Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs GT500

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1997_GSX
I have a buddy with a modded (big blower, drag radials, bolt-ons)
gt500 (made 690whp spinning on the dyno) it ran a 60mph roll against a full weight Evo 8 (bolt-ons, gt3065 making 430whp on a mustang dyno) and it wasn't until 130-140mph until the gt500 started to pull away...
Then something is seriously wrong with that car, or your buddy cannot drive for his life.

And really you think, everything copacetic, a 690RWHP wouldn't have trouble desolating a 430WHP evo?

You are comparing a high 130s/140mph trap car, vs a 120mph trap car.

I would think maybe because of SERIOUS traction issues, the Evo might keep pace till 100mph.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HAHAV8
Maybe stock ones.

300WHP is enough to go 12s with a decent driver.
Lets see your time slips.... And you said 12s with just intake and tune, 11s with more.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:33 PM

Then something is seriously wrong with that car, or your buddy cannot drive for his life.

And really you think, everything copacetic, a 690RWHP wouldn't have trouble desolating a 430WHP evo?

You are comparing a high 130s/140mph trap car, vs a 120mph trap car.

I would think maybe because of SERIOUS traction issues, the Evo might keep pace till 100mph.
Even with Mickey Thompson ET streets it was all over the road, yeah traction was an issue... He can drive just fine... I was in the GT500 when they were racing also road in the camera car a 480whp mustang GT with the gt500 supercharger on it, and it couldn't hang with the Evo or the gt500...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Here you go, fanboys!

Let me guess, this isn't impressive. Bolt-on, you heard right, bolt-on, GT500 doing 142mph in the 1/4 mile? I think that is on par with the fastest X in the world, and lets not even get into how driveability, and reliability factor in.

Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by seanr8368
Lets see your time slips.... And you said 12s with just intake and tune, 11s with more.
Oh yeah easily, 12s should be capable with just a tune, mid 12s too.
Mods include MBC, tune, drop-in, my car makes nearly identical power, same shop, same dyno.

Originally Posted by 1997_GSX
Even with Mickey Thompson ET streets it was all over the road, yeah traction was an issue... He can drive just fine... I was in the GT500 when they were racing also road in the camera car a 480whp mustang GT with the gt500 supercharger on it, and it couldn't hang with the Evo or the gt500...
That is interesting. I'm not saying it didn't happen but lets be real here, 690WHP should easily put 10+ cars on a 430WHP Evo.

The video I just posted is about as fast as most 700WHP Evo's run.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acidtonic
Amen. What's funny about the lightning lap is how the numbers really praise the Evo.

You know how the 5.0 beat the Evo by like 2 seconds? Yeah, here's the stats on that..... Not surprisingly the journalists didn't exactly point it out.

The Evo was only 74lbs lighter than the Mustang 5.0 and had a whopping 121hp less, yet ran within 2 seconds! Holy Cow!

How many times does a car within less than 100lbs difference, down 121 horsepower, come within 2 seconds of another car? Well it's not horsepower..... perhaps it's handling..

All the cavemen saw was a chance to thump their chest and say "The Mustang Won!". I saw a crazy difference in power, yet similar times..... a nice golf clap for the Evo even though no one else was paying attention.

I would bet real money that if you gave each car an additional 50hp and ran them around the same course again, the 5.0 would not win, and would not show as much of a gain in lap times.

The Evo is just begging for power. The 5.0 has 121 more ponies and can't seem to make use of it to pass a similar weighted car.
Here's the difference: the 5.0 costs less. It also costs much less to make much faster. Displacement wins. I have a 500whp+ X and it wasn't cheap to get there.

I am not knocking the Evo. I love my car. But I don't deny the abilities of other cars. That's what a car enthusiast is--someone who appreciates cars in general regardless of origin. I'm not the type of person who buys the same kind of car over and over again. I don't have brand loyalty to car makers. I buy the best I can buy at the time, and the X was that choice in 2009. It's a completely different playing field now.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

My 2 cents...

I have never tracked a car.

I've driven lots of different cars on the street.

To me the Evo is the obvious choice.

I live in Portland Oregon. On the weekend sometimes I like to drive to Mt Hood right now there is significant snowy conditions, in the Evo it's no problem just jump in the car and go. GT500 you might die on the way.

