Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

Prince William County Police 'Run-in'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2003, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Prince William County Police 'Run-in'

Thought I would share a little story that happened yesterday while in my Silver Evo 8...

I was taking a right out of a shopping center; there were two right-turn lanes. I got in the far-right lane...well, that lane was designated to go straight onto I-66 (I didn't know this until I was already in the turning lane, there was a PWC cop beside me, so I wasn't going to back up, nor was I going to get on the highway once I turned right.). Light turned green, I turned right, then put on my blinker to get over in the left lane, with the cops 25 feet behind me. NOTE: I used my blinker, was going the speed limit and made a very easy lane change, no bid deal, right?

Wrong...I got about half a mile down the road, and the PWC cop lit up his lights. I pulled over, of course. He pulled me over because of this friggin right-hand turn. Half a mile back! I figured they were going to talk about the car, guess not. BUT, here's the funny thing, he brought my license/registration back, and placed his fingerprints on the side of my car (standard operating procedure); he let me go.

Those fingerprints kinda bothered me, so I put on my hazards, got my trusy 100% cotton rag and my Meguiar's qwik detailer, and waxed his fingerprints off of my baby! I did this IN FRONT OF THEM...was so funny!!!

Long story for such a little incident, but I thought everyone would enjoy!
Old Aug 11, 2003, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

He didn't ink his fingerprints onto the side of your car, did he? Or he just deliberately fondled the fender?

I'm tellin ya, the cops around here have a hair up their ***** for "Them Japanese cars wit the big wings.".....

SC~
Old Aug 11, 2003, 04:20 AM

Just curious why placing his fingerprints on the side of your car is standard procedure.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

My brother is a cop in S.C., they do that in case there's any problem with me 'running', they can simply brush for the cop's fingerprints...that will ensure that my car was the one he pulled over and had the 'run-in' with...
Old Aug 11, 2003, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

I cannot believe how many police they have patrolling for traffic here. It's ridiculous!! I guess that means there's no crime. Back in L.A., I used to drive 80+ all the time - and that was with the flow of traffic. You'd only get pulled over if they wanted to profile you or if you did something really dumb in traffic. Here, it seems anything will get you a ticket. Not cool
Old Aug 11, 2003, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

Did you get out and walk over to his cop car and fingerprint it too....so when you press charges for harassment, they can just check for your fingerprints to prove it was the cop who was giving you a hard time? huhuh....seems silly that the cop would do that....esp considering these guys make most of their money pulling over HOV Violators during commute times.

SC~
Old Aug 11, 2003, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

SC,

That would've been way too funny! I was truly ticked off, they checked my license (which usually takes 3 minutes or so)...took them almost 10 minutes!

I can understand if I was being a jackass, but I was doing the speed limit, used my signals...I'm really surprised they didn't say anything about the car...oh well, I guess I'd better get used to this kind of 'harrassment'...not looking forward to it however...
Old Aug 11, 2003, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

I posted last month about my run in with the Centreville Cops. The short of it was I was on a 4 lane road. The cop was in the right lane, I was in the left. I was pacing the cop from behind, then he let off his gas and hit his brakes and slowed considerably(like he was getting ready to turn) I maintained my -very close -- to the speed limit pace, and passed him. He then pulled in right behind me and pulled me over. He proceeded to say I flew by him in flagrant disregard to his authority. Then he started trying to get me to admit that the stock pieces on my Evo were in fact aftermarket pieces. So after I told him that my car is absolutely 100% factory stock, he gave me a ticket for "disregarding a posted sign" !!! ach!

SC~
Old Aug 11, 2003, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

great, now next time I'm there, theyre gonna pull my *** over, and give me a beatdown thinking I'm you...
Old Aug 11, 2003, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

SC! That's absolutely crazy! What the hell would it have mattered if your car WASN'T stock!? Good Lord...I drive through Centreville EVERY day...we gotta watch our backs, eh???
Old Aug 11, 2003, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

It happened on stone road. Keep your eyes peeled!

The cop was hoping to give me a fix-it ticket....and when he couldn't prove that the parts on my car were NOT stock, he just gave me the other fine instead.

The moral of the story is, if a cop asks you about the legality of the parts on your car, ALWAYS tell him they are stock. The cop has to prove you wrong. And around here, they don't have the knowledge base to do so.

SC~
Old Aug 11, 2003, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Chris in HB
Back in L.A., I used to drive 80+ all the time - and that was with the flow of traffic.
Unless they've changed procedure, when I lived out there, the CHP didn't use radar on the LA area freeways. Nor did they use unmarked cars, at least not that I ever saw.

I moved here from CA three years ago, and had to give up my daily 100+ sprints on the 405 freeway. But I'm ticket free since moving here -- well, moving violation free. I've been pulled over for an expired inspection sticker.

Just be vigilant and realize that in Virginia, over 80 MPH is a "de jure" reckless driving offense. Apparently, the lawmakers in Virginia think that the entire population of Europe is reckless. Most countries over there have 130 km/h speed limits on the freeways, which is about 81 MPH.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Most of the highways in the countries that have no speed limits are better maintained and it is harder to get a license. One has to pay oogles of dough just to obtain a driving permit. Not to mention the cost of gas, which makes our 1.41 to 2.00 gallon look like a joke. One might think that driving laws in those countires, like Germany, would be more lax due to the lack of restriction of speed, but in fact, fines for reckless driving or even passing on the right can be hefty. In some places they fine you a percentage of the value of your car. And while I don't know the exact percentage, and I believe that different offenses would carry differening percentages, even a 2% fine of your cars worth for 30 grand would suck goat *****.

Here in the states reckless driving is almost an acepted hazard on the road. People regularly cut me off and then have the ***** to honk. Frankly, while I do not support most of the pull overs by cops, I would argue something needs to be done to stop reckless ***-munches that risk the lives of others on the road. That said, most cops are cool, but the ones that suck can be ****oles.

I've been warned while stopping to help an old lady jump her car... I've been warned for helping to push a guys car across a parking lot. I've also been pulled over for passing a cop too, SC... she was driving all slow and **** and I needed to get into the right lane so I could make a turn.

Anyway I think that excessive speeding, anything over 80, should be left for the track or at least when there are less cars on the road. Cops are usually doing their jobs, and more than likely when the pull over an Evo they do it just too gawk at your tight rides. In a perfect world there would be no cops cause everyone would drive responsibly, but becuase of the jerks that cuase accedents, I'll feel safer having someone there pulling over the guys that like to weave in between traffic like they're making a basket.

Shingen
Old Aug 11, 2003, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

A few things...

1) Prince William County Police are more likely to pull you over just to harass you, but you're not as likely to actually get a ticket. Fairfax County Police, on the other hand, will generally only pull you over if you are actually breaking the law, but you are virtually guaranteed a ticket if you get stopped. VA State Troopers almost always write you up, too (you usually only encounter them on the Interstates) but it's easier to talk your way out of a ticket with them than a Fairfax County cop.

2) Secret Chimp...you ARE gonna fight that bull**** ticket, right?

3) Compared to most places, crime is practically nonexistent in Northern VA...you see, here we are allowed to be armed!
Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

I am most certainly going to fight it. My court date is in the beginning of Sept. He has 0 proof that I was doing anything that required the issuance of a "failure to obey sign" citation.

SC~

Quick Reply: Prince William County Police 'Run-in'