Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Looking for quality STL tuner..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for quality STL tuner..

I know about Speed and Sound, but I was wondering if anyone from the STL area knew of any good EVO tuners locally or close by. Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but if you got enough interest you could probably get one of the Chicagoland tuners to come down for a weekend.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with Brian. You'll have more choices if you make the 4 hour trip up our way (or get them to travel your way). However it wouldn't hurt if you checked in with Jim at Turbo Connection in Edwardsville, IL (I went to SIUE). He's not an Evo tuner by any means (he skews domestic) but he has experience with many different turbo cars, both domestic and import. Plus he's crazy (in a good way, he has/had a turbo 'busa!). I had a few conversations with him when I was looking to get my 03 OZ Rally turbo'd and he was very knowledgeable, although at the time I was going to use the RRM Stage 2 kit and I believe that came with a piggyback, so tuning wasn't discussed at length. Good luck bro
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by F1fan07
I know about Speed and Sound, but I was wondering if anyone from the STL area knew of any good EVO tuners locally or close by. Thanks!
Seems this question comes up about every other month!

What are you wanting tuned exactly?

AMS in Chicago is one of the most reputable shops in the nation - well worth the drive for the peace of mind of a good quality tune imo.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 07:45 AM

I am just uncomfortable with the idea of being four hours away if something goes badly. I mean, I know our cars are strong and have a lot of potential, but it'd be nice if there had been a semi-reputable tuner close by. I am very familiar with AMS and saw them at Hot Import Nights a few years ago, pull 1000 hp on the dyno.. O_o Crazy! I still have a warranty and need to do some upkeep on my ride for now, but was just exploring my options. Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by F1fan07
I am just uncomfortable with the idea of being four hours away if something goes badly. I mean, I know our cars are strong and have a lot of potential, but it'd be nice if there had been a semi-reputable tuner close by. I am very familiar with AMS and saw them at Hot Import Nights a few years ago, pull 1000 hp on the dyno.. O_o Crazy! I still have a warranty and need to do some upkeep on my ride for now, but was just exploring my options. Thanks for the info!
Not sure what you're thinking might go wrong? If you stick with reputable tuners, there really isn't much to concern you. They work a safe tune, nothing dangerous. Just research some and see the positive/negative feedback on the forums.

If you're concerned with warranties, there's ways to help disguise flashes. Most cars will look 100% stock.

I've had several cars flashed and/or dyno tuned at different companies. I don't hesitate to recommend AMS for their abilities or background. AMS and other companies do mail-in reflashes as well. You won't get 100% of the results that a custom tune would get you, but you still get a good safe kick in the pants.

The downside is you're car can't really move without it's ECU in it. And if you want a custom tune later, you might have to rebuy (for software licencing).

Last edited by boomn29; Mar 3, 2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 01:37 PM

if your looking for anyone locally, go to htp in arnold, only thing is its street tune