Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Audi ripoff Mustang GT500

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 04:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

so what do y'all think of the GT500? over 700hp, cross plane crank, DCT Tremec transmission, next gen magnaride (whatever next gen means), most advanced aero they've ever offered (better than the Ford GT?), front end blatantly ripped off an Audi...

Old Jan 15, 2019, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I was think Hyundai Veloster front end, but it is closer to the Audi. I think it's really lame a supercharger only increased the power to 700hp from the NA 526hp.

Old Jan 15, 2019, 05:40 PM
EvoM Guru

well its "over" 700 hp... and +200 hp seams to be the going rate for supercharged american cars... stingray vette and z06 is a 200hp difference, same with camaro, challenger gains about 230... this car also rev's lower than the voodoo engine.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I don't see much Audi in it. And aerodynamics being as important as they are for performance cars, lots of cars look the same now. That said, it looks pretty good IMO.
It should challenge the ZL1 nicely. I love what Ford did with the Shelbys. The GT350 was punching way above its weight with the "little" 5.2L, taking on Camaros with bigger, supercharged engines. Ford didn't leave much power on the table when they made it N/A, so I hope with the addition of a supercharger, the GT500 smacks it out of the park. The lack of a clutch pedal is disappointing, but the power figure is probably testing the limits of streetable clutches and existing manual transmission options that are suitable for OEMs. It will be extremely fast, hopefully well into the realm of the 911 GT2/GT3 offerings and base-model Ferraris.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk

This is actually from the comment section of a Jalopnik article full of GT500 photos: The 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Will Slay Hellcats And Camaros With At Least 700 HP

Jalopnik made another photo article about the car today: Twelve Badass Details On the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

I think the car will sell relatively well, both in North America and overseas. The aero looks like it might be compliant to the EU pedestrian safety regulation. The Mustang has wide appeal to enthusiasts and new buyers alike, and a top trim like the Shelby GT500 could convince numerous collectors, as well as people who are just looking to buy an expensive car (veblen good).

As a hardcore enthusiast myself, I refuse to spend money on a car without three pedals. However, in comparison, the Voodoo / Coyote / Aluminator-series is arguably a supreme engine in the V8 universe: high rev, reliable, affordable, with modern technology in it. Its ability to deliver orgasms even surpasses the Mercury boat engine. Henceforth, a complete Mustang drivetrain or its derivatives (Modular V8 + Tremec 6MT + rear diff) are the plug-and-play turnkey solution for FR drivetrain swap (E89 Z4, RX-7, Miata, Nismo Z, Evo X, Maserati GT, Vanquish, R34 GTS/GTT, old Challenger/GTO, etc, etc). Now we have a really cute hood vent from GT500 that you can buy and put in on your Modular V8-swapped hotrod.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RS200
I don't see much Audi in it. And aerodynamics being as important as they are for performance cars, lots of cars look the same now. That said, it looks pretty good IMO.
It should challenge the ZL1 nicely. I love what Ford did with the Shelbys. The GT350 was punching way above its weight with the "little" 5.2L, taking on Camaros with bigger, supercharged engines. Ford didn't leave much power on the table when they made it N/A, so I hope with the addition of a supercharger, the GT500 smacks it out of the park. The lack of a clutch pedal is disappointing, but the power figure is probably testing the limits of streetable clutches and existing manual transmission options that are suitable for OEMs. It will be extremely fast, hopefully well into the realm of the 911 GT2/GT3 offerings and base-model Ferraris.
I don't understand how you can look at the 2 pics in the OP and not see the similarities. take off the badge and rearrange the headlight guts and you can put that front end on any audi and no one will bat an eye. just to be clear, I'm not talking about the whole front, strictly the front end. the grill shape, the lower side intakes, that vertical line they added on the 2 sides... I mean you don't even need to squint... if you can't rotate the car in your head, google a pic directly from the front.

as far as aero being important, there's literally millions of ways to skin that particular cat...

Originally Posted by Lightsaber

This is actually from the comment section of a Jalopnik article full of GT500 photos: The 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Will Slay Hellcats And Camaros With At Least 700 HP

Jalopnik made another photo article about the car today: Twelve Badass Details On the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

I think the car will sell relatively well, both in North America and overseas. The aero looks like it might be compliant to the EU pedestrian safety regulation. The Mustang has wide appeal to enthusiasts and new buyers alike, and a top trim like the Shelby GT500 could convince numerous collectors, as well as people who are just looking to buy an expensive car (veblen good).

As a hardcore enthusiast myself, I refuse to spend money on a car without three pedals. However, in comparison, the Voodoo / Coyote / Aluminator-series is arguably a supreme engine in the V8 universe: high rev, reliable, affordable, with modern technology in it. Its ability to deliver orgasms even surpasses the Mercury boat engine. Henceforth, a complete Mustang drivetrain or its derivatives (Modular V8 + Tremec 6MT + rear diff) are the plug-and-play turnkey solution for FR drivetrain swap (E89 Z4, RX-7, Miata, Nismo Z, Evo X, Maserati GT, Vanquish, R34 GTS/GTT, old Challenger/GTO, etc, etc). Now we have a really cute hood vent from GT500 that you can buy and put in on your Modular V8-swapped hotrod.
the body color bar really helps separate it, but all the shapes are still there. though you do have to squint a bit to see it with the body color bar.

I'm glad it doesn't have a flat plane crank, I think it sounds like sh*t in large displacement form. small displacement flat plane, yes please, eargasm all day. but this... I hate it so much I think everyone that says they like it is lying and is just saying they like it cause thats what you're supposed to say about flat plane crank engines cause thats what Ferrari engines (but small displacement) are and they sound awesome. And yes I've heard one in real life, from inside the car for a 20 minute lapping session and outside when the guy ripped down the straight.

the issues with this engine for swaps is that its really wide, most cars won't be able to fit it between the shock/strut towers.

about the transmission, my mostly unfounded concern is its Tremec's first DCT. I say mostly unfounded because Tremec has a long track record of building great transmissions, but then again this is a new technology for them. On the other hand, maybe they took so long to bring one to market because they took that time to make sure its its the pdk equivalent for american cars? its prolly the latter, but there's a pessimistic voice in me thinking about the former.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
the issues with this engine for swaps is that its really wide, most cars won't be able to fit it between the shock/strut towers.
Could indeed be a tight fit actually, and Ford's manual doesn't seem to specify external measurements. Some cars with narrow engine space between struts could have a hard time. I saw this E89 adapting a V8 and the engine only barely fits.

Source: https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=17780
Old Jan 17, 2019, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The first car I saw with a big grill with a bar in the center was the Evo X.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 03:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
The first car I saw with a big grill with a bar in the center was the Evo X.
This lol.

Also, a lot of modern cars are following that design trend. Likely for aero + pedestrian impact requirements for certain markets.

I think it looks awesome. I don't think it's an Audi rip off. Very different except for the general shape of the main opening.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 06:22 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
A ton of newer cars has this front end. They all have the same features. They have to meet the same standards, which seem to be fairly specific, seeing how they all look alike, now.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 08:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
A ton of newer cars has this front end. They all have the same features. They have to meet the same standards, which seem to be fairly specific, seeing how they all look alike, now.
Yeah. It's clearly what works for whatever crash standard they're having to meet (I'm pretty sure its the pedestrian impact one), and also trying to make the aero still decent.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 09:11 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Observing any professional motorsport where there are tons of regulations, and the cars look pretty much the same. Its just what tends to happen when everyone is min-maxing for the same rules. The more regulations the more homogeneous.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi version will come with a German price tag. 😄