Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

0-130mph evo or sti?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2004, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Trollski
Like most things, the size of the turbo in the STi is as equally matched to the car, as the evo's. Think about it. The evo is at 19 psi stock. Everyone on this board generally agrees that 23 psi is the most you should mod to before getting turbo upgrade, that allows you about 4 psi increase over stock.
The STi is 14.5 psi stock and can handle around 19 or so, again an increase of about 4 psi.

PS. This is my original post. As you can see, I was just trying to add some accurate info to this thread before the STi and I personnally were attacked. Then
Old Mar 28, 2004, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

crazy... crazy people.

Look, I don't own either, but i drove both. So my opinion on the EVO and STi, should be less biased than everyone else *****ing on this forum.

They're equal cars. The STi barely beats the Evo in few catagories, and the Evo returns the favor. Estentially, these are "rally cars", we shouldn't care too much about 1/4 times and 0-60 mph. Because if we did, we all should've bought a RWD car at the price range... Which is what? 350Z, Supra, Skyline maybe, Lotus.. etc etc?

We should look at the skid pad results, turning mojo and the track times. Anything else, is just a waste of time to talk about.

And a little advice, don't boost your Sti Turbo 4 psi.... Because going from 14 to 19 psi, is a way larger difference than 19 to 23 psi... This is "forced induction", and as I like to call it: an easy way to spend money.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

<Inappropriate Post Deleted. Totally Unnecessary. We don't need flaming on here.>

Last edited by LancerEvoMR; Mar 28, 2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally, the STi is 1-2 mph slower in all slalom tests between the two, maybe .03g's on the skidpad, but brakes faster from 80-0, and faster in all emergency lane change tests. Now keep in mind, it does this while having higher ride height, narrower wheel base, on narrower tires, and a softer ride. Obviously a superior suspension design. Mods exist to change all those things (except wheel base), many offered through Subaru dealerships, so any STi owner can easily bolt on parts to create better numbers.
ok, how about this:

you said the sti is 1-2 mph slower in all slalom tests, obviously implying that the number is BETWEEN the two, and obviously wishing to say that the number is closer to the 1 than the 2.

"maybe .03g's on the skidpad" is another implication on YOUR PART that you expect the skidpad to be lower than .03 difference, and OBVIOUSLY mean it to be lower.

and when i point out your obvious flaws in your statements of numbers, you fire back that you are "basically right?" How is that basic? Is your arithmetic so off that 2.4 is between 1-2? Though the differences are small between what you claimed, the differences are quite a bit more when put stock to stock. 1-2 is much easier to swallow than 2-3 difference in slalom; as is a .92g to the superior .95's over the actual .91 to .95. "MAYBE .03 g's" is a whole different ball game than .04, plain and simple.

and as for the caddy vs. kart, what the hell does that have to do with anything? AS I'VE SAID ALREADY: THE TWO HAD OBVIOUSLY DIFFERENT GOALS IN MIND. what part of that didn't you understand? does the kart have the intentions of caddy engineers in its development? NO. on an off-point, i highly doubt the caddy is a mere 2.4 behind the kart in slalom. superior or not, the design is for different purposes. POOR ANALOGY ON YOUR PART, please try again.

and if the suby's design is so much more advanced, why hasn't it challenged for the hks evo's record? it should be SOOOOOOOOOO much simpler, since it's SOOOOOOOOOO much more advanced, no?

why don't you go ahead and break down the STi's suspension set up and give its history, detailed pros and cons, hell, give us everything you have on BOTH designs.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

in reguards to trollski, guyz take it a lil easier on the guy.

Now, i will say his whole arguement is false with a few minor exceptions. breaking is the EVO's hands down. accel and quarter STI not by much and can be concidered a drivers race. handling EVO, but you are right about one thing reguarding sti handling, it did prove to do better in emergency lane changes per car and driver video magazine. but who cares about emergency lane changes? if ur not driving like a *** that would be rare and these to cars do it much better than almost all other cars on the road so it shouldn;t even be looked at... Trollski you had 2 valid points in you whole argument, please rethink your logic.

an sti running 19psi on the factory turbo and being reliable is a joke, your just kidding yourself with all the detonation and boost creep problems sti's have i'd love to see it last for more than a month. on the other hand 23psi on the mitsu's turbo still turns out to be perfectly reliable and not problamatic.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 04:38 PM

sti vs evo

they are both rally cars! they were not made for a drag strip, as impressive as they are 0-60 and 1/4 mile these times dont mean anything for these cars. the sti has much more common with the wrc car than the evo.

bottom line on which car is better for what they were made to be, just take a look at wrc manufacturers standings........

evo dead last, lucky skoda and hyundai are not competing or they might have not scored any points at all..
Old Mar 28, 2004, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

