Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

NEED ADVICE! focus evo, or focus skyline?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now as for GETTING aGTR here you can do that fairly easy. HOWEVER getting it road legal is about a snowballs chance in hell after MOTOREX and that other company impoted them. I have seen several of them as track only cars. But are you willing to just have that thing as a track beast. IF you really want one the best bet is to by a leagl one already but finding people that do have them willing to part with them is well not likley.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's an average price for a non-GTR R34 in Japan. The reason they're so expensive HERE is because of how hard it is to get one here.

To get one here completely legally, you'll need triple or quadruple your budget. RB parts are crazy expensive, too.

tl;dr: You can't afford the Skyline and you don't have the means to bring it into the USA. Be happy with your Evo.

Originally Posted by Murf
Now as for GETTING aGTR here you can do that fairly easy. HOWEVER getting it road legal is about a snowballs chance in hell after MOTOREX and that other company impoted them. I have seen several of them as track only cars. But are you willing to just have that thing as a track beast. IF you really want one the best bet is to by a leagl one already but finding people that do have them willing to part with them is well not likley.
Even getting one onto US soil isn't easy. You have to know exactly what paperwork to fill out, and how to fill it out, before the car ever gets on a boat in Japan. This is assuming you want to do it the completely legal way.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if i were u, i'd keep the evo, the skyline sounds fishy. the r34's go for 80k or more. if you are looking to make the skyline a specific track only and no road way, then ya, just get it as a side car if it is even legit. i am pretty positive customs will just crush the car.

dont know if you have read all the cases of agents confiscating all the skylines and japanese cars over here and crushing them. even moto-wuteva, the shop that crashed all the skylines to make it legal went out of business. even the skyline from fast and furious got confiscated. would u risk it? i wouldnt.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sujinX
if i were u, i'd keep the evo, the skyline sounds fishy. the r34's go for 80k or more. if you are looking to make the skyline a specific track only and no road way, then ya, just get it as a side car if it is even legit. i am pretty positive customs will just crush the car.

dont know if you have read all the cases of agents confiscating all the skylines and japanese cars over here and crushing them. even moto-wuteva, the shop that crashed all the skylines to make it legal went out of business. even the skyline from fast and furious got confiscated. would u risk it? i wouldnt.
Motorex went out of business because the owner was doing some very very sketchy things in his business and personal life. An R34 GTR can be had here in the US for much less than $80k.

If you REALLY want a LEGAL Skyline, then start taking a look at the R33. There are NO R32 and R34 Skylines that are 100% legal in the United States. You can find tons of them with state titles, but they're illegal at the FEDERAL level. It's up to you if you want to risk the Dept. of Homeland Security knocking on your door and impounding the car.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stick with the Evo, that skyline isn't even a real GTR. Only the 96-98 skylines were crash tested in America, therefore you would probably have your car confiscated and crushed or sold and sent back to Japan. (if its imported as street vehicle) Also if it were a 96-98 Skyline you would still have to do an OBD conversion, modify the chassis to comply with the NHTSA, and modify emissions for the EPA. Not to mention you have to pay a registered importer to do all this for you within 120 days or you can kiss that skyline goodbye
Even then you would have to pay the import tax, and other fees. I would guesstimate you would be spending all together around 27k for a legalized skyline.. that still isnt the famed awd monster GTR don't be a tool and get a fake GTR
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VIVID^^
Shady would be putting it mildely Agree doing it LEGAL is going to be VERY hard, legal as in road going but not a TOTAL ball buster if you only want to do track. We have one R33 around town, a legal one. That a guy will part with but he wants around 50K.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Motorex went out of business because the owner was doing some very very sketchy things in his business and personal life. An R34 GTR can be had here in the US for much less than $80k.

If you REALLY want a LEGAL Skyline, then start taking a look at the R33. There are NO R32 and R34 Skylines that are 100% legal in the United States. You can find tons of them with state titles, but they're illegal at the FEDERAL level. It's up to you if you want to risk the Dept. of Homeland Security knocking on your door and impounding the car.
Yup, the R33 Spec-V is one of my "unicorn cars", so a few years ago I actually looked into the cost of actually getting one legally. Everything I found is that if I had any intention of using it on the road it was going to be a constant nightmare of looking over my shoulder hoping the feds didn't crush it, or losing the money outright from shady deals. Even as a dedicated track monster it doesn't make any sense because of the cost of parts and difficulty in getting a clean chassis.

