Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

What makes Viper's handling so unpredictable that it wants to bite you?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Smile What makes Viper's handling so unpredictable that it wants to bite you?

As every car reviewer and gearhead has been telling you, Dodge Viper is a very scary car. When you try to race it at its limit, the cornering behavior is unpredictable that you can crash at any turns.

Here are two autocross videos that can give you an idea about what I'm talking about:

I have been long perplexed by this question. What's making Viper's handling unpredictable? Is it the coilovers? Suspension design? Or chassis structure?

In fact, if you want to feel more perplexed, just run a quick search on Viper Club of America (VCA) and Viper Owners Association (VOA) forums, and you will find as if everyone is running on all-season tires and nobody care if it's predictable or not.

If we can figure out what's making it unpredictable, I'm hoping maybe we would be able to mod it and turn it into a docile corn snake.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
the second vid wasn't autox. as for the first, thats any rwd car with enough power to break loose the rear wheels, that guy just has a heavy foot. My 350Z was the same way to a lesser degree.

That being said, I've heard the same thing about vipers. but the videos you posted didn't demonstrate what you're talking about.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 02:04 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
I have seen plenty of vipers that could handle auto-x and track duties, but they require skilled drivers to do so. I had a similar experience in my Z06 running SSP in auto-x. It took me two years to master that car. The auto-x video you posted was someone who lacks even basic auto-x skills, so it isn't a good representation of what a viper is capable of doing on a course.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The second video was a Dodge marketing program where they traveled to tracks and took people on joyrides. I rode along in a viper and the handling actually seemed predictable in the right hands.