Notices
Member Unresolved Disputes Discuss incomplete sales including undelivered parts or payment for member to member sales.

vinNybXx purchase review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vinNybXx purchase review

So I drove from PA to NY to buy and Evo 8 off of vinNybXx. Once there, everything looks good, other than a couple small issues that are cosmetic (rock chip in windshield, very small dent in hood, no spare tire/trunk carpet). None of this seems like a bid deal to me so I buy it and bring it home. Drives fine on the way home and am excited to drive this car. Take it to CBRD to have them look over the car. The first round of lists come back to include: cylinder head, rear o2 sensor, backup light sensor, battery tray. Nothing too crazy for a high mileage car so I give them the green light and they start pulling it apart. Get it apart, look at the block...its bad. Needs a new shortblock. So all in all I have had the car since end of July, driven it home, then 3miles to CBRD.

I try to contact the seller and he blames it on me, says I did that to the engine and wont take responsibility for any of it. All I asked for was for him to cover the cost of short block, not even half of the total bill. He tells me CBRD is scamming me (even though I saw it in person and have pictures) and that his car was fine. Now he wont respond to my calls/texts.

Personally, I cant wait to get the car back and enjoy it after spending all this money. And yes, I realize this is only my 3rd post. I am definitely reading up on this platform.

Last edited by dastpe; Sep 14, 2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: addition
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:33 PM

I wouldn't call that a scam.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for your bad luck with this car!!

What exactly is wrong with the short block? Was this issue something that could have been discovered if you had a reputable shop/mechanic give it a once over BEFORE forking over the cash?

He may not have known it was bad.

That does suck and I can only imagine the feeling finding this out after buying a used evo.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Doesn't really sound like you were scammed by the person IMO. Should have had it checked out by a mechanic/shop before buying.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:27 PM

well my guess is it was the tune he was running. looked like it was running very lean. some pitting on the block and burnt pistons.
i just feel like its a scam because the seller wont talk to me about it or even admit that there was a problem after sending the pictures. the way he dealt with it makes me angry and the fact that i feel like he screwed me over.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:43 PM

you can find 20+ things wrong with any used car with mileage on it... how were you able to drive the car at all if it needed a short block that bad? Honestly i dont really blame the OP for being suspicious as you could have easily been beating on the car or "Turbo happy" the whole time you drove it home.... he has no way to know what you were doing with the car..

lesson learned, always have a car inspected BEFORE purchase not after, if someone is hesitant to allow the car to be thoroughly looked at, run the other way and find another car for sale.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

This same thing happened to me... I saved all the money to buy my car, (my second Evo. I missed my old one so bad) anyway, I buy it at the end of May from a friend of mine believe or not. I only put 500 miles on it after I got it. It breaks down and come to find out it spun bearings. My mechanic is very honest and he claims the previous owner wouldn't have known. Car doesn't even have 45,000 on it. Still stock clutch as well. Just crappy luck I guess.

Unfortunately it happens. My car is having 2.4 long rod being built as we speak. Look at it this way, could work out to have a better motor in the long run. Rather find out now then later, eh? U would b really upset if it blew up later on and u weren't sure if it was something u did or pre existing.

But the thing that really worries u though is that he wont communicate with u which i agree isn't right. If u sell something to someone u should b there to answer any questions and should communicate if an issue comes up obviously right after u made such a large purchase. Good luck to u.

Last edited by Dade County; Sep 14, 2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:42 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
I am very confused about how you drove this car home needing a new block/cylinder and did not recognize that anything was wrong. I would call this a lesson learned about why you always get a full mechanical inspection and compression check done before buying a vehicle. It's not his fault you didn't prepare. Maybe he had no idea anything was wrong. Why isn't that a feasible possibility if you didn't think anything was wrong either?

I sold a truck last month that had 150k on the clock. The week I sold it, they blew the tranny. I take no responsibility for the repairs. Why? It never showed a hint of weakness in the tranny, and after they took it, I have no idea what they did to it. Used cars are sold as-is. It is the responsibility of the buyer to take all necessary precautions before purchasing a used vehicle in person.

