Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Anyone ticketed in Chicago for their Exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ticketed in Chicago for their Exhaust??

A long story short, I was issued a village (Elgin) ticket for having an aftermarket exhaust. The cop said that ANY modification to the exhaust that is not stock is ILLEGAL. Regardless of the noise factor. But that is the reason he gave me a ticket for it ($75) I am fighting it and was wondering if anyone else had this happen to them???
Old Dec 7, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have that same law in New York, any modification to stock exhaust is illegal. If the cop "Thinks" its too loud you can get a ticket.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Guilty. Just pay the fine and move on.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

$75 is cheap.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 09:12 AM

Same in VA... Alter your car in any way, and the State boys are right behind you checking you out and handing out tickets... I am expecting it any time now (knock on wood), hope not... but they have been getting me for my Honda's for YEARS... Even my lifted Trucks...
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:24 AM

I don't think there is any rule in Rockford about changing your exhaust. But if it is to loud you can get a fine. We do have a noise ordinance for car stereos though. If you can hear the music from 75ft away they can impound your car the first time they pull you over. (how stupid :-/)
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm, not sure what the law is here in MD, but my exhaust is crazy loud and I've driven past numerous county cops and state troopers with no problems. Got ticketed for no cats once, but my exhaust smelled awful because I wasn't tuned.

I say fight it, no harm in trying. I find it hard to believe a 'village' would make a law that strict.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Is it actually ILLEGAL to modify an exhasut in IL?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

I spent $75 at the bar lastnight.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
buy a silencer for the exhaust,and show the judge the reciept and it will be dropped . i go through it about 4 times a year
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

My friend got pulled over for his stock exhaust once. The cop felt like the biggest idiot he was just trying to give us a hard time.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Luckily here in KS there is no emissions laws (we've all heard the horror story's of cops with mirrors in Cali looking for cats under the cars) - so I don't have to worry about the "illegal exhaust" but I'm unsure about our noize laws. So far I haven't heard of anyone being pulled over for anything but Tint.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Illinois Vehicle Code states, in section 12-602:
(625 ILCS 5/12‑602) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑602)
Sec. 12‑602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.

Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.
(Source: P. A. 77‑37.)
The officer was slightly wrong; you can modify the exhaust, but not if the result is something louder than stock. As you'd expect, the burden is on you to demonstrate that your exhaust is not louder than the stock system. I suspect that if the officer pulled you over, you probably got his attention somehow.

Something else to keep in mind: local laws (county, city, etc.) can carry additional restrictions, depending on who issued the ticket to you (state police, sheriff, etc).

(More trivia: there's a bill in process that would amend the Illinois Vehicle Code to state that a vehicle cannot be impounded solely because of the exhaust issue.)

Don't like the law here in Illinois? Call your representative, and urge them to help Illinois adopt the SEMA model legislation that dictates a field-measurable standard by which excessive exhaust noise can be defined. If you're under-age, talk to your parents, and have them call your representative, write a letter, or otherwise express your distaste for laws like this.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

im in houston, TX ....i got bo cats and greddy ti-c exhaust no problem. It even passes emissions. They dont sniff here neither do they check for cats or no cats. Plus we get 93 octane here. I just moved here from California....as much as i hate Texas cuz its sooo freakin boring i love the laws about cars and emissions.....i bet my evo likes it too. Less restrictions.... :-)

Trust me guys i feel for you guys.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Damn I did not think we had any law's like that..My car is loud as hell...Never got a ticket.

Quick Reply: Anyone ticketed in Chicago for their Exhaust??