Notices

Evo X MR SST PROBLEM **PLEASE HELP**

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X MR SST PROBLEM **PLEASE HELP**

Hey guys, I recently bought my evo it had about 40k miles, and the sst was shifting really hard so the dealer had it replaced. After 5k the tranny completely died. I started the car, put it in reverse and the light started blinking, I put in drive there was no blinking but the car did not move. Basically the SST is not engaging the gears, no check engine lights or maintenance lights on. The weirdest part of all it happend all of a sudden, I do not drive the car rough or never mishifted

So I am posting today because the car has been at the dealer for over a month now and I am hoping someone could shed some light on my issue.

Here is what they have done:

- Replaced Shift Knob Assembly
- Reflash the Etacs with new software
- Removed car starter and any mods
- They also stated they replaced the computer for the tranny
- And finally they actually replaced the complete transmission

The car is still not working, I am going insane because there has been no progress and with the new transmission installed it is still not working. The dealer is saying they have never seen this issue because there is absolutely no error codes.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Find a dealer that actually knows what they are doing...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

yeah useless dealer it sounds like... or lemon.

So basicly they put a new tranny in after the original failed? and then supposedly replaced that "new" tranny with another one already.

I dont know about you but I'd be trying to get my money back or something
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:27 AM

The thing is my file has been handed over to Mitsubishi Canada and now even escalated globally. The dealer is only doing what the head office is advising them. The mechanics are not even allowed to do anything without approval for warranty purposes. I was hoping someone that did aftermarket work on a SST would know this issue because they seem clueless
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't help the OP, but wanted to remind everyone that he or she is in Montréal, and Québec does not have a Lemon Law, so let's not waste time on that issue, please.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

skazoura, PM'd.

I'm the SSP rep and coincidentally located in MTL.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:08 PM

my only guess is that something this simple could have been overlooked...

when i was putting the cai on my mr, the location for the mounting bracket is supposed to be the transmission but k&n didn't make a bracket for the mr, only the gsr. i removed the bolt from the transmission (was just being used for another bracket) and tried to fiddle with it to make it fit anyways but to no avail. so i finished putting my cai on and cleaned up and got ready to leave my friends house. i turned the car on and let it warm up, had no cel lights or anything. when i went to put the car into gear, it wouldn't engage. I had left that bolt out. after putting it back in the car ran fine and i didn't have any further issues...

so is it possible that after that 5k the bolt could have shaken loose or something along those lines?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestion
I will take a look tomorrow. I will be heading over there to see what is going on. Do you have a pic or maybe describe the location of that bolt. Because this issue happened so suddenly without any previous issues, so it might be something as simple as a bolt or a loose connection
I really appreciate your response, I hope I can get my car running soon
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Honestly this could be as simple as the SST not having enoght or to much fluid but without a mechanically sensible or someone that remotely understands any mechanics at all behind the keyboard this is not going to go anywhere.
OP, if the dealer replaced the SST and reprogrammed it and it still doesn't work, then it's they're problem...they Oviosly did something wrong.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:35 PM

They checked the transmission fluid levels, when they hooked the car up to their laptop they were able to see that the ECU was getting a response when changing gears, however the transmission is not receiving the signal.

The last news I got was that they will remove my car alarm/starter because that might cause a problem even though it was there for 4 years... The mechanics and dealer are not the problem it’s the stupid head office that is taking their sweet *** time with their dumb diagnostics. When they finally changed the transmission that basically eliminated any chances of the issue being mechanical
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:06 PM

These are the bolts i was talking about. I hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails Evo X MR SST PROBLEM **PLEASE HELP**-securedownload.jpg  
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the quick response and the pic. I will take a look first thing tommorow
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:47 PM

no problem. good luck
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by skazoura
Thanks for the quick response and the pic. I will take a look first thing tommorow
havent heard back so i wanted to see if there was any news... did you have any luck?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:25 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Canbus could have issues. This is the harness that is responsible for sending and receiving signals to the SST. Handles throttle and brake input.

Quick Reply: Evo X MR SST PROBLEM **PLEASE HELP**