Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Honda Accord v6 6spd manual - Last American Muscle car!?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. I had a kid and sold everything after a year. I am a mechanic and have buddies who own top shops so I never pushed past 10 psi. I love my ralliart more than any car I've ever owned though (have had 26 cars and I'm 28). I don't like the yaw control evos have so I'm building the ralliart. I do like the vw dsg better than the sst (don't kick me for saying it).

All in all, Hondas are the most reliable car on the road.
Old May 10, 2017, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
I had a 350Z for a while, I followed all the turbo builds cause it was something I considered doing. the only ones that lasted were ones that ran low boost around 350-380whp.

you can't deny that you're in the extreme minority that didn't have any issues with a turbo VQ build... what happened after a year?
Agreed. I followed 350Z/370Z turbo builds for quite a while as well. What I learned is that if you want it to work, a moderate supercharger is the most you can reasonably do.

I used to wanted a 370Z Nismo, turbocharged. Then I realize it's a stupid idea to achieve nothing other than destroying my bank account and leaving myself with no car.
Old May 11, 2017, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
What's the fastest, reasonably-priced, car that uses 87 octane?

This could be a 14 second car. The new v6 Camaro is a 13.7 quarter-mile car.

What else is there?
Old May 11, 2017, 02:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
whats your definition of reasonably priced? I got my '14 Mustang GT for 28k brand new and I ran a 12.5 with it bone stock
Old May 11, 2017, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

whats your definition of reasonably priced? I got my '14 Mustang GT for 28k brand new and I ran a 12.5 with it bone stock
I want something running on 87 octane that gets good gas mileage and is cheap to upkeep. Basically, fast but without any bother? Invisibility to the public is a plus.
Old May 11, 2017, 03:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by moparfan
I want something running on 87 octane that gets good gas mileage and is cheap to upkeep. Basically, fast but without any bother? Invisibility to the public is a plus.
owners manual spec's 87 octane. I ran 92 still, so maybe I got a couple more hp... but its still a solid 12 sec car on 87
Old May 11, 2017, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

owners manual spec's 87 octane. I ran 92 still, so maybe I got a couple more hp... but its still a solid 12 sec car on 87
Is 87 octane recommended or required?
Old May 11, 2017, 08:22 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Optional.
Old May 11, 2017, 08:23 PM
EvoM Guru

I don't remember the exact wording but it was designed to run on 87
Old May 24, 2017, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

What's the fastest, reasonably-priced, car that uses 87 octane?

This could be a 14 second car. The new v6 Camaro is a 13.7 quarter-mile car.

What else is there?
There are some cars close to that, but none of them is very fast.

For Panther/Crown Vic platform, there is Mercury Marauder:

Then there is the Charger/Charger Pursuit:

There is also the Taurus/Taurus Police Interceptor:

There are also Cadillacs and Pontiacs:

At last there is of course Lexus. Lexus may not be all that cool and economic, but the very low repair cost would certainly more than offset the fuel cost.

Honda Accord v6 6spd manual - Last American Muscle car!?-asrkmnk.jpg

The car you are looking for is essentially a jalop's road trip car (low total cost to own) without doing the road trip. I have here basically listed all the common road trip cars for jalops sans Volvo V70R (might not be reliable) and pimped M-B Sprinter/Metris (not fast).
Old Jul 31, 2017, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

New 2017 Accord V6 manual coupe seem to be about $27,000. Maybe slightly lower in my area with 0.9% financing for 60 months available.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

New 2017 Accord V6 manual coupe seem to be about $27,000. Maybe slightly lower in my area with 0.9% financing for 60 months available.
There is the also the Cadillac ATS now, which is right-wheel drive unlike the Accord, and they depreciate fast, so with a good offer you can even get a CPO one.

Both the 4-cylinder 2.0T and V6 twin-turbo ones have manual transmission option, which is hurrah for enthusiasts like us. People hate the ugly instrument cluster, but everything else is fine. Cadillac enthusiasts, however, actually like that instrument cluster because it's simple and it works, unlike the digital one from CTS that, although pretty, breaks down like typical overengineered GM products every now and then.

Old Aug 10, 2017, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lightsaber
There is the also the Cadillac ATS now, which is right-wheel drive unlike the Accord, and they depreciate fast, so with a good offer you can even get a CPO one.

Both the 4-cylinder 2.0T and V6 twin-turbo ones have manual transmission option, which is hurrah for enthusiasts like us. People hate the ugly instrument cluster, but everything else is fine. Cadillac enthusiasts, however, actually like that instrument cluster because it's simple and it works, unlike the digital one from CTS that, although pretty, breaks down like typical overengineered GM products every now and then.

I like those a lot and considered their sister, the Camaro. For my daily, I'd prefer a normally aspirated motor. The secondary car can be forced induction.

Last edited by moparfan; Aug 18, 2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

August 18th update:

Subaru seems to be making the new WRX slower somehow...
On the "competition" mentioned in the article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...h-model-review

Finally broke in the Accord V6. It is a completely normally car until you floor it. It likes to rev, sohc with an intake-only vtec notwithstanding. Not a sports car obviously but entertaining with a jekyll-and-hyde personality based on throttle position. My overall gas mileage seems like it's going to be ~27mpg.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 08:34 PM
EvoM Guru

August 18th update:

Subaru seems to be making the new WRX slower somehow...
On the "competition" mentioned in the article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...h-model-review

Finally broke in the Accord V6. It is a completely normally car until you floor it. It likes to rev, sohc with an intake-only vtec notwithstanding. Not a sports car obviously but entertaining with a jekyll-and-hyde personality based on throttle position. My overall gas mileage seems like it's going to be ~27mpg.
he lost me at "laggy turbocharged engine" has this guy even driven a new WRX? or is he just trying to hit his minimum word count and thinking, oh its a turbo engine, people say laggy about turbo engines, I'll say the wrx is laggy...

Quick Reply: Honda Accord v6 6spd manual - Last American Muscle car!?