Notices
Member Unresolved Disputes Discuss incomplete sales including undelivered parts or payment for member to member sales.

Lowjonathan is trying to scam me!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowjonathan is trying to scam me!

Hello everyone, I just wanted to post some facts here on EvolutionM.net. I've been a member here since September of 2003 in excellent standing. Even though my beloved Evo is now sold and gone to another caring forum member, I still frequent this forum every now and then because I still love Evos. I wish I never sold mine. And as time permits, I try to sell off what misc parts I have. Which brings me to this dispute I'm having with this relatively "new" member lowjonathan.

On November 13, 2012 at 12:57am, he contacted me about purchasing my cat from my Evo ix MR.

On November 21, 2012 at 4:01am, I respond back that it is still available and we agreed on a price.

We go on through private messaging about the logistics and now he wants to include the downpipe in the deal. Again we agree on a price and he agrees to PayPal me the amount of $150 for both downpipe and cat shipped.

Now he wants me to shrink wrap and I do not agree to this because I feel it will damage the items so lowjonathan agrees that I ship in a box. I look into the downpipe and cat out of curiosity and said to myself how almost new the parts looked after six years of just sitting in my house.

So on November 27, I ship out the box through the United States Post Office and get a delivery confirmation number. Keep in mind that I was able to pack everything in one box. Lowjonathan was very happy with this. I shoot lowjonathan a private message and email that I was able to ship and gave him the delivery confirmation number.

Shortly thereafter he emails me asking if this was a JDM or EURO spec part. I replied it was USDM.

On December 6, 2012, I get an email from him stating that the package was stuck in Oregon and his shipping company will not ship to whatever country he is in because "there is a strong odor of petrol coming from the cat and downpipe". Then he goes on to say that both are damaged because of the gas inside the cat and downpipe. How can these parts get damaged if they came off when the car was new in 2006??? How can I store these parts with gas in them and not smell the fumes and possibly get my family and I sick? If there was gas inside these parts, how was I able to send through the United States Post Office??? First, i would never do that because it is very dangerous!!!

So lowjonathan is now asking for a refund. Before I even get to reply to lowjonathan, I get a claim dispute email from PayPal stating a negative $144 balance.

I firmly believe that once he found out it was a USDM part he did not want it anymore or he or someone who received it on his behalf, damaged the goods.

I now receive an email stating he is still abroad and hasn't even seen the parts for himself!!! How the hell can you make a claim against me through PayPal stating the item "weren't as described" if you haven't even seen it for yourself?

Amongst all this he is cursing me out so I had to reply back the same even though I hate resorting to that type of childish behavior.

So what do you guys think? Moderators and long good standing members give me some good advice Or just simply comment. The only way I would give a full refund is if the parts came back to me in the perfect condition I sent to lowjonathan. But according to him, even though he hasn't seen it with his own eyes, they are damaged because of "petrol" inside them. Is that even possible? I hope PayPal rules in my favor because I believe this guy is trying to pull a fast one and back out of a deal we made.

Btw, I have a perfect 100% feedback on all forums and ebay from selling hundreds of items And in good standing with all. Why would I ruin that perfect feedback and solid reputation for a mere $150?

Last edited by EVOM3; Dec 7, 2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:41 AM

Damn that sucks, I can't see how they would even be able to smell the gas fumes from anything if it's been sitting for as long as you say.

So are the parts stuck in transit? If they are then he can't really return them to you can he? I would just ask the shipping company to send them back to you, and give the guy his refund.

It sucks, but most of the time when ship parts like this you have to fill out a biohazard form, or at least that's what I had to do when I shipped the same type of parts through UPS.

Good luck man, sucky situation.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:26 AM

^ Agree. Try to get the parts back first. Since PayPal has already taken the money from your account - get the stuff in your hands. Paypal is pretty reasonable though if you explain.

Unfortunately, this is why shipping outside the US is very difficult. I feel bad telling folks even in Canada that I can't ship, but at times too much drama and risk.

Good luck w/ the situation.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm confused about one thing: his location according to his profile is Oregon and you said that the item was stuck in Oregon ... to what location were you responsible for shipping?

And please say that you shipped it to the same address as he uses for PayPal.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:13 PM

if you didnt send it to the verified address then you screwed broski
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brand0n
Damn that sucks, I can't see how they would even be able to smell the gas fumes from anything if it's been sitting for as long as you say.

So are the parts stuck in transit? If they are then he can't really return them to you can he? I would just ask the shipping company to send them back to you, and give the guy his refund.

It sucks, but most of the time when ship parts like this you have to fill out a biohazard form, or at least that's what I had to do when I shipped the same type of parts through UPS.

Good luck man, sucky situation.
Hi Brand0n,

Thanks for the reply...

Yes, there is no way there could be fuel in there for six years.

And I would nevere ship anything hazardous without the proper notifications and required forms.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj2tn
^ Agree. Try to get the parts back first. Since PayPal has already taken the money from your account - get the stuff in your hands. Paypal is pretty reasonable though if you explain.

