Notices

Possible SST problem

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible SST problem

So last night as I was leaving work I decided to try driving in manual sport mode (first time doing this). While the car was still parked I put the car in manual mode and then put it into sport mode. I then began driving and all was well. A few miles later traffic started to get heavy so, while driving, I popped the car back into automatic mode and then switched it back to normal mode. All of this is within the standard operating procedures according to the user manual.

Ever since I popped the car back into automatic mode from manual mode the car has been acting strangely. The automatic gear shifts aren't as smooth and it seems to rev higher when switching through the gears as well. There's also a slight mechanical clicking noise that I started hearing sometimes when the car downshifts from gear 2 to 1. Is this normal??? When I got the car home I looked underneath and I didn't notice any fluids leaking or anything. I don't hear any grinding when the car gears up or down. I just got the car last week so I'm going to take it to the dealership and have them check it out. I don't have any error lights regarding the transmission or anything, but it's just not driving the same as it was a day ago. Needless to say I'm pretty concerned.

Also, this morning while driving into work I sped up to change lanes and a car from a lane over tried to get into the same spot as me. Of course he was on his cell phone and had no turn signal on so I quickly hit the brakes to avoid the guy and then when I pressed the accelerator the car revved up pretty high (above 4 rpm) for a second or two before the computer adjusted properly. This might be normal since I was accelerating, quickly braked, and then accelerated again all in a matter of seconds. I'm just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about.

If anything I have posted here sounds like normal SST behavior PLEASE tell me because that will make me feel so much better lol!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

haha more then likely just the new car jitters..

have it checked out, thats why they sneak that extra cost for the warranty might as well use it.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

It's all normal The sst make weird noise clicking and sometimes grinding its a wet dual clutch so no need to worry... You have to get to use to it... Broke in the engine first drive normal and baby the tranny when you reach 3000 miles and first oil change then time to push that tranny hard as you want...
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:04 AM

Thanks for putting my mind at ease guys lol! I'm going to keep my ear/eye on it though. I'm taking the car by the dealership tomorrow afternoon already so I'll ask them about it. Hopefully they won't mind running a diagnostic on the SST while I'm there. I have no idea how long that would take, but I'd rather have it done just to get full peace of mind.

Normally I don't get this panicked over this kind of stuff, but this Evo is so foreign to me lol. I just want to be as proactive as possible in preventing any kind of trouble with this car. I plan on keeping this Evo for quite a long time and I don't want things going bust in week one LMAO!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you let your car warm up a little? SST gets alot smoother once fully warmed up.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^+1 the sst shifts quite abruptly when cold
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:24 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the exact same problem. It doesn't click or clunk as much in automatic mode vs. normal. I think it's cause once you put it in manual, it started to learn your driving habits. It's probably trying to pre-shift the non-driven clutch according to what it thinks your driving habits are and that might not always match up with what it should be.

I started driving almost always in manual mode after the first 1000 miles and I know what the car used to shift around 2800 in automatic mode. After some spirited driving, even in back in automatic mode, it would hold it till 3500 and change.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by xi
I have the exact same problem. It doesn't click or clunk as much in automatic mode vs. normal. I think it's cause once you put it in manual, it started to learn your driving habits. It's probably trying to pre-shift the non-driven clutch according to what it thinks your driving habits are and that might not always match up with what it should be.

I started driving almost always in manual mode after the first 1000 miles and I know what the car used to shift around 2800 in automatic mode. After some spirited driving, even in back in automatic mode, it would hold it till 3500 and change.
Yup, that's what mine does. It's just a tad more jerky than what it was a day ago. I'm going to keep it in automatic-normal unitl I reach 1000 miles and see how it does from there.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

you can sleep well tonight everything is fine....and + 2 warm up your car the sst run smoother when its warmed fully..
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by chazyronnie
you can sleep well tonight everything is fine....and + 2 warm up your car the sst run smoother when its warmed fully..
Thanks! I just ran the Evo up the road to Arbys for lunch and the car is driving normally again. I'm still going to keep an eye on it and take it easy on the trany, but I feel a lot better now!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 05:47 AM

yer mine is a pain when cold once it warms up it smooth
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:01 PM

SST Temps

I watch the temps on mine and it's worth knowning that it takes a good 10 minutes and sometimes upto 15 minutes on a cold day to get to normal driving temp 60 to 70c.