Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

84 in 55mph: Get a lawyer? ..or not

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say get a lawyer or even a consult. Not sure about VA, but I got nabbed in a Ferrari test drive.he said I was doing 125, but I doubt it. Lawyer and I went to court(hoping not to lose my job), and it got reduced.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As many people here have already stated I would get a lawyer and take them to court with you. It seems really simple here...you are obviously really concerned with the outcome of this...so why would you get peoples opinions on what to do. The possible long term financial impact of this will surpasses the several hundred dollars a lawyer would cost you. There is a high probability that with a lawyer you will get a reduced fine, and possibly no points. The points on your license are what you need to worry about here. The fine is nothing compared to the 5-7 years the ticket would be on your record..increasing your insurance premiums, on an already expensive car to insure.

I once got a ticket for 90 is a 55, I hired a lawyer, and took them to court with me...it was the best move I cold of ever made. The lawyer was able to talk on my behalf and get me out of the ticket. I paid court costs, and had pbj for several years.

Considering this is your second offense like this, NOT having a lawyer is probally the dumbest thing you could do. Do your self a favor...cover your butt, and get a lawyer...in the end if they dont get you off, and the judge throws the book at you...at least you cant doubt that you did everything that you could do.

caelin~
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

speed

From my experience a lawyer will just hutrt you the jusdge will think you are trying to get off and was harsh to me, the best bet maybe to get a calibration on the speedo to get it reduced i got two ticket for the exact same mph over and got calibrated it was off and got it dropped to improper equipment but i wasnt 30 over iwas 17 over so if anything he will legally have to reduce it talk to some shops for calibration and they will help show that your speed was off a bit hope this helps.

If that is not working to get calibration go in and explain you have a job which you have to drive for and you would like to pay the fine and keep the points off DONT i mean dont take the driver imorovement class before you go to court. Tell the judge you would like to opt. for a driving improvement class , because if you have taken one in two years before the court date he wont let you take another so your best to ask him for the imprvement class

keep posted on here i have been in these situations more than i would like and have been pretty successful
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDATE: well court was today ended up getting a lawyer and he got the fine reduced to a 3 point charge, failure to obey highway sign with a $50 fine.. sooo yeaa pretty much LAWYER FTW
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

No matter how little the legal matter, you're always going to get further with a good lawyer than without one. When you have a lawyer the judge knows you're taking the matter seriously and is going to take that into consideration when he decides what the punishment is going to be.

That has been my experience. Take it as you will.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

ok
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

at least it didnt turn out real bad.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

actually not bad at all imo.. i was able to use my certificate from drivers improvement to bring be back up to a plus 3 on my driving record