Unfortunately, this is why shipping outside the US is very difficult. I feel bad telling folks even in Canada that I can't ship, but at times too much drama and risk.

Good luck w/ the situation.
Hi nj2,

I don't mind getting the parts back but I don't want them if they are damaged since I sent them in pristine condition. But since he claimed he hasn't even seen it with his own eyes, I don't believe him. Why would he ask me if they were JDM or EURO Spec, then all of sudden not want them...and they already shipped out at this point.

Thank you for the advice
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I'm confused about one thing: his location according to his profile is Oregon and you said that the item was stuck in Oregon ... to what location were you responsible for shipping?

And please say that you shipped it to the same address as he uses for PayPal.
Hi Iowa999,

I was only responsible for shipping to OREGON and fulfilled my obligations. Had I known it had it another destination, I probably would not have cared since I packed it extremely well and I know for sure there was no gasoline in there ( which still boggles my mind!!! ). It really blew me away when he stated this. . The only way I would care about shipping internationally is the cost of shipping. But regardless, the final destination that I was aware of was OREGON. It seems like he going by only what his shipping company is telling him, which I find totally shady.

I have many friends and colleagues in law enforcement so I will definitely reach out to them and have them do a little investigating on their down time.

I am little bummed too because, I've never had a problem with anyone on this forum and along comes this guy accusing me and bad mouthing me based on a third party's observations. It also taints me in dealing with international buyers in general. I've had such a good run selling and buying stuff on forums and ebay that it was bound to happen.

So seller and buyer beware of lowjonathan.

Thanks again Iowa999 for your hard work on this forum and your advice.

Last edited by EVOM3; Dec 7, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:06 PM

Interesting. If you got it to the final destination then I don't know how you're responsible for a 3rd party trying to ship your items to who knows where.

That being said - fight w/ paypal. Provide pictures if you have them and explain the situation. Might be more helpful than you think.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

If you shipped to the PayPal address and it got there, then the bit about some shipping company not agreeing to ship it farther is irrelevant and hopefully PayPal will recognize this.

With regard to the condition the parts were in when you shipped them, do you have pics? It's becoming more and more necessary for sellers to amass decent documentation of condition before shipping. In the case of wheels, for example, having pictures of unique aspects, such as etched numbers on the inside face, are becoming almost a necessity due to the "buy a full set and return three of them plus the one that I already had that was scruffed" scam.

Good luck.

ps. in case you don't get the idea ... you don't show the buyer the pics of the unique etched numbers until the sale is completely done
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
If you shipped to the PayPal address and it got there, then the bit about some shipping company not agreeing to ship it farther is irrelevant and hopefully PayPal will recognize this.

With regard to the condition the parts were in when you shipped them, do you have pics? It's becoming more and more necessary for sellers to amass decent documentation of condition before shipping. In the case of wheels, for example, having pictures of unique aspects, such as etched numbers on the inside face, are becoming almost a necessity due to the "buy a full set and return three of them plus the one that I already had that was scruffed" scam.

Good luck.

ps. in case you don't get the idea ... you don't show the buyer the pics of the unique etched numbers until the sale is completely done

Yes, I shipped to the PayPal address. And I do have pics, email trails and private messages.

Thanks again
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

In that case, you did everything correctly and if PayPal doesn't give you your money then that's just about the last straw (in my book) with regards to PayPal.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Just an update guys...

I received an email from PayPal with a UPS tracking number. Lowjonathan aka Tan Shu Lin is returning the cat and downpipe. I can't believe Paypal decided to rule in this scammer's favor.

All I know is I better receive the items back in mint condition. If they arrive damaged then ill know for sure he swapped out the parts and truly scammed me. As for PayPal, I'm ****ing done with them too.

I'm just so disgusted with this whole situation right now.
I always try to do he right thing and the bad guy wins. Wtf!

What recourse do I have if the parts come back damaged???
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

This my last and final update...

Lowjonathan shipped the cat and downpipe back to me. I opened the box which was the same box I used. In the box was the same cat and downpipe I shipped him with no damages or gasoline in both parts whatsoever. So I was correct in saying that he ****ed up when he bought this part from me because it is a USDM part. I wish he could've been up front with me and just told me he made a mistake and I would've understood. He definitely has some type of ownership in the shipping company because he had them tell PAYPAL that the parts smelled of heavy petrol. Ladies and gents, there is no odor, smell, or any hint of gasoline in these parts.

So, I wasted my time and out $35 for shipping this thing because lowjonathan was a sneaky son of a *****.

If I knew he was in Singapore I wouldn't have even dealt with him.

Sellers beware of lowjonathan. He is dishonest and can not be trusted.

Lowjonathan aka Tan Shu Lin from Oregon, Singapore. BURN IN HELL!!!

Now I gotta relist these things but local pick up only so you can inspect it for yourself and see that it is totally mint!!! Sorry guys I'm just venting. PayPal can suck it too!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Well what a turn of events that your account is disabled?

Quick Reply: Lowjonathan is trying to scam me!