Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Calling owners of Evo's & STI's

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
evo responds better to mods in the sense that the same power levels on both cars will be cheaper (and i would argue more reliable) on the evo than the STI. neither will make either car cheaper to maintain, the evo just seems to make more power for less $

to put it in perspective:
My evo 9: intake, exhaust, o2 housing (not a dump those are silly on a daily), fuel pump, intercooler piping, boost controller, tune
making 340whp / 320wtq

old sti (2006):
header and up-pipe, intake, front-mount intercooler, bypass valve, lightweight pulley, inlet hose, phenolic spacers, fuel pump, 850cc injectors, tgv delete, exhaust, boost controller, tune
making 370whp / 350wtq

money invested into the STI (was purchased with all those mods) was well over twice as much as what went into the evo, probably closer to 3x
The following users liked this post:
aaronhinch (Apr 18, 2017)
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iLLevo_
Suggestion... watch the "best motoring" dvds on YouTube.. they compare both the sti and the evo every year.. you will find that the evo is better
Found it! Will watch later, thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
evo responds better to mods in the sense that the same power levels on both cars will be cheaper (and i would argue more reliable) on the evo than the STI. neither will make either car cheaper to maintain, the evo just seems to make more power for less $

to put it in perspective:
My evo 9: intake, exhaust, o2 housing (not a dump those are silly on a daily), fuel pump, intercooler piping, boost controller, tune
making 340whp / 320wtq

old sti (2006):
header and up-pipe, intake, front-mount intercooler, bypass valve, lightweight pulley, inlet hose, phenolic spacers, fuel pump, 850cc injectors, tgv delete, exhaust, boost controller, tune
making 370whp / 350wtq

money invested into the STI (was purchased with all those mods) was well over twice as much as what went into the evo, probably closer to 3x
Ah I see. Yes, I've heard this about the Evo's, and it's one of the reasons why I prefer the Evo over the STI. I misunderstood your previous comment about cheaper with modifications.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't mean to bumb an old thread but I'd like to chime in.

2013-2015 I owned a 2010 MR that was tuned by BakaUnchi. THe car put down about 320/340 on the MD. I loved the car. Excellent power delivery and never had issues. I had plans to upgrade the Cams, suspension and wheels. Had all the parts except the cams. Got rid of it and bought a cheap hoopty jk.

I got a 2014 SI to save gas because I started driving all over SoCal.

In 2016 I picked up a 2011 GSR as my DD but I could not bear with the freeway cruising. I drove me crazy. Ended up getting my SI back from the dealer.

2017-Present. I now own a 2015 STI. I lowered the car and put wider wheels. Slapped on an exhaust for the overrated inefficient rumble.

Few things I would like to point out. Evo great for power and STI great for DD and little power. STI has a trunk and sixth gear. Evo doesn't have a fifth gear making freeway cruising unbearable. STI sucks for power. An intake, TMIC, DP, exhaust and tune only gets you about high 290WHP. With an Evo intake, FMIC, exhaust, DP, and tune can get you mid 300WHP. With the unequal length headers that gives the unique rumble makes the power delivery slow. Since the cylinders have unequal travel robbing power. Equal Length Headers can fix the issues but a good set of headers cost about $700.00.

If I could go back in time, I would of kept my Evo X MR. I had everything done to it (ETS, Bilstein, Volk, Swift, Whiteline, and the perfect tune). But not having a traditional manual transmission really bugged me.

I do want to modify my STI but the ancient EJ257 motor and ring lands scare me. I want to upgrade my TMIC, intake, DP and complete an open source tune from 5150 Racing (my old tuner) but paranoid really bugs me.