Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Meet GheyRay: Lower, Wider, Lighter!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I won't be able to even order my stingray until the next allocation in late August and I already am getting mod ideas from you!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Does your dealership have an allocation for exactly what you want? Allocations are released every week (they know what they get Tuesday, they can order Thursday).
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Car still is looking good. Glad your liking it. I was thinking about getting something sportier, but a good deal came up on an F250 so I went with better towing for the time being. Maybe in a few years I can start looking again.

Still reside close to Cobb Planto? Hoping to have some free time to finish up the Evo and then bring it over for a in a month or so for a tune.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Sure am! I'll be back there again this next week to get some post-mods/tune dyno results.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Does your dealership have an allocation for exactly what you want? Allocations are released every week (they know what they get Tuesday, they can order Thursday).
Yup - I'm ordering from Les Stanford in MI because they are one of the few large dealers that will do supplier pricing on Z51's. That being said, I didn't put money down until some point late june/early july and was like number 80 something on their list. There is a tracking thread on corvetteforum (name on there is EvoX2008) and I want to say they were through like the first 60 some orders in the first 2 allocations. They should have allocation to fill mine when the next allocation drops. While dealers do receive allocation communication on a weekly basis, after the first 2 allocations for 2015s, there were no allocations for anyone for 3 weeks. I just missed being able to order in the last allocation drop due to constraints (Z51 + painted roof).
Old Aug 17, 2014, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Very cool! You will love it...and may just have it by the end of September!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Very cool! You will love it...and may just have it by the end of September!
Yup - that would be nice. I'm just hoping I'll have it by the end of Oct. I'm working in SC currently, so I can drive pretty much all year. If it's crappy (freezing) weather here we just don't go to work lol. Much better policy than in PA!

Edit: Wanted to ask, how has paint durability been? You have 7k miles on it already correct? Have you had any problems with super thin Mitsu style paint yet? Did you add paint protection film or anything like that?

Last edited by PSUfan1; Aug 17, 2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

One paint chip so far, a rock came off a truck and bounced off my roof panel. The carbon fiber is ok, but I did have to get a touch-up paint pen from the dealership. I never had a problem with my Mitsu paint either, sold my Evo X at 70k miles and it still looked basically new...I think people online just like complaining about the paint on every car (find me a forum where people don't, it doesn't exist with today's water-based automotive paints). Considering the abuse automotive paints take, they actually hold up surprisingly well. Imagine if your face was continually sand blasted @ 80 MPH; now you know why Harley riders always look so rough & weathered

I did not do any type of paint protection film. I got a clear bra on my Evo IX and decided that will be my first and last experience with that stuff. Yellowing, peeling at the edges, etc. I spent enough on that where I could have just had the front end repainted a few times instead.

Last edited by Kracka; Aug 18, 2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah that's the problem with clear bras - not cheap. I have just under 110,000 miles on my X right now and I've done a lot of touch up work with Dr color chip. For me, it does a good enough job. Unfortunately, my X is gray, and the light colored body panels / primer show through pretty easily before being touched up. My fenders in front of my rear wheels are pretty bad (beyond "touch up" stage (I have mudflaps but didn't put them on right away). Maybe I'll just get them repainted.

In any case, I'd like to avoid that with the vette. I'm hardly a waxer, and my cars almost always have some dirt on them, but damn paint with "holes" in it pisses me off lol. I guess the one advantage of being in the south now is that they don't throw all sorts of snow treatment crap all over the road that remains there for months!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Another cool feature about Corvette suspension is factory adjustable ride height so yesterday I decided to lower mine down as far as it would go! From the factory, they're generally set in about the middle of the range with room to raise or lower about 1/2" in either direction. Not a huge drop, subtle but noticeable. No ill effect on handing or ride quality, and from what others are saying a realignment isn't required since everything generally stays within spec (I plan to have the dealer check it when I'm in for my next oil change though).

Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hows it treating you so far? Still in love with it after the honeymoon? Any major complaints or gripes? Hows your gas mileage?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

It's been treating me really well so far! I've had three things covered under warranty: alignment, sagging headliner, and an air filter replacement/intake cleaning due to factory oil over-fill causing it to purge out the PCV lines from the dry sump tank.

I've had the car for 5 months, 7486 miles, and an overall average of 22 MPG (thank the OnStar phone app for all this real-time data). My best fuel mileage for any stretch has been 36 MPG, which was on the highway with the cruise control set and car in Eco Mode (4-cylinder mode).

