Notices

What's wrong with my X? SST jerking at low rpms

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is not part of the thread. But did u have 350 whp before the cam install? And if u did, the car ran perfectly for approx how long? Just wanted to know how well the SST responded to your bolt-on.

The CAM timing maybe at fault. I hope you get your car running perfectly again. And props to international MR owners that are modding their cars to find the potential of the SST.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by SiC
To check the initial cam timing you pull off your valve cover and turn the crank to top dead center for #1 cylinder. Check the timing marks on your cam sprockets and make sure they are both aligned in the top dead center position.

To check your mivec, you'll need a logger capable of logging mivec degrees such as the Mitsubishi MUT3. I'm not sure but the ECUTek Delta Dash may also support this.

I'm sure you checked but you don't have any intake leaks do you?
SiC, thanks again for your input. I'll try to do what you suggested tomorrow. I have ZERO idea what you're asking me to do right now, but I've printed out the relevant pages from the service manual and will give it a shot later. I'm hoping it won't be too hard to figure out..

and mivec: we've tried putting in the stock Evo X map once, and it didn't make a difference (I'm assuming the MIVEC would be reverted to stock values too when the stock map was put back in) I'll do a re-check for intake leaks too (that was one of the first few things I checked)

and re: new valve caps - I doubt it. AFAIK nothing else was put in other than the cams. I think I would know cos if anything else was replaced, I'm sure they would've told me to charge me accordingly!

Originally Posted by cantbanme357
wernt there another guy on here that somthing similiar like this happened and they were wondering if the sst ecu was trying to relearn the car and after a lot of driving car seemed to smooth out cant remember excatly but maybe something to think about if it aint the timing
tried to search as you suggested with "another SST thread" and I couldn't find the thread you were talking about. do you have the exact url?

Originally Posted by EvoJutsu
this is not part of the thread. But did u have 350 whp before the cam install? And if u did, the car ran perfectly for approx how long? Just wanted to know how well the SST responded to your bolt-on.

The CAM timing maybe at fault. I hope you get your car running perfectly again. And props to international MR owners that are modding their cars to find the potential of the SST.
yeah, the 350whp (on dynapack) ie. the dyno graph posted was what my car was doing after meth. it was running maybe 2+ months. Right till the point when cams were put in, everything was PERFECT. super smooth, fantastic power, and the SST was shifting perfectly in all modes. no problems whatsoever!

Anyway, guys, can you tell me one thing? Would screwed up cam timing give rise to symptoms just like mine? or would the symptoms be different ie. does the diagnosis FIT the symptoms?

Thanks everyone for your help! much appreciated
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In a manual, if you drive below 2k rpm on 1st or 2nd gear you get that bounce in the rpm's till your above 2k rpm. That's normal on a manual but on a SST you have a problem.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:27 PM

I know i have a problem. That's why i started this thread...
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:37 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ablaze
and mivec: we've tried putting in the stock Evo X map once, and it didn't make a difference (I'm assuming the MIVEC would be reverted to stock values too when the stock map was put back in) I'll do a re-check for intake leaks too (that was one of the first few things I checked)
I wasn't really refering to the maps but I wanted to make sure your mivec was working mechanically. The mivec system has 2 oil pressure valves, one intake and one exhaust. If they are not functioning properly you will not be able to achieve the mivec settings in your map. When you replace cams you have to remove these valves and they may have been damaged during re-installation. If you hook your car up to a system like MUT3, you can see exactly what your valve timing is and compare it to your actual maps to make sure they are working properly.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:13 PM

hmm.. I see. ok will bear your input in mind. Here in Singapore, it's quite hard to find a workshop that's got the MUT3 machine. but I'll see what I can do about that. thanks again!

this's such a pain-in-the-butt to troubleshoot
Old Feb 22, 2009, 06:04 PM

Creativesports has the MUT3 tool but whether it can support the EVO X SST that you will need to check with them personally.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by SiC
I wasn't really refering to the maps but I wanted to make sure your mivec was working mechanically. The mivec system has 2 oil pressure valves, one intake and one exhaust. If they are not functioning properly you will not be able to achieve the mivec settings in your map. When you replace cams you have to remove these valves and they may have been damaged during re-installation. If you hook your car up to a system like MUT3, you can see exactly what your valve timing is and compare it to your actual maps to make sure they are working properly.
Sic, do you have the service manual? could you post a pic maybe and tell me exactly where the mivec oil pressure valves? a friend mentioned, since my problems seem to occur only after water temps hit about 80°C, it could very well be the mivec just kicking in at that time, that's causing this problem. I hope I'm explaining the postulation right! I barely understood what he said

also, cams look like they were installed correctly. went to a different workshop to double-check and they confirmed the timing was all spot on, and everything looked right.

anybody have any more ideas? I'm gonna be trying out a fellow X's throttle body assembly tomorrow, to see if mine's faulty. and maybe the EGR valve. now where's this EGR located exactly? I wish I knew more about cars
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:10 AM

oh yeah, ahbao, thanks for the info! might pop by - that'll be a few steps down the troubleshooting line..
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

mivec should also cause ur fuel economy to drop. getting ****ty fuel economy lately?
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Sounded like something went wrong during the time of cams installation in the first round, good luck and hope you get it resolved soon!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:12 PM

yes! economy deproved definitely!

thanks LVSBB6 for your support..
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:30 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Sic, do you have the service manual? could you post a pic maybe and tell me exactly where the mivec oil pressure valves? a friend mentioned, since my problems seem to occur only after water temps hit about 80°C, it could very well be the mivec just kicking in at that time, that's causing this problem. I hope I'm explaining the postulation right! I barely understood what he said

also, cams look like they were installed correctly. went to a different workshop to double-check and they confirmed the timing was all spot on, and everything looked right.

anybody have any more ideas? I'm gonna be trying out a fellow X's throttle body assembly tomorrow, to see if mine's faulty. and maybe the EGR valve. now where's this EGR located exactly? I wish I knew more about cars
Engine Manual is here.
Check section 11A-25, then name of the controllers are:
Intake Oil Feeder Control Valve
Exhaust Oil Feeder Control Valve

I could be wrong but from my understanding the JDM doesn't have an EGR system on the X.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:42 PM

well, just swapped out my throttle body and the throttle assembly at the pedal with another X's and.............. no change! the problem's still there. WTF's going on!??

ARGH. Sic, how do I "check" the MIVEC control valves? short of swapping them out with new ones, is there another way to check if they're faulty? plug into MUT3 machine?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:26 AM
SiC
Evolved Member

well, just swapped out my throttle body and the throttle assembly at the pedal with another X's and.............. no change! the problem's still there. WTF's going on!??

ARGH. Sic, how do I "check" the MIVEC control valves? short of swapping them out with new ones, is there another way to check if they're faulty? plug into MUT3 machine?
There's only 2 ways I know of:
MUT3 machine
HKS Valcon

The ECUTek Delta Dash may also log it too, you might want to ask your ECUTek dealer.

Put your car on the dyno and monitor the Mivec degrees, make sure it is advancing or retarding to whatever degrees you have listed in your maps.

You should probably check it before 77 degrees celcius (engine coolant temp) and after 77 degrees celcius to check the operations of the low ect mivec and standard ect mivec maps.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with my X? SST jerking at low rpms