Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Lower Tier fun cars....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lower Tier fun cars....

So I've had more and more thoughts about changing up my situation. I've been looking to buy a house and save up for a big wedding. Obviously freeing up more liquidity is my goal.

So I have thought about selling my Evo IX. I have a fairly large monthly payment around $565 since I bought my IX in pristine condition with low miles and tacked on some negative equity from a trade.

I don't want to outright sell the Evo without plans for the next fun car, even if it's not an Evo and not as serious. I've been researching different cars for the past few weeks and I can't seem to decide what I want to do.

The Plan:

1. Sell the Evo
2. Buy a cheap car with higher mileage for the purposes of a project car.
3. Mod said car with a forged engine rebuild or hammer on the stocker until it lets go. (might be more expensive to lose a core though)
4. Try to avoid paying retail for a built motor and do it myself, even if it takes longer. (it will)
5. Enjoy 70-90% of what the Evo could do, knowing I'm not paying an expensive monthly payment.
6. Instead of AWD, just accept it and drive the boring car when it rains/snows telling myself I'm not paying $565 a month.

My main concern is bang for the buck without going back to a Cobra or muscle car in general. I want something that can handle well this time around. The Evo is what I want, but I'm looking to find something cheaper that makes me smile. I've already paid the car well below what it blue books for so a sale should be easy and provide a few grand of extra profit to start my next journey.

Cars I've looked at.....

* Miata with the 1.8. I'd rebuild the engine with forged internals with a turbo kit seeking about 260-300 wheel.
* MR2 Spyder with a turbo kit and forged engine rebuild.
* Oldest WRX/STI I can find for cheap. Forge it, swap turbos.
* Older AWD DSM and rebuild the motor with Forged internals.
* Oldest Evo available with a blown motor or trans. Fix it myself.
* 240sx or RX-7, forged rebuild and turbo kit. (never worked on a rotary though)
* Used SVT Focus and a turbo kit + forged rebuild. (prefer to avoid FWD)

Since I was researching mostly high end cars in the $35K bracket or higher, I skipped over all of the above cars and was looking at Evo/STI/S4/335i/M3/Vette/Cobra/etc. I never really thought much about the cars above and simply knew the Evo was better so I bought one coming from a Cobra. Now I'm looking at everything trying to find a deal where as before I was only concerned with pure performance regardless of cost.

So when it comes to this DIY mentality I'm rather new to this. I've changed clutches, pulled transmissions, lifted a motor, pulled an intake, etc. I think I'm ready to stop paying so much for a good out-of-box car and build something cheaper into the car I want. I want something good for cornering and running at least 12's in the quarter with a manual transmission. I don't mind having it stuck in the garage not running for months at a time. I have another reliable DD. It will not be a daily driver, but might be driven to work on nice days a few times a week.

Obviously this project doesn't make any sense if it costs more than I gain by selling the Evo since I already believe the Evo is the best car for this kind of money.

So what's the best car for a much smaller amount of money? I would love to keep AWD but I'm willing to settle for RWD and may even go kicking and screaming to FWD if I *have* to.

Tell me what you guys think. If I must get into another loan, I'd like to keep it below $300 a month. Bonus points for cars that have blown motors I could buy for cash cheap and rebuild myself. I could care less about what other people think as long as it makes me smile when I drive it. In other words looks are not important.

Thanks guys and sorry for the long post. What's the best route for my goals?

Last edited by acidtonic; Dec 2, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 01:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An S13 240SX with LS1 swap can be had for about 12k in pretty decent shape. This assumes the body is in good shape, interior is decent, and has some suspension mods. V8 power, cheap insurance (I have a ton of tickets and my insurance was under $120/mo on my S13, with comprehensive). Since you're from the Cobra world, I'm sure you know about the LSx engines.

If you want to do the work yourself, you could even drop an LT into an S13 instead of an LS. The block are just about identical on the outside, so when the time comes and you've got some funds you can pull the LT out and throw an LS in.

I've ridden in an LS1 S13 that had upgraded heads, cams, intake, and exhaust and the acceleration was just... retarded. Handles pretty good from what I've heard as well, since the engine doesn't weigh much more than the stock engine. Most of the extra weight is in the transmission and diff, so weight distribution isn't ruined.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Cobalt SS/Saturn Ion? Cheap and relatively quick...
The turbo Cobalts are even faster, but still hold some market value so you're not as likely to find a steal.

12's can be had for not a lot of money on either option. The SS turbo runs right about a 14 second flat quarter from the factory.

If you decide to go the Focus option, don't waste money on the SVT. Just turbo a ZX3 and end up with basically the same power.

In Detroit, you have two options, AWD or FWD. You don't want a RWD car in the winter up there, it's just not practical. (My wife's from Sterling Heights)
Old Dec 2, 2011, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can find an AWD 2g dsm for around 3k with a good body. It might have some rust on it though. And its pretty easy to get those things to run 12's. Just gotta make sure you do the maintenance that the previous owner probably didn't do.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My miata makes around 210whp. It's the most fun you can have in a car for less than 15k. You can make 250-270whp on the stock block. Hell, I find it more fun than driving 500+whp evos. You can hoon the bejesus out of it and get it sideways, and still not be travelling at warp speed. And it's not a ****ing S14 with an SR. Everyone has a god damn 240.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

I would look into a 2nd generation rx7 and swap either an lt or ls series motor into it. I have been in a 2nd gen with a stock lt-1 in it. The car ran consistent 12.6's and also handled very well. Just a thought.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Dsm + $4-5k done....sorry i love the 4g man!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Miatas are always a cheap and popular plattaform to have. There is a big trade, not many cars can fill the Evo shoes..

Carlos
Old Dec 4, 2011, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a DSM would be perfect for you. You can get pretty damn clean ones for decent money these days. Just watch out as some people still think they are golden. They go 12's with very minimal mods much like an Evo will.

If you like the 4 door. Try an srt-4. I had one before my Evo and it was an absolute blast. I went 13.9 bone stock. With just a couple mods those will do 12's with ease as well. And they aren't bad in all types of weather.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

i wish i could find a nice rx7/240 lsx car for less than $10k
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

I vote for a MKII (91-95) MR2 Turbo. To this day, I still kinda regret selling my MR2. Even though mine wasn't a Turbo, but it was still great fun to drive. This was mine:

http://www.vegasmr2.com/mr2ocotm/oct2006mr2otm.htm

Eric
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
some of those cars might end up costing more..
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

there are plenty of old school cars that are turbo you can look into for a small fraction of what you get if you sell the evo. id say honestly your best bet considering you know your 4g63 and you like AWD, would be to hunt a down a clean late 90s eclispe GSX. they were AWD plus have the 4g63 motor, and they have that slick sexy look.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Never having owned a DSM and hearing non stop almost about how unreliable they are, is it something I should worry about? Or is this blown all out of proportion and a handy owner has nothing to worry about? I don't mind minor issues but being this old will it be more of a money pit?

After hearing so many replies about a DSM I'm seriously giving it some thought. There's a local one for sale for $3500 that just needs a trans rebuild. Otherwise runs and no problems.... very tempting.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Went with the Cobalt SS/TC, its a 4dr as well.

Most of the time an intake, tune, and catless downpipe and muffler delete will get you to 320whp and up to 370trq. With decent tires and a driver hitting 12's is easily done with only $1k-1.5k into the car.

However the car is a bit pricier than the ones you listed.

Quick Reply: Lower Tier fun cars....