Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Adios

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Is there any difficulty wearing a helmet with those new forward tilting headrests?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by revhappy
Is there any difficulty wearing a helmet with those new forward tilting headrests?
Its not fun but it works. A good seat is next on my list.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 05:20 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I only did it a couple times. You have to recline the seat enough to fit the helmet which left space under my back that I didn't like.
​​​​​​After my track days, my left leg, actually my entire side, would be killing me from holding myself into the seat with the dead pedal. I've been tracking for the last 8 years with a race seat, so I was out of shape lol
I put a race seat in my car right away. The stock seats suck for helmets
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I only did it a couple times. You have to recline the seat enough to fit the helmet which left space under my back that I didn't like.
​​​​​​After my track days, my left leg, actually my entire side, would be killing me from holding myself into the seat with the dead pedal. I've been tracking for the last 8 years with a race seat, so I was out of shape lol
I put a race seat in my car right away. The stock seats suck for helmets
Yeah, apparently the DOT put new regulations to require forward tilting headrests (or active ones on more expensive cars). Toyota's are the worst. Had to return a Camry rental car within 24 hours since it was killing my neck! I like to sit more upright so its a huge problem.

Interesting the CTR's and GR Corolla's seats don't have those ridiculous headrests. Not sure how they got around those regulations.

Smart move with the racing seats!
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:15 PM
kaj

Yeah, apparently the DOT put new regulations to require forward tilting headrests (or active ones on more expensive cars). Toyota's are the worst. Had to return a Camry rental car within 24 hours since it was killing my neck! I like to sit more upright so its a huge problem.

Interesting the CTR's and GR Corolla's seats don't have those ridiculous headrests. Not sure how they got around those regulations.

Smart move with the racing seats!
Maybe they are accounting for the people that recline the seat into the back of the car and drive that way 🤣
Old Sep 15, 2023, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Maybe they are accounting for the people that recline the seat into the back of the car and drive that way 🤣
Actually, I saw a graph posted somewhere showed that 16% have problems with the forward tilting headrests. Presumably, the other 84% recline back to the backseat!

Its got to be much worse with a helmet. That being said, Toyota seems to have gone way overboard with the tilt in some of their newer models.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 03:03 PM
kaj

Actually, I saw a graph posted somewhere showed that 16% have problems with the forward tilting headrests. Presumably, the other 84% recline back to the backseat!

Its got to be much worse with a helmet. That being said, Toyota seems to have gone way overboard with the tilt in some of their newer models.
Absolutely. Impossible to wear a helmet with the seat properly positioned.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 12:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
are the headrests removable? can you pull them out and flip them around? back when I had a 350Z I used to do that when I took it autox'ing and drag racing to fit with a helmet
Old Sep 16, 2023, 12:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 384 Likes on 329 Posts
ugh must be a bmw thing. i autox'd a 335 last week and had that same stupid issue with the helmet
Old Sep 16, 2023, 09:14 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by WarmMilk
are the headrests removable? can you pull them out and flip them around? back when I had a 350Z I used to do that when I took it autox'ing and drag racing to fit with a helmet
They are not. One-piece, race-inspired seat.

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
ugh must be a bmw thing. i autox'd a 335 last week and had that same stupid issue with the helmet
It sucks. Having fake holes for the harness doesn't help the situation. But, honestly, if it wasn't for the headrest issue I probably would have held out and driven with the stock seat a bit longer. It is so uncomfortable with the helmet on. In fact, I'm kind of used to sitting a bit more on the upright side, so I seem to even remember it being a little intrusive without a helmet on.
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Sep 16, 2023)
Old Sep 16, 2023, 09:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 384 Likes on 329 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
It sucks. Having fake holes for the harness doesn't help the situation. But, honestly, if it wasn't for the headrest issue I probably would have held out and driven with the stock seat a bit longer. It is so uncomfortable with the helmet on. In fact, I'm kind of used to sitting a bit more on the upright side, so I seem to even remember it being a little intrusive without a helmet on.
I believe you man. I almost walked away codriving this car. I use a torso strap so I had to be one with the seatback yet get enough distance from the headrest
kaj (Sep 16, 2023)
Old Sep 16, 2023, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WarmMilk
I've seen videos of people removing other cars' headrests, putting them in a vice (with protection), and bending the support posts until they were straight.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 09:04 AM
kaj

Today I ran passenger. Tried to take nap on the way to the track. Not happening when your head is floating 6 in above the seat back, because of these stupid head rests lol
Old Sep 18, 2023, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Today I ran passenger. Tried to take nap on the way to the track. Not happening when your head is floating 6 in above the seat back, because of these stupid head rests lol
Drove my wife's new Acura Integra (not the Type S) yesterday and was hating the headrest (though not nearly as bad as the Camry rental car). I'd take the Type R over the Integra Type S for the seats and headrests alone. Couldn't imagine wearing a helmet with those headrests.
kaj (Sep 18, 2023)
Old Sep 18, 2023, 05:28 PM
kaj

Drove my wife's new Acura Integra (not the Type S) yesterday and was hating the headrest (though not nearly as bad as the Camry rental car). I'd take the Type R over the Integra Type S for the seats and headrests alone. Couldn't imagine wearing a helmet with those headrests.
They pretty much fold your neck in half.

Quick Reply: Adios