Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

So I got a Maryland Safety Equipment Repair Order (pulled over for my exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
So I got a Maryland Safety Equipment Repair Order (pulled over for my exhaust)

Cop pulled me over tonight. Asks if I knew why he pulled me over and I told him I had no idea. I was in traffic so I knew I wasn't speeding.

He says my exhaust isn't factory and is waaaay too loud. His exact words..."I was 3 cars back and my mirrors were shaking." I gave him my license and registration.

Goes back to his car and comes back a couple mins later. Says that he thought it was pretty amazing that I'm 19 and have had the car for 7 months and haven't gotten tickets with it on my clean record. But he did give me a Repair Order. Said a couple times that if I had anything on my record with that car that he would've given me a ticket. So I'm grateful for that.

Anyone know how this works? I read the thing on the back of the paper. Says I have to take it to an authorized Maryland inspection station which my car will then be passed or failed.

Now I've actually been meaning to take off my AMS exhaust and sell it/fix it anyway, so this must be a sign.

Can I just put the stock one back on, take it to the inspection station, then when they pass it, take it off and put my AMS or which ever exhaust I have on at the time back on?

EDIT: Oh yeah and I brought up the how V8/muscle car thing and he said that he old muscle cars are exepmtn (sp?) from that because the have muscle car plates on them. He said that the Rousch Mustang and the Linkenfelter Corvette were also illegal they came out of the show room floor. Said the "Rousch" sticker on the top of the windshield was illegal along with the exhaust.

Also said that he could give me a ticket for anything changed on my car from tinted side blinkers, to installing HID's on a car that didn't come with them. He actually asked me before he went back to his car the first time if the car came with them, which I said they did. Now this sounds like total BS, but I didn't argue with the guy since he wasn't given me a ticket.

Last edited by damstr; Dec 18, 2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick question, how did your afford an MR?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:32 PM

yes - swap back to stock, fix/get new catback, and put it back on. you may be ticketed next time, though.

tinting your side markers (or other modifications to them), HIDs, and other things may be illegal - it's a state to state matter. As far as muscle car plates, it's "historic" or "QQ" plates. It limits the amount of miles/year on a vehicle in exchange to run a vehicle that came out before emissions laws or more than a certain number of years old (I believe it is 25 years).

His comment about the Mustang is completely incorrect. There has never been a non-street-legal version that you could purchase from a dealer "showroom floor." That would defeat the purpose of Roush taking stock Mustangs, modifying them, and reselling them.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:34 PM

sounds to me like you just ran into a tool...i would just look up your local laws for noise pollution and see how your car stands. yeah and the roush is not illegal...man i hate some cops
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok So I have gotten a few of these, along with my bF. (wrx) this is the GAYEST law I have ever heard in my life. trust me. if you got a "fix it" ticket, which i got twice in my prelude and didnt do a DAMN thing about it and nothing shows up on my record..dunno how that works, but if its one where there is like a $65 fine just pay it. But if you dont want to go the route I did and not do anything ahah. You take it to a shop who can do inspection, they sign off for it and you send it in. And he is right about the exhausts. you are not suppsed to have a "modified" exhaust and have something like excessive noise or some ****. Same with sound systems, if you can hear it i think 50 yards away they can give you a ticket...which I also got in my prelude. But if you have your stock exhaust...put that on with the quickness take it somewhere and switch it back...do you have test pipe..down pipe..what is your set up that its so loud? I havent even had a single look at mine. I have the Agency Power..which is a quiet exhaut but i am installing my TP and DP and headers in a few weeks so we'll see how that goes..I HATE MoCo PoPo
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Damstr, I'm sure the Jew will be answering your question soon but this is a lil off topic what High School did you go too?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hksevoix
quick question, how did your afford an MR?
I work. Computer techs make good money and its only getting better every year.

My name is the only one on the car, no one co-signed or put down a good down payment for me. All done by myself since no one wanted to help me.

Originally Posted by x_EvoChick_x
ok So I have gotten a few of these, along with my bF. (wrx) this is the GAYEST law I have ever heard in my life. trust me. if you got a "fix it" ticket, which i got twice in my prelude and didnt do a DAMN thing about it and nothing shows up on my record..dunno how that works, but if its one where there is like a $65 fine just pay it. But if you dont want to go the route I did and not do anything ahah. You take it to a shop who can do inspection, they sign off for it and you send it in. And he is right about the exhausts. you are not suppsed to have a "modified" exhaust and have something like excessive noise or some ****. Same with sound systems, if you can hear it i think 50 yards away they can give you a ticket...which I also got in my prelude. But if you have your stock exhaust...put that on with the quickness take it somewhere and switch it back...do you have test pipe..down pipe..what is your set up that its so loud? I havent even had a single look at mine. I have the Agency Power..which is a quiet exhaut but i am installing my TP and DP and headers in a few weeks so we'll see how that goes..I HATE MoCo PoPo
Well on the back I noticed that it said that if repair order wasn't received within 30 days then they suspend your registration.

I have the AMS turbo back with their test pipe. I have been told by other Evo owners that it is pretty loud.

Originally Posted by Show286
Damstr, I'm sure the Jew will be answering your question soon but this is a lil off topic what High School did you go too?
I went to West Nottingham Academy for my Freshman-Junior years, then finished up my Senior year in some public school down in Glen Burnie which for some reason I can't remember the name of. Wasn't my idea to switch schools, I was against it.

Last edited by damstr; Dec 18, 2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:07 PM
Account Disabled

Knock on wood I've only had one run in with a cop here in PA and that was because my inspection was out. He caught me going to the Beer Distributor to get some stuff for a Christmas party. He came up to me and told me about the inspection, my illegal tint, and noticed my exhaust but didn't care. He gave me the ticket for the Inspection Sticker and just warned me about the tint 15%!!!!!! He said that I could try to get away with it but just to watch out for other cops...noting that they are not all as nice. So he was pretty cool and let me off. I did however pay that $100 ticket and get my inspection. I know this may sound stupid but any time I see a cop I roll all of my windows down before I reach him/her and throw my tranny into neutral and just coast and then ease back into it as I pass. It may or may not help but it's worth a shot.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by damstr
I went to West Nottingham Academy for my Freshman-Junior years, then finished up my Senior year in some public school down in Glen Burnie which for some reason I can't remember the name of. Wasn't my idea to switch schools, I was against it.

O ok nevermind I thought you might of been someone I went to High School with he was two years younger than me.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

+1 swap exhaust get it signed off then put it bak on. however if you get pulled over again you WILL get a ticket and you might have to go to court for disobaying a cops order to fix something on your car. i know some one that did this with window tint 4 times. after the last time he had to go to court and was facing 3k in fines and 3 months in jail. of course the judge laughed it off cuz it was tint but you might not get such a nice judge. i guess its a risk you want to take to have some more HP from you TBE. i say risk it...... just my .02
Old Dec 18, 2007, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

pm me your questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

whatever your a fake mall cop
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

yo, i can get you out of it. My buddys shop does repair orders, if you wanna make the trip to rockville they will pass you
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silver06evo9mr
whatever your a fake mall cop
Thats only my part time job!!! until after Christmas. Go cook me a burger bitc*
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05blackevo8
yo, i can get you out of it. My buddys shop does repair orders, if you wanna make the trip to rockville they will pass you
Thats your best option

Quick Reply: So I got a Maryland Safety Equipment Repair Order (pulled over for my exhaust)