Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New Evo X Owners Story

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
New Evo X Owners Story

First of all, this is going to be a very lengthy but entertaining thread describing my Evo X search experience along with a one month review of owning the vehicle. By all means, feel free to scroll to the bottom as there will be a small summary for those who may not have the time to fully read. I think it’s a good read though.

Here’s a little background, I was never always a fan of the X. I’ve always preferred the style of the 8/9, maybe because the last car I drove was a 04 Lancer Ralliart that I’ve had for four years. Aesthetically similar. I remember telling myself an 8/9 would be my dream car. Huge fan of the NFS series growing up and would always be my go to car. Favorite was original Most wanted Evo 8 I believe. Come 2008, with the release of the X, I wouldn’t say I hated it but in my mind, I was already fixed on the older models. I was a typical fanboy (sadly, with no experience driving the two saying the 8/9 are better) As time went on though the more pictures I’d see or the few times I’d see it on the street, the X began to slowly grow on me, like that girl in school that would try so hard to get your attention but you wouldn’t even acknowledge her until eventually you started talking to her more and getting to know them. (Perfect example right) I fell in love with the X to the point where it even overshadowed the 8/9. I still have plenty of love for the 8/9 and would one day still like to own one. (Ive learned respect both because evo fam). After quite a bit of thought and searching these forums for a couple years (X vs 8/9 comparisons) realistically I knew a X would be more attainable in much better conditions.

So late last year, I was on the search for a decent looking one. I automatically knew it had to be blue and had to have Recaro seats. So goodbye 15 X. Wanted a MT car so had to be a GSR. Sorry MR. i knew I wanted to have the display head unit. So hello 14 X. To top it off, it had to be stock. (You’re probably saying “you’re never gonna find that” or “good luck with that.) Which thinking of it now, that was a very broad selection. Especially since people knew the evo was no longer going to be produced. People were going and getting 14s because of the recados. So finding one was gonna be near impossible. I saw one on Craigslist around October /November. 14 Cosmic Blue X with 55k. Fully loaded leather interior. RF. Sun roof. Stock as well. The whole nine yards. Being that my favorite color is a dark blue. I thought, this was it. I remember so f the lost late one night and I couldn’t sleep because of the excitement and fear of th car being sold already. I contacted the guy and I took a trip up north five hours to go see it and test drove it. Of course, it would be too good to be true as any deal that was made fell through. On the search again. It was close to being the new year around December so I figured maybe there would be deals at the local dealerships that had some. For the the most part, I wanted to stay away from the dealerships but it wouldn’t hurt to go see as I saw another evo x. 14 WW. Conditions did not meet the price tag. Interior had cigarette burns. dings and scratches all around the car. Car had a lot of miles too so the price didn’t make sense. (didn’t expect it to, it’s a dealership also because Evo). Also wasn’t stock. I saw a 12 Octane blue X on that same lot and was interested but I was a sucker for the head unit display on the 14. Also read that 2012s had some kind of problem too so I looked away. It’s now 2018, I had decided to look again after taking a little break. Despite seeing multiple posts on CL and online, I actually started thinking maybe it wasn’t meant to be with all these searches, coming and going. There was another one that popped up in February. 14 WW. 16k Not stock. For a decent price. 28k. Had ams intercooler and uicp. And a Cobb intake. At this point. I was desperate and didn’t care if it was stock or not anymore. Went one Wednesday to check it out. Was supposed to go back Friday. Thursday I get an email saying the car was just sold.

I was done searching. No I wasn’t. You’d be surprised how much you’d endure for something you really want. Just last month I see a CL post. A person selling a 14 WW X with only 6k mi! COMPLETELY STOCK. So I contacted the person, who is a member of this forum, will not disclose names just for privacy. I asked for more information pertaining the car and he happily answered every one of my questions. Turns out he had multiple offers but he was super cool enough to keep his options open and gave me time to decide whether or not I wanted to move on with the purchase of the car. I just want to say thanks again to the person not only for making the trip up twice to where I lived, once to have my mechanic inspect it and two for the actual purchase of the car. But also because he made the process so easy and shared his experience with the car and for giving me advice about it as well. Very grateful for him. Car is in beautiful mint condition. Garage kept and maintanace everything on time. On March 16 I was the owner of the car of my dreams. One of the best feelings ever.