THE US SPEC STI IS NOT A RALLY CAR, its a dirty cheater with a weak 2.5L.... i mean come on the current wrc evo is complete trash it doesn;t even have a smg tranny, and his hands are off the wheel alot more than he'd like them to be, they should just waited out 1 more year and had the car all ready,not this ****ty attemp to get back into things

Last edited by Evo Spec VIII; Mar 28, 2004 at 04:45 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 04:44 PM

I agree. Its a shame, Mitsu used to be the team to beat with Makkinen behind the wheel, will c what Panizzi can do on the dry tarmac.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 06:20 PM

Now we're way off topic. Back to the thread.
If you have taken your evo to 130+, I was wondering how it handles with that steering rack. My 2 test drives in an evo I was allowed to go up to 80 and it wasn't the most confidence inspiring thing I've ever done. It felt like I had to steer the car down the middle of the lane, after a few minutes I felt a little white knuckled, you know what I mean?
However, my STi at 80 or 90 with cruise control on barely needs one finger on it. At those speeds it seems to squat down and really be glued to the road. 130 is a good speed for the STi because that's about where 5th gear runs out, so acceleration up to there is still decent.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Now we're way off topic. Back to the thread.
My 2 test drives in an evo I was allowed to go up to 80 and it wasn't the most confidence inspiring thing I've ever done. It felt like I had to steer the car down the middle of the lane, after a few minutes I felt a little white knuckled, you know what I mean?
You've got to be kidding? White knucke doing 80? You loose all your credibilty with a silly statement like that. I have been about 110-120 in both the STi and EVO and frankly was very impressed with both. The EVO is little more connected to the road as you seemed to feel everything, but still very stable. The STi was equally stable though it felt a little more isolated. Steering on both was steady and neither wandered much.

The are both great cars and we are lucky to have a choice. Just think back a few years.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 09:48 PM

Easy partner, just wandering how it felt in an evo at 130 since I'm very impressed with the STi. Let me clarify, the evo at freeway speeds seemed to need more steering, which requires constant adjustment, if not two hands. No big deal, but seemed like a different feel.
I really wouldn't want some guy at a car meet driving my car like that, so I usually don't ask the evo guys I meet to let me take their cars up to like 130.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 09:49 PM

damn haters, holy crap

the evo has been out in the market much much longer than the sti for tuners, they have to adjust to the new engine as well as get by the ecu

but once they get by it and really get their hands dirty, ill think that the sti will be just as equal if not better, but thats my opinion

i think they are both equally great cars, just apples vs oranges in taste, or pepsi vs coke
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Troll, are you sure you were driving an Evo at 80? It is the most confident and stable car I have ever driven,and at over 100, it's glued to the road. Maybe you can't drive if you can't hold your car in the lane.

The Evo does need constant steering correction because the sreering is so dam sensitive and responsive like a race car, unlike the cushy numb steering of the Subi, which I have driven. In fact, one of the shootouts at the track, the testers were saying how confident they felt driving the Evo at speed and how nervous the STI felt at the same speeds. Face it, the Evo handles better hands down even though the STI is not far behind and ahead of most other cars on the road. you are trying to make the Evo seem like a primitive go kart versus the STI NASA engineered suspension. Give me a break.

Hey, have you checked out the ****pit video of the 500 hp Evo. If you're not impressed, you are lying to yourself. I have been to the strip a few times and the Evos and STIs are running about the same times depending on the drivers, so this argument is pointless. Just go back to the STI boards and stop trolling over here.

Yoshar, Haters on an Evo board? Why do you post on an Evo forum. Of course you are not going to like what you read. You can keep your detonatiing aluminum 2.5 liter cheater.

Last edited by SinCityEvo; Mar 28, 2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally posted by yoshar
damn haters, holy crap

the evo has been out in the market much much longer than the sti for tuners, they have to adjust to the new engine as well as get by the ecu

but once they get by it and really get their hands dirty, ill think that the sti will be just as equal if not better, but thats my opinion

i think they are both equally great cars, just apples vs oranges in taste, or pepsi vs coke
I agree totally. The STi has just as much potential, if not more because of the displacement advantage, as the EVO. It will just be a matter of time.

This will be great for the entire Suby line as they seem intent on putting a 2.5 litre turbo in most of their cars. Imagine the new Legacy pushing over 300 hp to the wheels and weighing about what the STi weighs.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:19 PM

I can't believe it!

robertrinaustin gave an intelligent, non-biased answer. He gave props to STi without ASSUMING some sort of attack being made against his evo.
Must be a first in this thread. We can all learn from him!

SinCityEvo on the other hand, jumps all over my last post, then, ONCE AGAIN puts his foot in mouth and actually confirms what I wrote. Then follows that up by saying the STi is numb and cushy, but just behind the evo and better than most.
Moderators should ban those who make themselves look stupid more than once in any given thread.

Last edited by Trollski; Mar 29, 2004 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 0-130mph evo or sti?