Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Motion Ratio?

Old Mar 5, 2019, 07:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 720 Likes on 566 Posts
I really dont understand why Ohlin cant accept they are wrong in something as simple as this. And its not like its a new thing, its been 10 years or more and the MR takes like less than an hour to measure.

They also screwed up pretty bad on the Ohlin flags with their canister locating pin breaking on nearly EVERYONES sets. The guys I talk to that don't know about the pin issue usually check and don't have one anymore. And then others Ive talked to tell me of the broken canisters they've had to have repaired. It was an easy enough fix with a little bit of thinking but they just aren't interested in going back and revising their parts unless it means cost reducing them (see current R&Ts vs the previous DFVs).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
old platform, no need to develop anymore. 8/10 is what i run on my dfvs
Old Mar 9, 2019, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I really dont understand why Ohlin cant accept they are wrong in something as simple as this. And its not like its a new thing, its been 10 years or more and the MR takes like less than an hour to measure.

They also screwed up pretty bad on the Ohlin flags with their canister locating pin breaking on nearly EVERYONES sets. The guys I talk to that don't know about the pin issue usually check and don't have one anymore. And then others Ive talked to tell me of the broken canisters they've had to have repaired. It was an easy enough fix with a little bit of thinking but they just aren't interested in going back and revising their parts unless it means cost reducing them (see current R&Ts vs the previous DFVs).
What is the difference between current R&T vs DFV?
I thought R&T = DFV?
Old May 2, 2019, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
do the motion ratios impact actual ride from the springs as well? i.e., if it's 10k in the back with 0.6 MR, does it "feel" like a 6k spring, or just behave like a 6k spring but ride like a 10k spring?
Old May 2, 2019, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru

It rides as what the wheel rate its, which includes the motion ratio.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (May 2, 2019)
Old May 2, 2019, 10:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOFans
What is the difference between current R&T vs DFV?
I thought R&T = DFV?
They are the same. The DFV (Dual Flow Valve) is a product feature on the Ohlins R&T, which are coilovers built for Road & Track.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Pal215
They are the same. The DFV (Dual Flow Valve) is a product feature on the Ohlins R&T, which are coilovers built for Road & Track.
They arent the same exactly when it comes to modifying them. The original DFV bearing housings are different both front and rear from the current R&T. For most it wont matter but does effect things when trying to install my rear coaxial spring perch.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Dallas- did you ever make a lil how to doc on how those rear perch things go together? I know I asked you like a year ago when I picked em up but looks like I'll be playing with my suspension in the next few weeks .
Old May 2, 2019, 12:39 PM
EvoM Guru

I thought you guys sorted it out? It was basically you use just the perch and the factory spacers instead of the spacers I sent. Make sure you have full articulation of the hat and its good.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Lol, naw I've got front and rear plates from you and springs all around that I need to swap over, just haven't got around to it. But if its self explanatory then all good I'll learn to fish
Old May 2, 2019, 05:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 572 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Lol, naw I've got front and rear plates from you and springs all around that I need to swap over, just haven't got around to it. But if its self explanatory then all good I'll learn to fish
If you have the new style and get hung up let me know. @V.8MR and I did his last year. I don't remember the exact order of spacers etc. on the rear but we can always grab photos for you.

Last edited by Ayoustin; May 6, 2019 at 09:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
heel2toe (May 5, 2019)
Old May 3, 2019, 07:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicolas
I recently bought a set of Ohlins DFV and contacted the company to make sure that the spring go in the order of 8/10 as i read in the forum. However their response was much differentthan what i expected.

Hello,And thanks for your message.We recommend the 100N in the front and 80N in the rear.The Motion Ratio of the Car is nearly the same front and rear.You have more weight in the Front so to have a solid balancedBase I would go this way.I guess that some people change the Springs to change the Balance to oversteering.Because it´s an 4x4 with some weight in the front axle. This cars are normallymore in the understeering way.
So my question is, what is the motion ratio front and rear. Do most users install it in the "wrong" way? Is the company (Ohlins) ignorant in regards to the product it sells? Is it something different?. I am really confused.
Did Ohlins write that or one of their resellers?

Could be a little bit of liability-avoidance in the response, too.
Old May 6, 2019, 09:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 221 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
If you have the new style and get hung up let me know. @V.8MR and I did his last year. I don't remember the exact order of spacers etc. on the rear but we can always grab photos for you.
I can get some pics for posterity tomorrow when I get back in the garage.
Old May 7, 2019, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Did Ohlins write that or one of their resellers?

Could be a little bit of liability-avoidance in the response, too.

Directly from Ohlins. Sweden.

https://www.ohlins.com/contact/contact-us/
Old May 8, 2019, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V.8MR
I can get some pics for posterity tomorrow when I get back in the garage.
Thanks bud if you have pics handy post em up! Might throw car up in the air this weekend and overhaul suspension but TBD if I do that or cross off one of the other million things on my list.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motion Ratio?