I've been on a few roadtrips with it so far with the longest being Dallas to St. Louis to Madison to Chicago then back to Dallas (2300 miles, overall average of 27 MPG including Chicago stop & go traffic) over a long-weekend for my sister's wedding.

My only real complaint would be the lack of interior room, it is definitely cramped (I'm 6'3" and 210 lbs) compared to the C6 interior.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

It's been treating me really well so far! I've had three things covered under warranty: alignment, sagging headliner, and an air filter replacement/intake cleaning due to factory oil over-fill causing it to purge out the PCV lines from the dry sump tank.

I've had the car for 5 months, 7486 miles, and an overall average of 22 MPG (thank the OnStar phone app for all this real-time data). My best fuel mileage for any stretch has been 36 MPG, which was on the highway with the cruise control set and car in Eco Mode (4-cylinder mode).

I've been on a few roadtrips with it so far with the longest being Dallas to St. Louis to Madison to Chicago then back to Dallas (2300 miles, overall average of 27 MPG including Chicago stop & go traffic) over a long-weekend for my sister's wedding.

My only real complaint would be the lack of interior room, it is definitely cramped (I'm 6'3" and 210 lbs) compared to the C6 interior.
Thanks. That's actually a fantastic comparison because I drove from Detroit to Chicago to San Antonio to Castroville in the Evo X and then back last Christmas so I could propose to my fiance in front of her father.

Cruise set exactly at the speed limit yielded 26.6 all said and done. So if on the same trip you're seeing roughly 27 then the two are getting *very* similar highway mileage. Impressive mileage for the Vette.... especially 36.

I'm not so sure I like the idea of an always on 3g updating my car or spying on how I'm driving it. I instantly recall the Farley incident at Ford where he bragged they were recording more than people knew about.

Thanks again for the updates. Nice ride you have there
Old Sep 10, 2014, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

For the trip I had to my cruise consistently set at least 10 MPH above the limit; similar trips in my Evo X yielded around 21-22 MPG. Around town mileage is about the same, but the highway mileage of the Corvette is quite a bit better.

The tin foil hat guys simply pull the OnStar fuse and that disables all types of tracking and connection to the outside world. There are a lot of neat features you'd be missing out on though. Even if you don't renew OnStar after the 6 month trial, you get the OnStar phone app free for 5 years which allows you to check all the vitals (fuel level, oil life %, odometer, MPG, tire pressure, etc.), lock/unlock doors, sound the horn/alarm, send destinations from Bing Maps to the navigation system, plus locate your car on a map (in case you forget where you park or its stolen).
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

For the trip I had to my cruise consistently set at least 10 MPH above the limit; similar trips in my Evo X yielded around 21-22 MPG. Around town mileage is about the same, but the highway mileage of the Corvette is quite a bit better.

The tin foil hat guys simply pull the OnStar fuse and that disables all types of tracking and connection to the outside world. There are a lot of neat features you'd be missing out on though. Even if you don't renew OnStar after the 6 month trial, you get the OnStar phone app free for 5 years which allows you to check all the vitals (fuel level, oil life %, odometer, MPG, tire pressure, etc.), lock/unlock doors, sound the horn/alarm, send destinations from Bing Maps to the navigation system, plus locate your car on a map (in case you forget where you park or its stolen).
True.... but it goes both ways too. They can also *disable* features like Sony did with Linux on the PS3. Basically changing the agreed upon features when the purchase was made. Trusting them to get new features also means your trust them to not to remove anything.

Tomorrow some Senator could decide to ban some kind of in-car technology and now with this link they don't have to force you into a dealer to *disable* something. (Think Evo X TSB where dealers disabled the manual HID level adjustment, I still haven't let them "disable" mine)

You also can't **** off the government by being a protester or a software developer working on privacy enhancing technology (TOR, read about Jacob Appelbaum) or they will simply use OnStar to bug your vehicle and listen in on your conversations. (http://news.cnet.com/Court-to-FBI-No...3-5109435.html)

I wonder if the spying technology is even in the OnStar box... for all we know it's in the engine ECU's black box with a *second* 3G connection just waiting to be activated. Scary stuff.

Did I say you have a nice ride though? I'm still jealous

Quick Reply: Meet GheyRay: Lower, Wider, Lighter!