Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Is it bad that I...? (***Pics***)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it bad that I...? (***Pics***)

Is it bad that I am already wanting a different car? In late November I found a 03 Nissan 350z that was in project form due to the previous owner wanting to go with twins. He ran out of free time to work on it, (due to running his own business) and listed it for sale. I stumbled upon the ad, checked the car out, and a few weeks later I had it on a trailer coming to my house. Over the winter I got everything put together, and for the last couple weeks, I've been driving it a few times a week. The car is great, but one of my friends has an Evo X and it's just so damn nice, and I've wanted an Evo for a while now, so I started thinking about possibly trying to get into one instead of the Z. Plus, I miss awd. (Right before I bought the Z I had a super clean TT Stealth.)

So basically the reason for this post is to see what the forum's opinions are for my situation. Stick with a fun, clean, TT Z, or should I think about trying to sell/trade the Z for an VIII or IX? As I said before, I have wanted an Evo for a long time, I just never really had the opportunity to get one.

And not that this is a for sale thread, but here are some deets on my Z. (With pics of course)

03 Nissan 350z Touring
6 Speed
APS TT Tuner kit
APS 3.5” downpipes
Custom 3” true dual exhaust with Tanabe exits
Forged wastegates
AAM Stage 1 Fuel Rail Return System
Walbro 255lph
GTR R35 570cc Injectors
TurboXS UTech
HKS SSQV BOV
Dual Innovate widebands
RPS Max Single Disk
Clutch + Light Flywheel
NGK 1 step cooler spark plugs
Pathfinder Rear coolant bypass mod
Mishimito Racing radiator
Mishimito Silicon coolant hoses
Mishimito Oil Sandwich Plate
Deleted oil heater and lines
18x9.5 XXR 522 With BFG G Force TA's

Old Apr 11, 2014, 07:42 PM

Bump it up for some Evo sway. I posted this same thread over at my350 and they are all telling me to stick with the Z and basically saying that it'd be a downgrade to go to an Evo. (I don't really agree, but I've always been an Evo fan.) Anyone want to share their thoughts on why an Evo is better than a TT Z?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 07:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The Z guys will say stick with the Z, the Evo guys will say buy an Evo. Find somebody local and drive one. Only you can make the decision based on what you want from the car.

My $.02 of a post.

Last edited by shivers; Apr 11, 2014 at 07:47 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old Apr 11, 2014, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by shivers
The Z guys will say stick with the Z, the Evo guys will say buy an Evo. Find somebody local and drive one. Only you can make the decision based on what you want from the car.

My $.02 of a post.
I kind of figured as much, but I was hoping to hear why both parties think their car is better than the other. Actually in my last post on the Z forum I said that I probably just need to go out and drive an Evo to see how I feel about them.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
The Evo is a "down grade"? No offense, but let me see how the Z works in the rain and snow...You can take some of those Z guys, pack them in the Evo and ENJOY the bad weather. Go out in the Z, and you can only take one other person and hope the weather gets better right quick. The Evo is a all seasons FAST car. The Z? Only 8 months, or so. Plan on having a family and want to take the family out? Goodbye Z.

No offense, but get an year Evo to park next to your Z. Yeah, I'm prejudiced, but I think the Evo kills with the looks, etc...Granted, the real early Z's were something to look at, but...Your car as a TT might be faster, but if you make a list for both cars, Pro and Con, I think the Evo knocks it out of the park. Just my two cents. Good luck with your decision. Come on over!

Last edited by NJ9MR; Apr 11, 2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by NJ9MR
The Evo is a "down grade"? No offense, but let me see how the Z works in the rain and snow...You can take some of those Z guys, pack them in the Evo and ENJOY the bad weather. Go out in the Z, and you can only take one other person and hope the weather gets better right quick. The Evo is a all seasons FAST car. The Z? Only 8 months, or so. Plan on having a family and want to take the family out? Goodbye Z.

No offense, but get an year Evo to park next to your Z. Yeah, I'm prejudiced, but I think the Evo kills with the looks, etc...Granted, the real early Z's were something to look at, but...Your car as a TT might be faster, but if you make a list for both cars, Pro and Con, I think the Evo knocks it out of the park. Just my two cents. Good luck with your decision. Come on over!
Yeah, honestly even though I drive a Z, I think I'm more on the Evo's side here. I know how much of an all around performance car they are, and I think they look great. One of the Z guys actually just had a nice post defending the performance of Evos (I think he owns an Evo and a Z) and he posted the video below. Needless to say, I want a X. Lol.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qreQwTeaVWY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:56 PM

regardless of what you choose, that Z looks great! Congrats!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a fan of the oversized exhaust pipes. Makes the car look cheap. But still nice car.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like others have said the Evo is a year round performance car that you can put a bunch of people in. I routinely have more than one person in mine. The Z's are great cars and look good, but after having an Evo for a short while I often wonder why I didn't get one sooner.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have always had as soft spot for the Z cars. The 300z was my favorite car growing up. I even test drove the 370z before I bought the Evo. Nothing against the performance of the 370 but I just wanted a 4 door instead of 2. I have always had a coupe and was just tired of only able to fit 2-3 max in the car.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the compliments on my Z guys. I am pulling the trigger on it though. I have it listed in the other car section for trade for an Evo. I'm also going to be listing it for sale on the 350z forum either tonight or tomorrow too. I'm definitely going to get an Evo soon.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
^ Congrats! What Evo are you interested in? VIII, IX, or a X? Best of luck! You will NOT be sorry...
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:43 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
350z was one of the most disappointing test drives of my life
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Being I've had both cars I'll give you one piece of sound advice

Dump that turd and build an Evo
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:15 AM

Yep, Evo all the way.

My good friend has a super clean Z, all bolt-ons while keeping it N/A, etc. It's really fun to drive on DRY days.
Although he loves his car, when I let him drive my X he just misses having AWD+turbo - much like yourself and that Stealth.

Quick Reply: Is it bad that I...? (***Pics***)