The Evo is a four door car that has reasonable power stock or with light to moderate tuning, additionally it handles well in all seasons on all road types in all conditions. The Evo is just more practical all around in all situations. It seats 5 average sized people comfortably and they can get in or out of the car without looking like a parade of clowns getting in or out of the car (rear doors).

Definitely the GT500 in a straight line or around most tracks is going to beat the Evo, it has DOUBLE THE POWER. I'm sure it handles well also. It is however 40% more expensive.

I'd go buy a reasonable mileage 2010 X for $25k then put in a built bottom end, build the transmission and put in a clutch that suits your needs plus bolt ons $15k ish. Your in for $40k total. The GT500 may/will still be faster in most situations but the margins will be closed significantly and your still $26k below the cost of a new GT500 with all the EVO practicality and plenty of power to have a heck of a good time on any track or down any street. Slap on your snow tires and head to the mountain on the weekend for your ski trip.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang/...est-specs.html
http://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/la...road-test.html
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Posers? No, we just realize that there are much better cars than our toy econobox cars.

GT500 will smoke an Evo, drag race, circuit, anything besides off road.

The 5.0 is a better value than the Evo. No debating it. The only thing that is a toss up is handling between the two, everything else goes to the 5.0

I love my Evo but I realize it has short comings. I'm not a fanboy.
Now you tell me how the 5.0 is such a better value? Oh let's also include its way harder to drive considering its a solid rear axle and rear wheel drive, it has a poorer resale value, barely a back seat, and poor gas mileage. The evo has its short coming too I know! The 5.0 has a slightly better 1/4 mie time and braking. Not surprised it has more than double the displacement and no drag like an awd car. The evo is fater in the slalom and the evo is faster 0-60. If you think an evo is an econobox toy then why would you ever buy one? I wouldn't spend 35/k on an econobox toy. You bought a car derived from rally racing. Take it to track where it was designed to be so at least you can say you attempted to drive it to its potential before making an understatement like that. I'm sorry there's no way a modded 5.0 can outrun a modded evo on a track unless its long and straight. Stock for stock maybe... The Gt 500 better out perform an evo it's got triple the power.

Last edited by EriCS; Dec 19, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EriCS
Now you tell me how the 5.0 is such a better value? Oh let's also include its way harder to drive considering its a solid rear axle and rear wheel drive, it has a poorer resale value, barely a back seat, and poor gas mileage. The evo has its short coming too I know! The 5.0 has a slightly better 1/4 mie time and braking. Not surprised it has more than double the displacement and no drag like an awd car. The evo is fater in the slalom and the evo is faster 0-60. If you think an evo is an econobox toy then why would you ever buy one? I wouldn't spend 35/k on an econobox toy. You bought a car derived from rally racing. Take it to track where it was designed to be so at least you can say you attempted to drive it to its potential before making an understatement like that. I'm sorry there's no way a modded 5.0 can outrun a modded evo on a track unless its long and straight. Stock for stock maybe... The Gt 500 better out perform an evo it's got triple the power.
The 5.0 is a much better value if you want performance. It is faster, has way more modding potential, is easier to mod to high hp, throw some suspension mods and you will be amazed at how well it handles.

Resale value? Doesn't matter to me. The X has poor resale also.
Back seat? Who cares, we aren't talking practicality, we are talking performance.

Harder to drive? I'm not a little girl, so I actually prefer the challenge of handling RWD.

The Evo is an econobox toy by comparison, I bought it because I like it, but I know it is not even close to the end all be all performance car.

0-60 time? 5.0 is much faster, by about half a second stock. Not to bench race but most magazines get low 4s for the 5.0, and most get around 5 for the Evo.

As for triple the hp? Even if it was whp, the GT500 packs a little more than double.

I suggest you test drive a 5.0 and you're opinion will change, it makes the Evo look like a souped up economy car(which it is).

Last edited by HAHAV8; Dec 20, 2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 5.0 is a much better value if you want performance. It is faster, has way more modding potential, is easier to mod to high hp, throw some suspension mods and you will be amazed at how well it handles.

I suggest you test drive a 5.0 and you're opinion will change, it makes the Evo look like a souped up economy car(which it is).
I'll bite... We see the GT 500s and other Mustangs on track pretty regularly, many fully built out as race cars. When they are competing in my class TTS/ ST2, they are generally fully built race cars (or close) and modded extensively, such that everyone on track is at the same weight to power, all with well developed suspensions. That said, these Mustangs are off pace a bit, good cars, just a bit slower. Could be the driver, could be the car, could be the track and conditions. I suspect that, even with the suspension mods, they are getting out handled. Hard to say, as they are nice cars and I always feel a little bad when I pass them because I know they were so expensive (I feel awful eating Porsches up too...).

