Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Emissions Testing in CO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emissions Testing in CO

Anyone know of a place to get emissions tested w/o letting some crazy state employee drive your car?!? I don't want to let them touch it!!

I never see ferrari's at the emissions place, so where do they go?
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

a friend that lives out there said CO is revoking their emissions laws starting in 07
Old Jul 12, 2006, 07:08 AM

That just sounds too good to be true... I really can't imagine that, but we can always hope for the best! I'll have to look into it...
Old Jul 12, 2006, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

well he works at a mazda dealership and i was asking him about the regulations cuz im thinking of moving back out there. and he called me back a couple of days later and said they were pulling emissions in about 6months ....meaning 07.

surprising, yes. impossible, no ...but then im an optimist at times. lol
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:09 AM

Here's a new one:
http://www.aircarecolorado.com/rapidscreen/about.html

Apparently, you can just drive by the vans - no need to stop, fill out paper work, or talk to anyone. If you pass twice in a 10 month period within the year before your emissions are due, you will receive notification w/your registration renewal that you can accept the drive-by emssions screening, and don't have to go to the normal emissions place.

....just in case CO doesn't abolish emissions laws
Old Jul 12, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm well i guess the coming months will tell. i was a little concerned about it being that ive already been through smog tests in CA ....which are amazingly fun. so since i was thinkin of moving to the springs, i called him up to chat about how strict they are.

then he hit me with that news ....so i guess we'll see....
Old Jul 14, 2006, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

I ve heard the same for colorado about the law going bye bye.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

that would be nice ...im keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:15 AM

Check out this article in today's Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_4072263

There are definitely NOT abolishing emissions testing, they are trying to eliminate the drive up testing in favor of a drive-through test (those white vans with the lasers). It will be better this way, but the federal regulations for clean air are even tighter now, so I don't see emissions testing disappearing anytime soon.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, it may be different in Denver than in the Springs. I just moved here in February, but I hadn't registered yet, because I run a catless TBE and was hoping to wait for the emissions to go away like everyone had said. Nothing was happening, so I went through the trouble of getting a stock cat from another Evo owner then placed in the middle of my megan TBE (bolts right up). I then drove to an inspection station and told them I was from out of state, so I needed an inspection. When they saw it was an 05, they said I didn't need one, which baffled me, so I asked him to clarify. He said that since the emissions were going away later in the year, they had passed an interim law that said cars 03 and newer didn't have to be tested if they were brought in from out of state. Previously, a new car bought in CO didn't have to get tested for 5 years or something, but a new car brought in from out of state had to be tested. Well, that recently changed, so all I had to do was get a VIN verification. Earlier this week, I took that $10 VIN verification, got my driver's license and registered the Evo with no problem. The clerk reiterated that I didn't need an inspection, since it was a 2005.

Yay.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Just for the record, no state employees do emissions in CO. You can just go to most oil change places and get your emissions done. You can find guys that for $50 will give you a clean sheet with some other car and your VIN number.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:19 AM
cjb
Evolving Member

How much was your registration, if you don't mind my asking? I'm trying to decide if I should renew my registration in CA, or go through the process of registering in CO...

-CJ

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Well, it may be different in Denver than in the Springs. I just moved here in February, but I hadn't registered yet, because I run a catless TBE and was hoping to wait for the emissions to go away like everyone had said. Nothing was happening, so I went through the trouble of getting a stock cat from another Evo owner then placed in the middle of my megan TBE (bolts right up). I then drove to an inspection station and told them I was from out of state, so I needed an inspection. When they saw it was an 05, they said I didn't need one, which baffled me, so I asked him to clarify. He said that since the emissions were going away later in the year, they had passed an interim law that said cars 03 and newer didn't have to be tested if they were brought in from out of state. Previously, a new car bought in CO didn't have to get tested for 5 years or something, but a new car brought in from out of state had to be tested. Well, that recently changed, so all I had to do was get a VIN verification. Earlier this week, I took that $10 VIN verification, got my driver's license and registered the Evo with no problem. The clerk reiterated that I didn't need an inspection, since it was a 2005.

Yay.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

nice info warr :thumbsup:
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:33 AM

Just an FYI, all new cars do not require emissions for the first 4 years. So, we should all still be in the clear until '07...

I just want to know what I'm gonna do well before it's an issue.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hrmm i have to do mine soon 2 Blah

Quick Reply: Emissions Testing in CO