New SST real max torque.

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2008, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New SST real max torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLK
That's wrong, the SST is built by Getrag and it's model number is 6DCT470:

Max. Torque Capacity 470 Nm (347 lbs/ft)
Weight (dry) 99,5 kg
Installation length 348 mm
Input Shaft - Differential 197/207/215 mm
Gear Spread Ratio 4,99 – 6,48

I believe only the clutch packs are supplied by Aisin. The exact torque limit in the Evo application is still unknown and shouldn't be too far from the OEM spec. Also, the MR has been released in the Japanese market for over 2 months now. The ASpec "delay" is mostly due to re-tuning because of different driving habits of the US population imo. "

347 fps, is that rite? Anyone know if its really correct? I am waiting for the MR, but if 347 is the real limit I may just get the GSR. I'm either getting a new evo or mazda 3 speed GT soon. Still can't decide, not enough info yet, still questions.

This is from another thread and I think deserves a space all itself. I waited for a response but nothing. Can someone tell me if 347 is the real limit? I was waiting to get the MR but if thats true I'll just get the 5 speed. I don't see what use that new tranny would be holding no more than that. Thoughts everyone please.
Old May 4, 2008, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ridge Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLK
That's wrong, the SST is built by Getrag and it's model number is 6DCT470:

Max. Torque Capacity 470 Nm (347 lbs/ft)
Weight (dry) 99,5 kg
Installation length 348 mm
Input Shaft - Differential 197/207/215 mm
Gear Spread Ratio 4,99 – 6,48

I believe only the clutch packs are supplied by Aisin. The exact torque limit in the Evo application is still unknown and shouldn't be too far from the OEM spec. Also, the MR has been released in the Japanese market for over 2 months now. The ASpec "delay" is mostly due to re-tuning because of different driving habits of the US population imo. "

347 fps, is that rite? Anyone know if its really correct? I am waiting for the MR, but if 347 is the real limit I may just get the GSR. I'm either getting a new evo or mazda 3 speed GT soon. Still can't decide, not enough info yet, still questions.

This is from another thread and I think deserves a space all itself. I waited for a response but nothing. Can someone tell me if 347 is the real limit? I was waiting to get the MR but if thats true I'll just get the 5 speed. I don't see what use that new tranny would be holding no more than that. Thoughts everyone please.
You can't believe how happy people are already if 347 lb is the real SST's torque limit. Most SST potential buyers are happy with 300 wheel torque! Oh, and get 5 speed if you want a 500 HP Evo X...
Old May 4, 2008, 05:08 PM

Smile OEM Under-stated actual TQ. Limit!

IMO the stated torque limit is probaly 30% low for warranty purposes and general engineering conservative specifications. I bet we will find that the SST will survive at 450 Pound Feet of Torque when it is actually pushed by the tuners. It will most likely need more cooling by after market Transmission cooler packages and also some special clutch packages at this level of torque, and will satistfy 95% of the end user's need for speed out there when it comes right down to it.

Just My opinion.
Old May 4, 2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by jackygor
You can't believe how happy people are already if 347 lb is the real SST's torque limit. Most SST potential buyers are happy with 300 wheel torque! Oh, and get 5 speed if you want a 500 HP Evo X...
Well if thats true then most people don't plan on upgrading thier cars, I mean 300 is nothing. At 300 real max it wouldn't even hold up under heavy use for long as a stock vehicle.
If vishnas already got 400 and 400 out of just a mild tune then I wouldn't even use that 1k set up with the SST. Not at 347 max torque.

To the other guy, you may be right but I think they probably only left 10 percent, if thats true you wouldn't be able to do much more than an cat back & k&n to it.

I Just want to make sure I get a reliable tranny, thanks guys.
Old May 4, 2008, 08:03 PM
Account Disabled

---
Old May 4, 2008, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Well if thats true then most people don't plan on upgrading thier cars, I mean 300 is nothing. At 300 real max it wouldn't even hold up under heavy use for long as a stock vehicle.
If vishnas already got 400 and 400 out of just a mild tune then I wouldn't even use that 1k set up with the SST. Not at 347 max torque.

To the other guy, you may be right but I think they probably only left 10 percent, if thats true you wouldn't be able to do much more than an cat back & k&n to it.

I Just want to make sure I get a reliable tranny, thanks guys.
If you want serious power mods, you definitely want the GSR. In fact I think anybody who's even considering mods like a boost controller, down pipe, race pipe, etc. doesn't want the MR. Not unless they're willing to pay for a new tranny a few years from now.

But, anyway, that Getrag is not the same as the SST. Compare the pics and you will see the differences. And there's no way they only left a 13% safety margin. AMS figures their bolt-ons increased power on their test SST by 50-60 hp. Seems likely they also increased torque more than 13%. As far as what the SST will take in terms of increased output, I like the 30% figure. But not on top of the Getrag figure, which is of limited value since it's not even the same tranny. Instead I think that's a reasonable safety margin over the stock torque rating before the SST's TCM throws the engine into limp mode.

Last edited by desperado-c; May 5, 2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old May 5, 2008, 12:32 PM
Account Disabled

The million dollar question is simply, what can the SST handle in REAL wtq?

And no-one will know until someone tries it and breaks it.
Old May 5, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think we should have a prize for the tuning company that can prove the torque limit of the SST ---- with a criteria of no less than 3 SST breakages!

I'll donate an itunes gift card!
Old May 5, 2008, 12:41 PM
Account Disabled

^I'll donate an old pair of boxers!
Old May 5, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

ill donate a Wal-Mart gift card^^^
Old May 5, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tsurugi-san
I think we should have a prize for the tuning company that can prove the torque limit of the SST ---- with a criteria of no less than 3 SST breakages!

I'll donate an itunes gift card!
I heard a rumor that suggests yours gifts should be sent to HKS in Japan.
Old May 5, 2008, 04:20 PM
Account Disabled

Well, I heard a rumor that says all donations should be sent to my PayPal, but then what do I know....
Old May 5, 2008, 05:17 PM

Someone on here I won't name unless he sais its ok, told me mitsubishi figures it for 400 to 450 before problems start occuring. This is from a reliable source btw. So looks like I was wrong about the 10 percent. He also said that nobody really knows how much it will hold yet though. Humn, if its the 450 I might be able to love it till tranny upgrades become available. Thanks for the input everyone. I would like to see one break too. I imagine it will happen sometime soon.

Last edited by Ridge Racer; May 5, 2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old May 5, 2008, 05:23 PM

We won't know until shops give it a try..............
Old May 5, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Someone on here I won't name unless he sais its ok told me mitsubishi figures it for 400 to 450 before problems start occuring. This is from a reliable source btw.
That is something I never expect to see in print from a reliable source. We have that guy who drove onto Mitsu HQ property and started talking to a Mitsu "supervisor" who said 350 hp. I think that's as close as we'll get to a figure coming out of Mitsu.

Quick Reply: New SST real max torque.