • SMG failure (usually its not the actual transmission, but external parts in the control and actuation system)
  • 12 small Torx bolts which attach the VANOS gear plates to the camshafts back out - results in bolts shearing, camshafts stop rotating, and bent valves. Service replacement bolts now have threadlocker applied.
  • LSD failure
If you spend a lot of time at high RPM like in road racing or advanced HPDE, the rod bearings and the crankshaft dampers need frequent preventative replacement.

You have to spend a LOT of money to make an E46 faster, unless you take the weight reduction route.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 04 loaded vert with only 38k on it for $24,500 I can list all the options and or window sticker which it listed for $68,000 if you are interisted
Old Mar 1, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nucci
Devils advocate - for the least expensive M daily driver, E36 M3 cars, parts, and mods are less expensive. While slower in a straight line than an E46 M3, they have a more "connected" driving experience, and can be had with a 5 speed and 4 doors. Even really nice E36's can be found for under $14K and they don't have such expensive potential problems.

The E46 has potential issues with:
  • early build cars had badly toleranced rod bearings - most had complete engine replacement under warranty
  • rear trunk floor tearing at subframe mounts - class action suit was won, and many cars had warranty repair, but unrepaired cars are out there
  • SMG failure (usually its not the actual transmission, but external parts in the control and actuation system)
  • 12 small Torx bolts which attach the VANOS gear plates to the camshafts back out - results in bolts shearing, camshafts stop rotating, and bent valves. Service replacement bolts now have threadlocker applied.
  • LSD failure
If you spend a lot of time at high RPM like in road racing or advanced HPDE, the rod bearings and the crankshaft dampers need frequent preventative replacement.

You have to spend a LOT of money to make an E46 faster, unless you take the weight reduction route.
Well, I spoke to my bank...they said its not worth what the dealer wants to charge, and because of how old it is, the interest rate was not good. So, I am looking at other options. I will have an M3 one of these days!! I could pay off all my bills and buy a new one no problem, well I could do it without paying off my bills but then no $$ for the Evo.

Anyways, now I am on plan B, looking for the following:

Evo X (found a 2008 for $23000 low miles...cant remember how many)
STI (found 2007 waiting on dealer to call)
5 Door WRX
128i
135i
330i
335i

I want a warranty so I don't have to worry about it so all newer models. Even considering a lease 2011 128i, I would prob buy it when lease is up.

Or plan C, find another 240sx for $3000...I do love them so and miss my old one.

Plan D, rent a car while Evo is in the shop

Any suggestions/opinions?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badlooser
I have an 04 loaded vert with only 38k on it for $24,500 I can list all the options and or window sticker which it listed for $68,000 if you are interisted
Sorry Plan B is in effect
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

i heard 98-01 were not the best bmw. i'm looking to find 02 m3 in blue and 6 speed.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by casper980
Sorry Plan B is in effect
no prob I hope you find a nice car... post up what you find I can check numbers for you if you need..
Old Mar 3, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badlooser
no prob I hope you find a nice car... post up what you find I can check numbers for you if you need..
Cool I will, I am waiting for dealer to get back to me...I asked for 135i space gray, 6 speed, M package on a lease. lets see what he finds.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by deylag
Well I was looking for an E46 M3 but instead I got an Evo. I know that with the E46 M3 most electrical parts and body panels are interchangeable with the 3 series.

The thing is if you go to the dealer for maintenance prepare to get charged way more for little parts just because of the M3 badge.

The SMG automatic transmissions not only make the car way heavier they break. I would get a manual trans because they are way more reliable.

Convertible not a good reliable choice because more moving parts means future maintenance costs. Plus the coupe version feels a lot stiffer when turning.

IMO, 25,000 is way too high a price for a 03 convertible.

All the dealers in CA cant sell convertible M3s as fast as coupe M3s. Probably different market attitude in your area but I would look elsewhere for an M3.

An example would be when I came across a 02 IR coupe M3 with 17k miles at a dealership. This was an immaculate car and I would have been able to buy it for 24k OTD. Alas, I wanted to wait a week to gather my finances and check out other prospects. BIG MISTAKE!!! I later found out that M3 was sold by the next hour.
SMG components add nominal weight, around 20lbs. Remember, it's the same transmission with the addition of a pump and hydraulic lines.

Quick Reply: E46 M3 for a DD??