Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

evo vs supra?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the evo is the underdawg and thats why probably its so special.

like he said that supras and skylines are a class of their own..cuz man...those are monsters
Old May 8, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

I always wanted a supra. They look so sexy. haha
Old May 8, 2004, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

The evo should never be able to outperform the supra anyway. The fact that it has two more cylinders and a cast iron block should let alone be a reason that it's gonna be more powerful in the long run.
Old May 8, 2004, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by moviemadness
The fact that it has two more cylinders and a cast iron block .
evo is also cast iron
Old May 8, 2004, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Am I the only one who thinks Supras are overrated?

Don't get me wrong, the Supra is a wonderful car in it's own right. However, the only thing the car is really good for is straight-line speed. The car is too heavy to be a formidable challenger to the Evo in terms of handling.

Sorry to say, but I'd gladly take an Evo over a Supra anyday. I don't care how fast the Supra is on the highway, because I prefer the combination of handling and speed, all in one package. Before you mention the Castrol Supra, keep in mind that it is a race car that has nothing in common with the regular Supra (motor is a 3S-GTE).

Also, another thing to note is that when I had my Evo, it got way way way more attention than any Supra. I guess Supras are a dime a dozen here, whereas I am lucky to see at least one Evo or STi a month.

So in summary:

It's fat and heavy.

It can be made to go very very fast. Whoopee!

And the Castrol Supra isn't the car that the average schmuck is going to go down to Toyota of Reality and buy, now is it?
Old May 8, 2004, 09:44 PM
e8
Evolving Member

The evo should never be able to outperform the supra anyway. The fact that it has two more cylinders and a cast iron block should let alone be a reason that it's gonna be more powerful in the long run.

I think you're another "ricer". Stick with an integra or civic.

If done right, supras can be made to handle. As well as an Evo? Maybe.
Old May 8, 2004, 09:47 PM
Account Disabled

I never see supra's at the track, not the 1/4 mile. I do see a evo or 2 everytime I do a lapping day. Supra's are pigs. Who cares if it can have 1000 HP what are you going to do with it show every how much PoWa you can make on a dyno?
Old May 8, 2004, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry kids, supras and evos are not in the same class, built for 2 different purposes, wrx sti and evo are a better match. I've seen evo's outhandle cars 3x the price, as well as I've seen supras embarass lamborghinis.
Old May 9, 2004, 02:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by e8
I think you're another "ricer". Stick with an integra or civic.

If done right, supras can be made to handle. As well as an Evo? Maybe.

WTF you calling me ricer for????

how did that quote make me a ricer?
Old May 9, 2004, 02:37 AM
Evolving Member

Supra looks like **** if they're left standard.... they have a decade old design.. I have a supra anyway, not in the US tho, and far from standard.. of course evo will beat supra in handling, its awd but have u guys ever driven a supra before?? i really dont think they have bad handling, thats what i feel cos i use HKS coilovers.... and by the way, our evos to normal people are just lancers with big wings.... but and old lady would know that supras are considered more "sports" cars.. peace... evo looks nice.... but i think if both are modified, supras'll look nicer.. peace!
c'mon ppl, dont diss other cars, the imp thing is that the car pulls real hard and puts a smile on your face
no offense evo people, i have an evo myself too..
Attached Thumbnails evo vs supra?-rear.jpg   evo vs supra?-side.jpg  

Last edited by fr34k; May 9, 2004 at 02:40 AM.
Old May 9, 2004, 02:42 AM

Having owned both the supra and now an EVO, I'm agreement with everyone else.

The Supra was fun on the highway. I would have fun with 911 turbo, vipers, vettes, ferraris and would be confident in beating if not holding my own. It drew more attention from a different crowd. Both the younger kids as well as adults. And especially the 911s that I played with. Also, at 400+ rwhp, that motor and tranny was rock solid and extremely reliable unlike my slipping evo clutch. As for power, some guy ran 900+ on the stock block, not sure how long that will last, but hey.. was still running last i heard.

The EVO, is much more fun to drive period. Handling is tighter and the car seems to react quicker. Unfortunately, it draws attention mainly from kids. And as for playing with those vipers, 911 turbos, vettes and ferraris, it wouldn't be close. At high speeds, even the g35 seems to hold its own against the EVO. And at high speeds (100-130), my supra felt much more stable.

