Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Road Racers !!! who shuffle steers, and who doesnt?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2004, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I shuffle steer only when the turn is so sharp as to demand it. But I don't think thats what you meant. By moving the hands to the position on the wheel to give a greater feel and feedback when not absolutely required feels right and I find myself doing it when I get sloppy. But I make a point not to when it's not demanded. If things go wrong your in a better position to save/regain control by having your hands at a normal fixed position
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:11 AM

I personally perfer to "push" my hands on the wheel, hands at about 9&3 positions. If there is a turn that takes me past 120 degrees of wheel turn, I will drop my outside hand (of the turn) down to about the 8 O'clock position. This works well for me at Laguna Seca, ButtonWillow and WSIR. (Oh BTW that is in a Lancer OZ)
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:39 AM

I do it. I learned it a "specialized" driving course (to avoid becoming a roadside IED target). At first I was very reluctant, but I've found it's very good for accuracy in corners as well as feeding out lock in oversteer/understeer situations.

Also, crossed arms + airbag deployment = broken arms...
Old Dec 27, 2004, 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by -130 R-
I do it. I learned it a "specialized" driving course (to avoid becoming a roadside IED target). At first I was very reluctant, but I've found it's very good for accuracy in corners as well as feeding out lock in oversteer/understeer situations.

Also, crossed arms + airbag deployment = broken arms...
EDIT: Spellchecked (it's late)
Q: What is a roadside IED target?

Rant: Doesn't it suck that "safety" devices pose such a threat? I always see barefoot chicks in passenger seats nonchalantly propping up their feet on the dashboard. I wonder if they know in a frontal impact they will be removing her toenails from her eye sockets.

As soon as I see Petter Solberg roll his car 12 times and get out wishing he had an airbag, I'll be sold on them. Till then, I think they are just plain rubbish and a menace.

Anyway, I figure if I drive the way that feels comfortable/safe to me, I'll be less likely to deploy my airbag in the first place. I swear the powers that be won't be satisfied till the earth is coated with some sort of foam rubber and we drive around in Nerf footballs at 5 mph.

Last edited by machron1; Dec 27, 2004 at 03:31 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by JTB
It depends on how tight your rack is. On tight tracks, with the Evo, you definately have better control if you shuffle. My left hand, however, usually stays in the same place in the Caterham.
how tight my rack is? well... i dont have m-*****.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

I really like using a "loose" method for holding and manuevering the steering wheel because it feels like I have more control of the direction of the vehicle
Old Dec 29, 2004, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ImportUpgrade
I really like using a "loose" method for holding and manuevering the steering wheel because it feels like I have more control of the direction of the vehicle
Loose??
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mayhem
Loose??
I believe he means not having a "DEATH GRIP" on the steering wheel.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Also, great to see that theres a good number of responses in this thread
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Myles@Racecomp
I believe he means not having a "DEATH GRIP" on the steering wheel.
Gotcha. I still wouldn't use the word "loose" though, sounds like one step away from one hand on the wheel at 12o'clock and the other hand using the cell phone.

I go with more of a "firm" grip. Death grip is bad, I agree, it cuts off circulation to the hands and arms and fatigues you much quicker. It's also harder to get any steering feed back with the death grip, especially after your hands go numb.

I use the Evo's Momo steering wheel grip that is built in at the 10 & 2 o'clock. Although I wish I could grab the steering wheel at 9 & 3. The 10 & 2 is comfortable for a few minutes but I quickly begin to have circulation problems after that because of the angle of my forearms.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:59 AM
Former Vendor

thats how if done it 10 years. works for me
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

The only problem I could see with shuffle steer is the 'opportunity' for a part failure, and if you are shuffling, you may not have a firm enough grip to 'hold on', not a death grip., but more firm than shuffling. I still think it comes down to preference, I do both, I find each helpful, depending on the condition. I find at the edge, shuffle is better, because that is the way I learned, and when rotating the car, you 'typically' have more wheel to recover with. HOwever, when instructing beginners, I always do the 9 and 3, and shuffle only when totally necessary to avoid crossing the arms. I don't want a beginner to 'attempt' to shuffle his butt into the infield or tirewall.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

I do not shuffle steer. I keep a very gentle grip on the steering but keep my hands a close to 9 and 3 as possible. I never cross my hands and yet find very few if any situations where I am tempted to shuffle steer.

I think it is more of a matter of personal preference as I think both can be developed to a very high level of control. I just don't do the shuffle thing cause is seems too imprecise to me as it is many smaly movements as opposed to one fluid one. Like I say...just my preference.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

I shuffle steer as well
Old Jan 17, 2005, 04:07 PM

Thumbs up "thumbs Up"

I have always taken time to instruct students to relax their grip and never wrap a thumb "they would like to keep" around the steering wheel.

It always saves one from broken thumbs when you bump something with the front wheels.

MachC5

Quick Reply: Road Racers !!! who shuffle steers, and who doesnt?