Since then, it has now been one month so I’d like to share my thoughts during the time I’ve had the car. First thing I wanted to get right was finding the “optimal” driving position where I felt the most comfortable whether it was having room to use the clutch or how much I had to extend my arm to switch gears. Up until two weeks ago, i finally found it, that it is, until I took my car to get washed and the person ruined that for me when he adjusted the seats... it took me a bit to find the position again. Lesson learned. i bought a foam canon so I’ll be doing my own washing from now on. I usually switched back and forth. Not anymore. Next, I will say after reading multiple threads for “how/when to shift properly” I have been doing much much better compared to when I first started. I even drove around for hours trying to get accustomed to the car before going back home the day I got it. I’m aware that there are things that could help ie: krackas MAP bundle. (Yes search bar helps haha) but I would like to get to a point where I can shift the best I can in stock form. The spoiler going across the middle of the rear window can be a hassle but I’ve learned to look past it. (No pun intended). Brakes squeal sooo bad after washing the car... easy fix is going down an empty street speed up and hit the brakes hard. Not to the point where the wheels lock but enough for them to catch and slow down the car faster than normal. I actually really like the plain interior. It’s simple and easy to navigate. I don’t have RF Stereo unit but the sound of the stock unit is good for me. There is some Interior rattling but I only notice that in the early am when it’s a bit chilly as it goes away when the sun heats up the interior. “It’s not an evo without the seats” is what I read on one of the posts here. the seats can be a topic of conversation. Comfy vs no comfy. One thing I can agree on with is that once you get used to the recaros you can’t sit in another car with regular seats without wishing they held you the same way. Good example of this, last weeks went out for a spirited drive for my birthday before the fam was getting ready for brunch. Went to little Tujunga canyon as it’s very close. I wouldn’t do anything to endanger the safety of others so I’m thankful the roads were empty. Beside the bikers behind me who I pulled over to let them go by. when you take the turns the seats hug you in place and you feel secure. They spoil you so bad. I find them to be comfortable and don’t get any stiff back or legs after long periods of driving. Now, to talk about the power. I came from an NA 2004 ralliart. Huge huge difference. when I felt the turbo lag and the boost itself come on for the first time couldn’t stop myself from giggling/laughing. Like a kid with a new toy. I’ve always read that the Evo handles extremely well. And I’m happy I was able to experience how good it is first hand when I went for a drive last week. The X feels like it’s clawing it’s way through the turns and it even encourages you to go even more. Self controll is very crucial with a car like this. I have that. Haha. I lastly want to add that this is my DD. After reading so many posts about the pros and cons. And comparisons to stis or even the RS. I know I made the right choice. The bumps and suspension is something that I actually like for some reason. I think it makes me feel connected to the road I’m on (not a spiritual guru) I hope I’m not the only one that feels this way. High way drone is easily fixed with the music on. Not a problem at all. It does get loud but I’m the only one in my car always so it’s ok. One thing I need to work on is parallel parking. Haven’t really done it so I’m still not quite sure with the size of the car. Will get it down though. Gas mileage is reasonable. ~21-22mpg . I’m getting just about the same mpg as I was in my Ralliart. I think that’s alright. MPG might be good because I don’t really utilize the turbo all that much. “Don’t use the turbo? Why get an evo, you should have kept your ralliart.” Haha. i don’t feel the need to use it driving around town. Freeway on ramps. Maybe. It’s a great feeling knowing the power is readily available by just depressing the gas pedal though.

If you’ve made it this far. Thank you for reading. Also, thank you for all the information that has been added to this forum allowing me to keep learning something new about my new car. Greatly appreciated. Part of the reason I chose an Evo or to simply stay in the Mitsubishi community in general is because of how great this community is. The feedback provided is so invaluable. Also, it’s always awesome driving and seeing another evo owner on the street and getting a friendly wave or a nod. That will never get old.

TL;DR: After failed attempts and being patient I found the perfect 14 Evo X.WW 6k mi. Completely stock. Couldn’t be any more happy when driving. Can’t help but smile when looking at it.

Old Apr 17, 2018, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Good read and thanks for sharing. Congrats on the X.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I miss my evo...