Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Is 2003 last year for EVO WRC?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2002, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is 2003 last year for EVO WRC?

I don't know what to do?Cry or be happy?Looks like is planning on pulling EVO out of WRC competition for 2003.Instead ,they want to start new Colt domination.Who knows?One thing I know for sure !!! EVO ,You will be missed!!!!!EPOCH OF LANCER EVOLUTION!!!! Am I right guys?!!!

Here's link:
http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/News/2002/0...Motorsport.htm
Old Nov 25, 2002, 10:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks. Why is there no mention of the EVO VIII? I know Mitsubishi had a crap season, but that is no reason to go to a different car.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

I'm little bit confused,because posted new set of colors for EVO WRC' 03 and here they're talking about new COLT instead of Lancer.God help US
Old Nov 25, 2002, 10:19 AM

First, I think it would be a bad business move with the release of the US versions ("Hey buy a car that used to be good at racing, but sucks now"). Second, I think they will/should asess the situation as needing better drivers and possibly a different engine or mods to the current engine. Subaru is doing great with a similar chassis. Skoda did as well as Mitsubishi with a similar chassis and much less experience. Mitsu looks like the K.C. Royals. They have a good concept, but after they devolpe drivers, they leave for more $. WRC is not a profitable business. If they are going to compete, they can't afford to do it half *** or they will look like fools as they did this past year.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

The Lancer WRC is already confirmed for '03.
The COLT WRC would at the earliest start to race in the fall towards the end of the season, IF approved by the FIA to replace the Lancer mid-season.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 10:42 AM

I think changing to the Colt is the correct decision. Lets just face it guys, the current Lancer body is a boat. There is no way it can compete with the Peugeot/Ford Focus/etc. You can blame it on Mitsubishi's current drivers all you want, but the fact of the matter is that Tommi Makinen did drive this car at the end of the 2001 season, and it cost him the drivers championship because the car just plain sucks.

Sure the Lancer Evo has a huge heritage, but so did the Galant Rally car before it. Just because they stop using the car in the WRC does not mean they will stop making the street version.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Totally agree with you Gendo-san.
However, for some fans out there, the rally heritage makes up the essence and soul for this car. To those dedicated individuals a Lancer not co-developed with rallying in mind has lost its soul.
The COLT has a heritage of its own. started its rallying invlovement with this car 40 years ago. This said, with a WRC COLT we may be witnessing the birth of a new legend.
Also, imagine a car with the Lancer's power and handling, but 500lbs lighter

Last edited by evomk8; Nov 25, 2002 at 12:02 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 12:58 PM

yeah i agree. if wants to start being competitive again they need to switch to the smaller and lighter car. You'll notice that the cars that are at the top of the leader boards right now are the small lightweight 2 door Peugeot 206 and the Ford Focus.

I don't think they'll stop making the EVO it just means that with the re-development of the Colt they might have a better chance a winning again, plus they will now have a car they can market directly against the Honda Civic Si

Just my $0.02
Old Nov 25, 2002, 01:20 PM

Can someone tell me (or point me to the right direction) what are the rules for WRC cars? Weight, dimension, HP, etc. To me it doesn't make sense how lightweight hatchbacks competing against sedans.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 01:56 PM

I agree with a switch to the Colt - You can't tell me that if a street version of the WRC Pug 206 was avaliable (4 wheel drive / 300+HP) that you wouldn't buy one of those! - I would!

Like evomk8 said - Evo power but 500 pounds lighter!
Old Nov 25, 2002, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by lap561
Can someone tell me (or point me to the right direction) what are the rules for WRC cars? Weight, dimension, HP, etc. To me it doesn't make sense how lightweight hatchbacks competing against sedans.
Check the link below, it's quite a read

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/Cars_Background4.html

Enjoy
Old Nov 25, 2002, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

It could be that the E7 was rushed into production. This caused all sorts of reliability problems. I mean it was hard to reclaim the success from the E6 by TM.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 04:36 AM

eee....whatever.....Evo will b my favorite forever...pulling out from wrc..so what? skills does matter!
Old Nov 26, 2002, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

I don't understand how you guys read the Colt IS replacing the Evo this year, when all they said is, they are investigating the possibility. The decision hasn't been made yet because the Evo has a very strong heritage and fan base. Here's the quote:

"The company also said that it was seriously considering switching from the Lancer to a Colt World Rally Car, and a decision on which car to use would be made soon.

“We are investigating everything," said Sven Quandt, the man heading up Mitsubishi's new motorsport company. "We have to be careful with the heritage of the Evo but we have to look at our competitors. The Colt is currently under a very detailed study, we are asking what will be all the consequences for this car, on the engineering side and on the marketing side. But we also know that in the WRC, the Lancer has a heritage, especially in Japan. We expect to make a decision within the next four months.”"
Old Nov 26, 2002, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

I think that it would be a good move on Mitsu's part. The Evo 7/8, as I understand it, is more tuned to be a street machine, and is supposedly doing well as a JGTC car.

I don't know why everyone says it's a bad business move due to it starting to crop up in the US, because, let's get real, who really beyond true enthusiasts enjoys rally over here? No one. You say rally, and they more often than not associate "gumball" than WRC. I say that if the Colt can get them into the hunt for manufacturing points, then they should do it.

Quick Reply: Is 2003 last year for EVO WRC?