Notices

Discussion of Slippage/Heat in TC-SST

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2009, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoX95123
Can you explain being conservative in what sense? Reduce clutch wear? More comfortable shifting?

I get these delayed engagements from time to time when I do spirited drive with manual shift in Sport mode. With Auto shift, it does not seem to have this issue.

The only mod is CBE and the rest is stock. Won't I get more delayed engagement if I do a dyno tune?
comfort .. It seems like the SST was tested for a specific crowd to fit about 90% of the population .. that specific crowd seems to be only receptive to TRADITIONAL auto slushbox

Guess that's technological advancement for you .. humans have to have something which they are familiar with .. otherwise they will exhibit strong resistance to the change

Feeling shouldn't change unless the tuner know whats he's doing to the gearbox .. if he doesn't it just makes your car that much more painful ..
Old Aug 6, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Do we know what generates the most heat in the SST?

Once you are moving, does most of the heat come from engaging the clutches (logical shift) or changing the gears (physical shift).

If physically shifting the gears generates heat in the transmission then I can see excessive heat being generated by being in manual mode and using an inappropriate programming mode. I haven't fully thought this through so I could be spouting garbage.

For example. If you are just cruising around in manual mode and S-Sport programming. Let's say you are cruising at 3,000rpm in 3rd gear. The even gears are going to be in 2nd gear ready for a downshift (because of S-Sport programming) so when you hit the upshift paddle, it's not just a case of the car swtiching the clutch engagements, but it also has to shift from 2nd to 4th.

However, if there is no significant heat generated in shifting the gears then this point is moot.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

the most heat is generated by the clutch packs themselves, but driving in s-sport mode may put additional wear on the synchros because the trans is busy preselecting gears all the time, depending on throttle inputs, accell/decell, etc.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by evo542
the most heat is generated by the clutch packs themselves, but driving in s-sport mode may put additional wear on the synchros because the trans is busy preselecting gears all the time, depending on throttle inputs, accell/decell, etc.
I would agree with the statement above since the manual says ONLY use S-Sport on the track etc which means don't use it too.