Notices

Philamthebest's SSP Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by philamthebest
do you have any more details on the blown motor, why did it blow etc?

SST has a self protection mode that engages when too much power is detected (TCU controlled, not ECU). He was making enough power to trigger this self protection mode which basically disengages the clutches and lets the motor free-rev; it happened while he was doing a full throttle pull and the motor blew as soon as the transmission gave out.

It's all about how much torque the TCU detects.. you make too much torque and you could be getting into trouble. There are people researching the re-programming of the TCU but no progress has been released or announced yet... hopefully soon.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 08:01 PM
Former Sponsor

^^^ No engine rev limiter protection? Dont want to call mythical white whale on the story but could this guy post in my newly formed SST blew up thread
Old Feb 8, 2010, 08:02 PM
Former Sponsor

that might actually be a good thing the tranny is way more expensive then the engine rebuild
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:40 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by weebles
SST has a self protection mode that engages when too much power is detected (TCU controlled, not ECU). He was making enough power to trigger this self protection mode which basically disengages the clutches and lets the motor free-rev; it happened while he was doing a full throttle pull and the motor blew as soon as the transmission gave out.

It's all about how much torque the TCU detects.. you make too much torque and you could be getting into trouble. There are people researching the re-programming of the TCU but no progress has been released or announced yet... hopefully soon.
There are torque limit tables for the SST in the ECU (not to be confused with the engine airflow/torque limit tables).

I've seen the clutch packs open on the dyno. Upping these tables accordingly stop this from happening. If this is the same car I am thinking, the tables where stock at the time.

There are also clutch A/B clamp tables in the ECU as well as a couple other tables and I am sure others that have not been found yet.

- Bryan
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

So will the MR's blow after making more power on the transmissions, even though the clutchs are upgraded?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

So will the MR's blow after making more power on the transmissions, even though the clutchs are upgraded?
+1 ; IIRC there was a guy here running high 12's that had the clutch upgrade and he went boom??

(Thread is on the drag racing section)
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by weebles
What do you plan to do with your TCU?

Have you seen the results of an overpowered MR? I have... and it is a blown engine when the TCU goes into self protection mode and lets the engine free rev under full throttle load.
This happens to me when my car throws the p1235 code. Had it happen to me just day before yesterday. Jumped on the freeway, smashed the gas in 4th gear, RPMs went from 4k just as turbo started to spool, code was thrown putting the transmission into LIMP, then the clutch disengaged, sending the RPMs smashing against the rev limiter. It's the 3rd time it's happened to me.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Talking

Let me be the 1st to say, Good job Philam! Please give me a ride in your car when I'm in Ill. (Chicago I go there once a year) !

No I don't think your engine will blow after this, I have a friend who has an MR and an FP red turbo and DDs and Track races it (he has an SSP deep pan and oil cooler kit), I may tell him to chime in on this thread but he's been on it 6+ months with no problems. I do think that what everyone is hot to talk about (hot subject right now) is TCU reprogramming. Since it seems neither Mitsubishi nor Getrag will release any tools whatsoever, and not much gets leaked, it's all the tuners and privateers figuring it out. Just a matter of time

I myself have experienced limp mode where the engine and the SST transmission get "decoupled" and the tranny lets the engine rev freely, but the rev limiter is still there. Sure it sounds dangerous (for the engine) and in my opinion the SST shouldn't do this, it's completely unsafe for this to happen, especially when you are on the fwy, but hey thats why TCU reprogramming is the hot subject !!!
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alphawav
Let me be the 1st to say, Good job Philam! Please give me a ride in your car when I'm in Ill. (Chicago I go there once a year) !

No I don't think your engine will blow after this, I have a friend who has an MR and an FP red turbo and DDs and Track races it (he has an SSP deep pan and oil cooler kit), I may tell him to chime in on this thread but he's been on it 6+ months with no problems. I do think that what everyone is hot to talk about (hot subject right now) is TCU reprogramming. Since it seems neither Mitsubishi nor Getrag will release any tools whatsoever, and not much gets leaked, it's all the tuners and privateers figuring it out. Just a matter of time

I myself have experienced limp mode where the engine and the SST transmission get "decoupled" and the tranny lets the engine rev freely, but the rev limiter is still there. Sure it sounds dangerous (for the engine) and in my opinion the SST shouldn't do this, it's completely unsafe for this to happen, especially when you are on the fwy, but hey thats why TCU reprogramming is the hot subject !!!
Hey let me know when you're in Chicago lol ... I'm feeling more confident about the MR's now i have done my upgrades, but i'm not too familiar with the interior of the SST or even the software all that much. But i do worry about the MR's being weaker, but if i'm going to blow an engine then what is stopping all the gsrs with an FP Red blowing up as well, we are all using the 4B11.... I think once the car comes back to me (which should be a couple of weeks) i will need a new MAF sensor as my car seems to be shifting through the gears still.... But i will keep you informed...

Also i have included a few pictures of the Deep Transmission pan...
Attached Thumbnails Philamthebest's SSP Rebuild-dsc01739.jpg   Philamthebest's SSP Rebuild-dsc01740.jpg   Philamthebest's SSP Rebuild-dsc01741.jpg   Philamthebest's SSP Rebuild-dsc01743.jpg  
Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

wowsers, they weren't kidding when they called it the "deep" pan the more I look at that part, the more I want it.... (that is the SSP deep pan right?)
Old Feb 14, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alphawav
wowsers, they weren't kidding when they called it the "deep" pan the more I look at that part, the more I want it.... (that is the SSP deep pan right?)
Yeah thats the deep pan, but the shallow pan i believe holds only 1 liter less.... and same design... i may get it sprayed red, i'm not sure yet. lol
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:46 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Do you have to take off the undertray to run those pans?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Yessir.... This is something that can't just cant be put on with listing the hood. I'm not sure of the exact installation process, but i will take more pictures when the car comes back on Friday!! :-)
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yessir.... This is something that can't just cant be put on with listing the hood. I'm not sure of the exact installation process, but i will take more pictures when the car comes back on Friday!! :-)
That's not what I meant, I meant do you have to keep the undertray off to have this mod. i.e. does the sump pan stick down lower than the undertray, to where the undertray would stick down further if it was put on over the pan?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
That's not what I meant, I meant do you have to keep the undertray off to have this mod. i.e. does the sump pan stick down lower than the undertray, to where the undertray would stick down further if it was put on over the pan?
I don't know for a fact, (haven't talked to SSP yet) but the fins on the pan are there to help heat removal... for that you need air flow. So, I suspect that you either remove the undertray, or modify it to allow airflow to the transmission sump.

Keith

Quick Reply: Philamthebest's SSP Rebuild