If grown adults making 10-15 TIMES the salary of the OP don't think its a wise financial investment, its probably disastrous for a kid making under the poverty line. Having an Evo at 19 is amazing... enjoy the car, pay it off, and get a decent career so if you want to invest in your dream car down the line you can.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Call your local DMV or Tax office and ask them what the steps are to registering a vehicle here in the states. The guy in Japan can tell you everything you want to hear, but where is he gonna be when customs will not release your car...

Think buddy. Your young. Just cover all of your basis. If they tell you good news, then go ahead and ship it. It's what you like, don't let anybody else tell you otherwise. Just be smart about it. Think of all the if/buts/why, etc..

EDIT: Wow, thatguy5 has some better info!

Last edited by Evo_Jr; Feb 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thatguy5
Stick with the Evo, that skyline isn't even a real GTR. Only the 96-98 skylines were crash tested in America, therefore you would probably have your car confiscated and crushed or sold and sent back to Japan. (if its imported as street vehicle) Also if it were a 96-98 Skyline you would still have to do an OBD conversion, modify the chassis to comply with the NHTSA, and modify emissions for the EPA. Not to mention you have to pay a registered importer to do all this for you within 120 days or you can kiss that skyline goodbye
Even then you would have to pay the import tax, and other fees. I would guesstimate you would be spending all together around 27k for a legalized skyline.. that still isnt the famed awd monster GTR don't be a tool and get a fake GTR
1st person in this thread that's well informed

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Yup, the R33 Spec-V is one of my "unicorn cars", so a few years ago I actually looked into the cost of actually getting one legally. Everything I found is that if I had any intention of using it on the road it was going to be a constant nightmare of looking over my shoulder hoping the feds didn't crush it, or losing the money outright from shady deals. Even as a dedicated track monster it doesn't make any sense because of the cost of parts and difficulty in getting a clean chassis.

If grown adults making 10-15 TIMES the salary of the OP don't think its a wise financial investment, its probably disastrous for a kid making under the poverty line. Having an Evo at 19 is amazing... enjoy the car, pay it off, and get a decent career so if you want to invest in your dream car down the line you can.
The standard R33 GT-R can be had with little to no worry about it being confiscated. The Spec V would probably fall under the "substantially similar" clause. It's just too expensive to be worth it.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

You are in Jersey, why don't you buy a skyline directly from this shop that I know in NJ, he can sell you a legalized registered skyline. The owner himself drives a R34 with NJ plate. Pm me if you want to know where the shop is. but i can tell you it's gonna cost your more than 10k to have it legalized for street.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fugiwara
You are in Jersey, why don't you buy a skyline directly from this shop that I know in NJ, he can sell you a legalized registered skyline. The owner himself drives a R34 with NJ plate. Pm me if you want to know where the shop is. but i can tell you it's gonna cost your more than 10k to have it legalized for street.
It is not possible to have a federally legal R34. I don't care what this shop has told you, it's not possible. STATE title/registration does not mean it's legal at the FEDERAL level. A state legal car is in sort of a legal limbo. If you get pulled over for speeding, you'll be fine... However, when Homeland Security finds out you've got an illegally imported Skyline, they WILL come looking for you and the car. They WILL confiscate the car and crush it.

Like I said before, it's possible but it's not worth it.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:19 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
19 years old: Check. Fast and Furious quote in sig: Check. Under 100 posts on the forum: Check. Low paying job / living at home: Check. Wants to import a banned car / swap a 2JZ/RB26/LSx into his Evo: Check.

... good advice.

Last edited by FJF; Feb 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:47 AM

Steps to get a GTR:

1. Join the Air Force
2. Get stationed in Germany/Japan
3. Make nicey with a couple C-17 crews
4. Find your dream car
5. Bring it back with you at the end of your tour

Otherwise, good luck cuz you're gonna pay an arm and a leg, and thats not even counting the cost of parts if you wanna modify it.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by LightningCrossZ
Steps to get a GTR:

1. Join the Air Force
2. Get stationed in Germany/Japan
3. Make nicey with a couple C-17 crews
4. Find your dream car
5. Bring it back with you at the end of your tour

Otherwise, good luck cuz you're gonna pay an arm and a leg, and thats not even counting the cost of parts if you wanna modify it.
Yup.

Your evolution will be faster and more reliable than that skyline. Plus you can replace the parts much easier.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by lanberg
Youre right if I had rent, bills etc..... Im a kid, I dont have many bills at all.

19 and a kid EL O EL.

1,700$ with no rent is still nothing. Instead of getting into car payments etc why don't you leave the rents crab shack. There is no hope anymore

Quick Reply: NEED ADVICE! focus evo, or focus skyline?