Basically, two very different cars, both really fun and really fast. All preference, super pocket rocket, or powerful grand tourer. As for who will beat who? I'm sure the driver will make more difference then the car. Just my opinion.
Old May 9, 2004, 02:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ImportPePe
Am I the only one who thinks Supras are overrated?

Before you mention the Castrol Supra, keep in mind that it is a race car that has nothing in common with the regular Supra (motor is a 3S-GTE).

Also, another thing to note is that when I had my Evo, it got way way way more attention than any Supra. I guess Supras are a dime a dozen here, whereas I am lucky to see at least one Evo or STi a month.

So in summary:

It's fat and heavy.

It can be made to go very very fast. Whoopee!

And the Castrol Supra isn't the car that the average schmuck is going to go down to Toyota of Reality and buy, now is it?

hahahahah, you're a funny guy.
1. supras are rated highly for a reason
2. tt supra = 2jzgte / 3sgte is a mr2 turbo/ celica all trac engine
3. supra's are not a dime a dozen, they were a limited production car... evo's are a dime a dozen, i saw 4 at the mall i just visited...
4. if you're not impressed with speed, leave your evo or any car you drive the way it is... if you're not impressed with speed, there's no reason to modify it....

You guys that think the supra is overrated have obviously not driven a properly modified supra.
The supra was designed for handling in mind (at the time), but the engine proved more fun to modify than suspension... (apparently so in america) if you don't remember, the supra was a made into a drift car at D1 @ irwandale...
A single turbo mkiv supra will smoke the living **** out of a evo after the 60 foot mark on a straight line...
They compare the 4g63 as the 2jz/RB of the 4 cylinder world, not the other way around...

and finally, a supra is a GT car, not a rally car.... it's really hard to compare different classes of cars overall
Old May 9, 2004, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock for stock, the only published specs i could find on the supra are:

http://www.fast-autos.net/toyota/97toyotasupra.html

the evo from the same site:

http://www.fast-autos.net/mitsubishi...bishievo8.html

i don't know where they got their numbers, but stock for stock, the evo wins. i think that when it comes to modding, the differences in the two cars goals' will be a little more evident.
Old May 9, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mr96gsx408
hahahahah, you're a funny guy.
1. supras are rated highly for a reason
Because of Fast and the Furious

2. tt supra = 2jzgte / 3sgte is a mr2 turbo/ celica all trac engine
No ****. I was referring to the Castrol Supra, which has a 3S-GTE since it's much better balanced than the 2JZ-GTE.

3. supra's are not a dime a dozen, they were a limited production car... evo's are a dime a dozen, i saw 4 at the mall i just visited...
You live in California, I live in Texas. I see more Supras here than Evo's or STi's. I'm lucky to see at least one Evo or STi a month, whereas I'll see 4 different ones every 2 weeks.

4. if you're not impressed with speed, leave your evo or any car you drive the way it is... if you're not impressed with speed, there's no reason to modify it....
Different strokes for different folks. I'd rather have better handling

You guys that think the supra is overrated have obviously not driven a properly modified supra.
I dunno if I should. I mean, it's fast, but so what? If it's boring to drive, then who cares how fast it is?

The supra was designed for handling in mind (at the time), but the engine proved more fun to modify than suspension... (apparently so in america) if you don't remember, the supra was a made into a drift car at D1 @ irwandale...
It does handle good, but still doesn't compare to the Evo or STi. It's a heavy pig.

A single turbo mkiv supra will smoke the living **** out of a evo after the 60 foot mark on a straight line...
No doubt about it.

They compare the 4g63 as the 2jz/RB of the 4 cylinder world, not the other way around...
Oh yeah? I thought that was reserved for the 3S-GTE. Hmmmm, weird.

and finally, a supra is a GT car, not a rally car.... it's really hard to compare different classes of cars overall
Yeah true, it's like comparing a Skyline GTR to a Porsche 911 Turbo.
Old May 9, 2004, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

ok then what is the proper way to launch the car? Isn't it just dropping the clutch? Cuz I heard feathering is just shaving your clutch.
the quick slip method seems to be the most popular, you slip the clutch for very little than drop it, yes it does wear the clutch but if you have twin disk carbon cusco they'll survive a lot of launches

Quick Reply: evo vs supra?