Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

1800hp Supra on Drag week

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
1800hp Supra on Drag week

Get some popcorn and enjoy the recap of Drag week. For those of you that aren't familiar with this event here is an overview. You basically race at a drag strip, then drive your race car to the next track and race again . Its a week of racing and covers 1000 miles. Towing whatever supplies you can ( can't bring a spare engine) This year was pretty difficult with weather and climbing mountains.

Last edited by Abacus; Oct 26, 2018 at 11:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (Oct 27, 2018)
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Good Vid & story there Tim

Thanks, Joe
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Awesome stuff!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
A bunch of us at work are thinking about doing this next year because it will be rather close. Debating on throwing a hitch on the Evo and doing it. My car is set up for Autox/road course but it looks like it would be a ton of fun.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 02:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
now I wanna see one of them 7 second FWD civic's do drag week and really blow their minds... although I have my doubts if one of them is capable of handling the road trip portion...
Old Oct 30, 2018, 02:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
now I wanna see one of them 7 second FWD civic's do drag week and really blow their minds... although I have my doubts if one of them is capable of handling the road trip portion...
The lifespan of those engines is measured in passes, generally in a single digit number of passes at that lol. And that's if they don't have a catastrophic failure. Let alone the drivetrain. I highly doubt they would make it. The supra did well, was a very cool video to watch.

I'm not sure if it has a trans cooler because its drag car, but a trans cooler would've probably made it so they would've never needed to stop for heat issues with the trans.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Oct 30, 2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 04:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The lifespan of those engines is measured in passes, generally in a single digit number of passes at that lol. And that's if they don't have a catastrophic failure. Let alone the drivetrain. I highly doubt they would make it. The supra did well, was a very cool video to watch.

I'm not sure if it has a trans cooler because its drag car, but a trans cooler would've probably made it so they would've never needed to stop for heat issues with the trans.
yeah thats what I figured... I think a 9 second honda can prolly survive that, but a 7 second car is too much on the edge...

do you know the tire rules in drag week? it looks like they had the same tire/wheel package on the street as they did on the strip... or are they able to change from a street set to a race set?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 09:14 PM
EvoM Guru

I have no idea on tires.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 08:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Most of the faster cars were dealing with overheating of some sort. It was a hill climb event also lol.

The car did have a trans cooler but has a high stall converter so thats going to heat the fluid . Going up the mountain pulling a small trailer added insult to injury. For being the cars first outing in that event and finishing 2nd place in its class it did well. It also did it with a sealed engine and was the fastest import at Drag week . Ever.

Next years Drag week route won't involve mountains so it will be easier for everyone.

Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, high stall converters aren't super mountain road cruising friendly.

How hot did the trans get?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:30 PM
EvoM Guru

I have no idea on tires.
googled it...
•All tire rules apply only on the drag strip and not for the street drive.
source: page 5
https://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/...ULES-FINAL.pdf

based on that, I think a 8 second honda can do it
Old Nov 1, 2018, 04:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, high stall converters aren't super mountain road cruising friendly.

How hot did the trans get?
Even with the Roadkill "remove the hood mod" They watched the coolant temp go to 230* and the trans temp to 250* It was hard to keep the laptop open watching it cook.

They stopped along with the other competitors to cool the trans down with a portable trans cooler / fluid exchanger.

warmmilk - Wheels/tires were changed at the events. They used the finest Hankooks radials to deal with the rain.

Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Abacus
Even with the Roadkill "remove the hood mod" They watched the coolant temp go to 230* and the trans temp to 250* It was hard to keep the laptop open watching it cook.

They stopped along with the other competitors to cool the trans down with a portable trans cooler / fluid exchanger.

warmmilk - Wheels/tires were changed at the events. They used the finest Hankooks radials to deal with the rain.
That's definitely the upper limit of keeping it together.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Between the mountains and weather this year everyone definitely had their hands full on the drive between tracks.
Pic below of Tom Bailey's 6 second Camaro driving through the huge storm on day 1. Also worth checking out if you have the time is the Crampton/Lindberg '57 Chevy they brought. Basically a funny car that they did voodoo magic on to disable the blower and allow them to drive on the street between tracks.

Old Nov 2, 2018, 08:57 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
yeah thats what I figured... I think a 9 second honda can prolly survive that, but a 7 second car is too much on the edge...

do you know the tire rules in drag week? it looks like they had the same tire/wheel package on the street as they did on the strip... or are they able to change from a street set to a race set?
We had a 600whp Civic that got 32mpg and was daily driven.
Definitely didn't run 7s though. LOL