I'll keep the souped up economy car and you can drive the Mustang. When I out brake you entering turn 7, rotate and get back to gas while you are still managing your throttle oversteer and jittery rear end you can tell your friends that your car is better, with a faster 0-60 time.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Johnr352
I'll bite... We see the GT 500s and other Mustangs on track pretty regularly, many fully built out as race cars. When they are competing in my class TTS/ ST2, they are generally fully built race cars (or close) and modded extensively, such that everyone on track is at the same weight to power, all with well developed suspensions. That said, these Mustangs are off pace a bit, good cars, just a bit slower. Could be the driver, could be the car, could be the track and conditions. I suspect that, even with the suspension mods, they are getting out handled. Hard to say, as they are nice cars and I always feel a little bad when I pass them because I know they were so expensive (I feel awful eating Porsches up too...).

I'll keep the souped up economy car and you can drive the Mustang. When I out brake you entering turn 7, rotate and get back to gas while you are still managing your throttle oversteer and jittery rear end you can tell your friends that your car is better, with a faster 0-60 time.
I never said it makes a better race car.

But stock for stock performance value the 5.0 is superior. There is no debating it.

I also never stated the 5.0 handles better, I only said it is a very capable car especially with some mods.

Last edited by HAHAV8; Dec 20, 2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, then there's some confusion with your various posts - specifically,

You said "the GT500 will smoke an Evo, drag race, circuit, anything besides off road."

You said "throw some suspension mods and you will be amazed at how well it handles". Compared to what, a red wagon? a school bus?

Ok, but as for performance "value", it's a subjective element and such that it is dependent on the perspective of the user.

Taking the two statements together I offered some contrary evidence that, even when some suspension mods are "thrown" at it, the GT500 still comes up a little short.

Maybe more accurately, you want to share, in summary: You believe the GT500 is better value than the Evo X as street performance platform based on it's stock power.

OK, I suppose, and, like I said, it's a good car, but it's no more accurate a statement than if a post indicated the Evo X is a better performance platform because it has a better back seat. It's all subjective, which is fine, right up until you make broad statements regarding the absolute performance of the car, inferring comparison to another. My comments and perspective, ascertained from practical experience, offer a counter perspective.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

I never said it makes a better race car.

But stock for stock performance value the 5.0 is superior. There is no debating it.

I also never stated the 5.0 handles better, I only said it is a very capable car especially with some mods.
Your ridiculous! Your statements make no sense... Oh wait guys the 5.0 makes more horsepower and is better for modding which in your eyes horsepower obviously only matters. Your a typical street racer that has no clue what there talking about. Oh not for nothing but most evo mustang owners mod there cars so who gives a crap about stock form anyway? Ok let's stick to your argument on stock form! You said the mustangs show a faster 0-60 time than what I posted in most results, show me the data? I'm sure you can account for the same on the evo as well if you wanna go that route. The evo outperformed the mustang in a slalom by 3 mph which is substantial. Still the mustang is better because it makes more power and is faster quarter mile! Did you ever think of traction as an issue with a rear wheel drive car? I'd much rather be able to put down the power I make coming out if a turn then trying to keep a rear end from over rotating. To be honest I guarantee that most inexperienced drivers can drive an awd car better than a rear wheel drive car! How many people can really manage a mustang like these professional drivers on a street or course? None it's not even a debatable argument. Prove to me that the mustang is that more superior or at least somewhat superior! You just had someone who races in TT/s2 tell you that the mustangs don't keep up and there variables that can determine that with driver ability etc. Now you said I meant stock form not race cars? These cars are setup to be proportionally equal in that class I think it's a pretty fair judgement in modded form. Show me where the mustang 5.0 can outrun an evo in stock form on multiple tracks and I will shut up... "The evo is a suped up econobox". Lol give your car a little more credit! I guess the 2.0 liter turbocharged engine that puts out close too 300 hp, one of the best steering racks, one of the best awd systems ever produced, and a factory platform equipped with Brembo brakes and a superb chassis is a suped up econobox. No rnr ever really went I to these cars their just glorified tin cans!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

It's also funny that your username is HAHAV8, quite contradicting isn't it?

Quick Reply: Evo X vs GT500