Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Subaru BRZ - Streets of Willow Springs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
OK literal larrys, did you not see the trickle in before that?
I had about 10+ different Evo 10's on the dyno before March 2008, not really a trickle in my eyes..
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:59 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Ok, so when did the first one come in? Because no one up here could them.

Did these Evos come from South Coast?

I know ETS had the first one in the NW, and it was in 2008.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by migs647
Ok, so when did the first one come in? Because no one up here could them.

Did these Evos come from South Coast?

I know ETS had the first one in the NW, and it was in 2008.
I saw my first about the 15th of Jan. (The blue one I posted earlier)
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:26 AM
EvoM Community Team

OK, so original point that brought all of this up... how were they doing track time in 07?

To Otters point, they usually release summer / fall, but 08 was different because it was a new car. As I recall, the first ones didn't hit shore till 2008 (whatever month it was).
Old Jun 3, 2012, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Because HP has everything to do on a tight road course....
My point, you missed it.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 03:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ambystom01
My point, you missed it.
My apologies, Mr. Argue To Argue(tm)
Old Jun 3, 2012, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
My apologies, Mr. Argue To Argue(tm)
No problem Mr. Missed the Point (tm).
Old Jun 4, 2012, 06:35 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Kyoo(ch), I love you, but I edited your thread title because I just got the magazine.

In the hands of Mr. Pobst, I'm confident the BRZ would fall to the STI and the Evo. The article doesn't mention any cars other than the ones he drove for Motor Trend: Genesis, BRZ, FR-S, Miata, GTI, and Mustang. Those other times were just normal dudes at the track day. I'm pretty sure I would be humiliated by Pobst in a much slower car too.

I did find the article really interesting. The thing that sucks for me is that rationally, the only car on that list I could own as a parent is the GTI. I would love to wheel around a Miata, but it is impossible to take my kids anywhere. I guess if it was a second car, it could work out. I'd happily own any of the cars on that list except the Genesis and Mustang, not a fan of those.

I'm hoping for a turn at a manual FR-S's helm this week, but if it presells first, it won't happen, obviously. I'll report back if it works out.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
lol faiir enough. i was under the impression the other laptimes were from at least some kind of qualified driver, since they at least come from some kind of publication, but i guess that's a leap. no disagreement there for sure, just interesting to note that the car does have much capability.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 08:14 AM
EvoM Community Team

^--- yah you can post a time yourself there if you like.

It really sucks, the Evos haven't had a pro driver go to top tracks in any of these comparisons. Maybe we can get Foust to go out there

Or Noize ...........................
Old Jun 4, 2012, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't buy a BRZ personally, but I'm sure they're great cars. Nevertheless I highly doubt they can compete with evo's under equal conditions (Pobst driving against random track day folk isn't exactly equal). Like someone else said, put some professionals behind the wheel of an evo and those times will come out a lot different.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

I was at a SCCA autocross yesterday at the NJ Meadowlands, the parking lot next to where the autox was being held was being used by Scion holding a FRS test drive. After the trophies were handed out a bunch of us went over to check out the event. The Scion folks had a makeshift autocross track laid out with a zillion cones forming a track that an everyday driver could follow, think of it as an autocross with cones every 5 feet or so on both sides of the track sono one would step out of "the" line.
The Scion guys were pretty cool as they knew that we weren't the same type of drivers that they had been getting all day. They had a plastic cover velcro'd over the buttons that disabled the traction controls and had been running the cars with traction on all day for the normal drivers. Once we invaded the event, which was at the end of the day for them they looked the other way as some of us disabled the traction controls thanks to our trusty iphones and a quick google search on how to do it. The car was a blast to drive letting the rear kick out whenever I wanted it to, it was very balanced and transitioned really cleanly on the slalom. Unfortunately we only got two laps of the course but it was evident that this is indeed a drivers car and with a little aftermarket love the car will be a hit on both Autocrosses and on the track. The cars we drove had trd suspensions and Yokohama S drive tires on Enkei PFO1's and RPF1's as well as TRD exhausts. Unfortunately they were automatic. The one thing that I really noticed is how low to the ground the car was compared to my evo and how peppy the NA 2 liter was.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:51 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
^Lucky! Sounds awesome. I wish they had manuals for you guys.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I need to go test drive one of these...
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Locally, the Subaru and Toyota/Scion dealers are letting me down because neither has received their allotment yet. I really want to drive a BRZ/FR-S, but am almost scared it would make me consider jumping ship. Hopefully the back seat is way too small, because that will hold off the temptation.

Look at a late model Toyota Celica and see if you can fit a car seat back there. That'll give you an idea.

Quick Reply: Subaru BRZ - Streets of Willow Springs