That's just my opinion, but I'm changing your thread title because I don't see a scam here.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdost03
Doesn't really sound like you were scammed by the person IMO. Should have had it checked out by a mechanic/shop before buying.
^ This and then /thread

By trying to put the seller on blast is a really s****y thing for you to do because if you are foolish enough to not properly check out a car before buying then you deserve what happened to you, especially with a used Evo.

Also, this isn't a legit dispute you have with this member since it was your fault you didn't check the car out properly in the first place so it certainly doesnt belong in Member Unresolved disputes section and the mods should remove it and even give you an infraction for trying to tarnish someones reputation
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks everyone check my itrader /history never scammed noone on here and i bought/ sold a ton of stuff so im far from a scammer! This guy drove here checked out the car with his friend test drove it wanted it! Never forced him to buy my car that was his responsiblity to have the car inspected prior to purchase! complaining about rear o2 sensor on a catless car is minor issues. Provided him with a folder FULL OF RECIEPTS since owning the car for all the recent labor and parts installed from reputable shops and they will even vouch for the car!

Its a 03 with 100k on the body and 50k on the STOCK motor with a hta35r and full supporting mods making 500whp on pump, problems are going to arise as most of you know thats how the game goes. Obviously the car made it from NYC to his house in PA in 90 degree weather so that should prove the car wasnt a POS and a few weeks later complains the motor went. I dont know how he been driving the car, revved to, missed a gear, launched it etc all of that could pop a motor if done wrong. And to be honest thats not my responisblity and you want me to fix your motor lol.
Btw the car has a aem wideband with 4k miles on it if that and was consistent at 11.1- 11.2 on 93 octane on 25-26psi.

Even put a Brand new ACT clutch and oem flywheel in for him free of charge basically 150miles on it of that! And provided him with the reciept from STM and the old one that was still perfect! It gets me angry how he makes a post about this went and wanting to give out my personal info. To anyone wtf is that going to do? Maybe i should do the same to you since your the one making yourself sound stupid with this thread. I used the car everyday for 40+ miles with no issues. Many people know me on here and i never had any issues with the car i was actually going to keep it but found a good deal on another car i wanted.

Last edited by vinNybXx; Sep 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nsomniac
That's just my opinion, but I'm changing your thread title because I don't see a scam here.
You didn't go far enough, IMO. At this point, this is a "transaction review" at best and a "why you don't want to sell stuff to me" thread at worst.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

We don't even know how the o.p really drove the car home and around for that short period.For all we know,he raced every car in the area to prove himself about his new evo for bragging right's.O.p, next time get a car checked like that when buying,even more so on a stock shorty making near 500 whp things tend to fail at that level. GOOD LUCK .
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
"why you don't want to sell stuff to me" .
this
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the block on this car was apparently replaced one time before-

we saw it had a terrible head gasket leak- and recommended replacing that- so we did a compression test- which was a bit odd- compression was- but the cranking during compression was odd-

when we pulled the head we found bad scoring in the block- and it looked like maybe the rings had been butted up when it got hot----- so we are doing rods/pistons/etc-

valves were burnt- etc----

so- hard to say it is a modified car- just a shame new owner has to put that much money in it-

that being said- the car has an HTA35R on it- was on stock block/head- atleast the new owner will be able to realize the potential of the turbocharger now-

cb
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wait until he runs 50psi on pump and blames you for building a bad motor. I would steer clear of this guy for sure.
Originally Posted by CBRD
the block on this car was apparently replaced one time before-

we saw it had a terrible head gasket leak- and recommended replacing that- so we did a compression test- which was a bit odd- compression was- but the cranking during compression was odd-

when we pulled the head we found bad scoring in the block- and it looked like maybe the rings had been butted up when it got hot----- so we are doing rods/pistons/etc-

valves were burnt- etc----

so- hard to say it is a modified car- just a shame new owner has to put that much money in it-

that being said- the car has an HTA35R on it- was on stock block/head- atleast the new owner will be able to realize the potential of the turbocharger now-

cb

Quick Reply: vinNybXx purchase review