Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Stock vs Stock: Evo IX competitors

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock vs Stock: Evo IX competitors

So a friend/coworker of mine has been searching around for a car that he likes that could keep up with my evo. Does anyone know of any other stock vehicles newer than ~2004 that can keep up in terms of performance with a stock 06' IX MR?

I've looked, and it's suprisingly difficult! I mean, I knew that the evo was fast when I got the car, however I was genuinely surprised when I started comparing it to mustangs, camaros, and STI's. So far, the only thing we can really come up with are some older bmw M3's (price).

I should probably clarify that when I say 'performance', I'm specifically talking about: #1) 0-60, #2) 1/4 mile, and #3) (least important) handling. Anyone know any fun alternatives so that my office complex doesn't get filled up with Evo IX's? haha.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Similar model years stock for stock of the STi are going to be similar in performance, but are a bit more difficult to mod, especially for power to the same level that a stock block Evo is. If he intends to keep it stock or extremely minor bolt-ons then a similar year STi would be a reasonable choice. ...but why? Is he specifically avoiding the Evo platform?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

there's a reason we all have evos...some newer cars are giving stockish evo's a run but are more expensive.

what's the budget?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Corvette & M3
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:44 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
evocar magazine wrote an awd write-up comparo between the evo IX MR vs the audi RS4 and the 997 carrera 4S. The evo ix mr came out on top. they liked the evo ix mr so much that they even compared it to the 997 turbo as well as the carrera gt. though, the evo lost in the second battle, they praise it for giving a good showing and said that it can run with the big dogs. no wonder, every evo ix mr I see are fully modified.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Honda S2000

Stock for stock, it will run with an Evo on the highway. In good conditions it will out-handle the Evo too. I used to own one...great car.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:59 AM

Ah yeah, lol budget is probably important to mention. Somewhere around/under 25k. My buddy is more of the type who enjoys the 'classy' European vehicles, or the sleek phallic looking cars lol. He prefers 2 doors over 4, and is probably going to feel better about driving a RWD, which is why I put acceleration times over handling.

I don't think he's close minded to the Evo, it's probably that friendly competitive thing -- not wanting to copy your friend, or one-up your friend

For a frame of reference the 2 car's he's usually drooling over are the BMW Z4, and Nismo (body kit) 370z. For the type of car that he's looking for and the price range, I'm not entirely convinced he's going to find something that will keep up with my Evo, so that's why I'm reaching out to you guys to see if we're missing something.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

^this. the s2000 is a great handling car as well, but it doesn't compare to the evo in regards to practicality (4 door's) and awd in harsh weather conditions. If you're comparing body style/drivetrain as well, I would recommend any of the older S4's.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Honda S2000

Stock for stock, it will run with an Evo on the highway. In good conditions it will out-handle the Evo too. I used to own one...great car.

That's actually a good suggestion, I completely forgot about the s2000, that might be close enough to a z4 body style for him
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

370 z's are very fast cars, and my buddy just picked up the z4 m coupe. Its definitely not as fast as the evo, but it will keep up
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

you're comparing magazine times.

a great driver in a stock EVO can run with or run circles around almost any car on the road, they are that capable.

Guys who track their car on a regular basis will tell you short of a slick tired, trailered, all-out race car, piloted by a good driver, there isn't much that can hang with an EVO in the right hands.

In my near stock powered EVO I've passed GT3's, 950whp Cobras, Z06's, M3's and the list goes on...
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Your friend sounds like he has envy. If you know what I mean. :-)
Co-workers can be annoying when it comes to things like this. I used to know a guy who constantly claimed that is Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel with just a reflash and a muffler delete was faster than my IX!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

now that I know the budget I'll go with s2k...its far under the budget and stock for stock is slower then a stock evo..but not too much (I've raced my stock evo vs a 4.77 fd s2k)

the handling is actually on par or better then an evo if you can drive it correctly.

tell him to pick up an s2k get an intake (nosie) and 4.77 final drive. And his set.

Last edited by Montu; Dec 29, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Evo... X? lol

German - BMW E46 M3, 335, Benz E55/550,

Japanese - STI, 370, IS350

American - 04 Cobra, 6.0 GTO, Corvette.

Just some of the cars I looked at in the same price range.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

delete

Quick Reply: Stock vs Stock: Evo IX competitors